Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
For my upcoming trip, I'm definitely sticking with other films for the SLRs. I already have a good supply in the fridge of 160 films and Reala, which I know. Some Ektar is coming which I need to get to know in the next 3 weeks before I decide to take it along. Compared to the cost of the trip and the opportunity which could be lost, it never makes sense to skimp on film.

However, for the price I will try the Gold for my XA/XA2/Stylus, which tend to have film sit in them a while. They have been fed mostly Walgreens film lately anyway, and it is actually more expensive.

05-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gold does suit the P&S, and the Retina folding camera

Retina

Although, with the 43 Ltd on a ZX-L it's not bad either

05-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #18

Looks good to me.

I just shot a roll today along with 3 rolls of 400UC and a
garden tractor Plow Day. Should be scanning them tonight.
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aha! A kitty kitten! *scoop.*

Actually, I'd kind of written off that Kodak Gold series film a long time ago, and hadn't looked back or expected much: the first kind they came out with, I actually rather liked, (I think it was called VR-G: a great improvement over the previous stuff of that grade) ...after that they seemed to be going for kind of violent primary colors, which I didn't like and also seemed totally out of step when people were wearing a lot of pastels.

After that stuff, it seemed that there was something like a megapixel war on about overly-vivid colors (supposed to be a 'feature,') and fine grain: I came to despise Coke cans... it always seemed to be one somewhere in frame out there, just ready to turn into screaming disharmony in a nice shot, I went to Ektachrome, apart from Vericolor for weddings, sometimes some Fuji, until they did a similar number on my very favorite Ektachrome 64P, at which point I threw up my hands and considered anything but monochrome a waste of time but for the most utilitarian of purposes.

Hadn't actually noticed Kodak color since then, till a few recent threads. Does seem they're doing some respectable things, now. The Ultramax 400 I've been noticing for a while, partly for just being neat to me, even in ways I don't usually go for things looking, but Nesster showed some flexibility's there, too. Must be like an actual fidelity improvement. And with the Gold, I really liked the browns on that gift shop shot.

I do like my colors subtle, generally. Muted, even. I'd kind of written off Kodak consumer films as having been going for 'pop' long ago. But, you know, this got my attention.

05-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
...I will try the Gold for my XA/XA2/Stylus, which tend to have film sit in them a while...
That has been my strategy for my Olympus XA. I get great results with Gold 200 with it.

Steve
05-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't follow your strategy Stevebrot (and GeneV). Could you please explain it?

It sounds like Kodak Gold 200 can sit around for a while and not show many signs of aging. Is that what you are saying?
05-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I don't follow your strategy Stevebrot (and GeneV). Could you please explain it?

It sounds like Kodak Gold 200 can sit around for a while and not show many signs of aging. Is that what you are saying?
Not any sort of strategy really. I prefer to shoot the cheaper stuff (Gold 200) in camera bodies that I use less often and/or don't use for serious work. It is a shame to take photos using an excellent material like Ektar 100 and then have the image degrade due to time the film spent sitting in the camera. It is also a shame to shoot snapshots using pro-grade materials.

Steve
05-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Ahh, OK. That makes sense.

I'm trying to get a feeling for what kinds of films are out there and how they perform. I'm not in love with the images from the Kodak Gold, but they sure are better than the consumer Fuji 400 that I've been using.

I just bought some Provia 160 and Portra 100. These are easily the most expensive films I've used so far. I hope they really make a difference, because the consumer Fuji makes me want to stick with digital!

On the other hand, the Kodak Gold is clearly a step above my consumer Fuji. And if the price is similar, then maybe I'd be more likely to give it a go despite my initial cold feelings for the photos.

05-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That has been my strategy for my Olympus XA. I get great results with Gold 200 with it.

Steve
My poor old XA took a fall on to the ceramic tile yesterday and popped open the film door and bent it. So, the Gold may just be for the XA2 and Stylus.
05-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have gotten far better results using Kodak Ultramax 400 than with the Fuji consumer grade film.
My drugstore sells it for the same price as Kodak Gold 200.

Chris
05-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter

My poor old XA took a fall on to the ceramic tile yesterday and popped open the film door and bent it. So, the Gold may just be for the XA2 and Stylus.
Ouch! Sorry about your loss. My XA went skiing with me today (lots of snow still in the mountains) and survived.

Steve
05-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #27

I like Gold 100...have a whole bag of it in the freezer, stocked up when Wegman's was getting rid of it for like $.75/roll.

We had a plow day on Sat and I shot with Gold 100 and 400UC.

Nasty winds of over 50mph, but the rain missed us.

05-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ouch! Sorry about your loss. My XA went skiing with me today (lots of snow still in the mountains) and survived.

Steve
The aftermath of bicycling got mine. I have to say, it was pretty ugly already. The plastic was polished shiny and just about every corner was brassed. A life well lived.
05-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The aftermath of bicycling got mine. I have to say, it was pretty ugly already. The plastic was polished shiny and just about every corner was brassed. A life well lived.

*hats off.*

Tried straightening the door? It's been known to happen. I remember fixing one for a customer when I worked retail, and my Nikonian friend just had an XA serviced somewhere.
05-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*hats off.*

Tried straightening the door? It's been known to happen. I remember fixing one for a customer when I worked retail, and my Nikonian friend just had an XA serviced somewhere.
I might. There other issues with this one, and I was actually getting better photos from the XA2.