Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In this instance it appears to be an advantage to have a well worn camera...

Chris

06-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #17

Back to the winder...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Winder MX adds plenty of mass plus a vertical grip with shutter release.

A more compact option is the custom MX metal grip available on eBay.
It makes the camera easier to hold without shaking, but can do nothing
to address the camera body's small controls grouped so closely together.

Chris
Hey there,
I just picked up a used Winder MX and I was wondering a couple things. The power switch has three positions, C - Off - S. C runs the motor continuously and S allows starting and stopping of the motor, but it seems backwards to me. With the switch in S, I have to hold my finger on what I want to call the shutter release button to keep the film from advancing. Is my winder broken or is this how it's supposed to work? Also, is the shutter release supposed to work in manual when the unit is off?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide, this is new to me.
06-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"S" indicates single frame mode.
Film should not advance until you remove pressure on the winder's shutter release.
From your description it sounds like yours is functioning correctly.

There should be a manual for the Winder MX on pentaximaging.com

Chris
06-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
to add to this discussion, i had an MX which was serviced by Eric as well and the shutter speed dial was very stiff
Mine has only just come back from a CLA, and I was using it during my lunch-break, today. Whatever the shutter speed dial was, it was not enough for me to notice anything.

However, after taking time to make some really well-thought out shots, I did notice that the rewind lever was not turning in step with my film advance lever. After some checking, I felt sure I had not anchored the film leader adequately and it must have slipped out of the take up spool: sure enough, on opening the back, the leader was out of the take-up spool and all my "artistic endeavours" had been wasted.

Never mind. Fixed up the leader and tried to replicate the shots, but the mood was somewhat diluted

I'll check out the shutter speed dial tonight.

06-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #20

Thanks Chris,
I ended up putting the winder on and taking it off a couple times, looking at the linkage between camera and winder. I noticed a linkage that moves when the shutter is released without the winder on and looked for where that contacted the winder. I think that is where my issue was, the mating linkage on the winder was sticking or something. After working things with my fingers for a short time, everything started working great.
I took my chances with this winder on ebay, since the seller couldn't tell if it worked or not, but my gamble payed off.
Do any of you long time winder users recommend cleaning/adjustment methods for these winders? I checked pentaximaging.com for the manual, there are downloads for Winder LX, Winder ME and Winder ME II, none for MX. Are any of these close enough to learn some basics about mine?
06-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
to add to this discussion, i had an MX which was serviced by Eric as well and the shutter speed dial was very stiff
I checked my shutter speed dial: while it is a finger and thumb job to turn it, it doesn't seem overly stiff.
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #22
Forum Member

If I aggressively advance the film in my extra MX sometimes it feels like the advance lever "jumps a tooth", for lack of a better term. Has anyone ever noticed anything like this? If I advance the film in a more placid manner it doesn't seem to happen.

Not that it's a major issue. I picked up a black MX a few months back so this one (chrome) has sat unused ever since.

Brad

06-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Oh, to sing the praises of the MX! I just picked up another one off the 'bay after my original from high school/college was sent off to Dad for repair. I think he's had it so long he thinks it's his instead of mine . I love this camera and am so happy to have one to use once again. Luckily the one I got has a working meter...that's what I sent mine to Dad to repair (a repeat problem with that camera). It has a dented prism and crooked hotshoe (which didn't work when I got it, but I fixed it last night) but it's still a thing of beauty to me. I would love to get the Winder MX for it...as I used to have one on the other one and it worked great and gave a nice ergonomic grip...albeit a bit larger than the little camera without.

And Ludlow...my new camera came with a Winder MX manual...would you like me to scan it for you? I can post it to flickr if you're interested.
06-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
Inactive Account

My MX still has a problem with a small piece of fabric that is projecting into the light path and causing one long edge of the frame to be unexposed. But, I now know exactly where that is (between the mirror hinge and the film gate, under the prism. So, back it went to be fixed (sigh).

Never mind, a fifty year old car would have even more problems, I guess.

Now waiting for it to return.
08-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a MX and its winder. Wonderful camera, but...it started draining its meter cells rapidly. I had it worked on several times by a (supposedly) good shop, and I removed the bottom plate and checked the tiny contacts which turn on the meter. They seemed to be opening and closing the circuit as they should, according to my digital VOM. But it still exhausts the cells in only a few days!

Any one else have any suggestions, or should I send it to Eric, along with my LX which needs a CLA.
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I only just noticed this thread, but the camera mentioned in the review quoted by the OP (which is mine) is for sale with an MX Winder and M50/f1.7 :-) Check the For Sale thread for details!
08-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I guess I'm in the minority on this thread, but having owned a KX, MX & LX, I'd have to say the MX is my least favourite of the three.
I can see it's a great camera in many ways, but I found it just too small to comfortably fit my hand and most of all I found the viewfinder too small.
I seemed to spend all my time squinting into it trying to work out whether I'd hit the focus well...
08-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hot shoe Quote
I guess I'm in the minority on this thread, but having owned a KX, MX & LX, I'd have to say the MX is my least favourite of the three.
I can see it's a great camera in many ways, but I found it just too small to comfortably fit my hand and most of all I found the viewfinder too small.
I seemed to spend all my time squinting into it trying to work out whether I'd hit the focus well...
I tend to agree. I have large hands and the MX never felt comfortable. I would have bought one new, back in the day, except for that. I have the same problem with the Olympus OM bodies.

Steve
08-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hot shoe, Steve

Hey guys I felt, as you do, the MX was too small for my not overly large hands. I used for 6 months or so and it just never “felt” right. The addition of an MX winder solved this problem and made it a perfect fit for me. It handles like a totally different camera with the winder in place. These winders can be had fairly cheaply and should be standard equipment if you are a MX user.

Coincidentally, I found my K10D to be too small without the battery grip as well. The grip made a world of difference with this camera. The extra battery and storage for the remote and extra memory card were just a bonus.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-23-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
08-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
...Now waiting for it to return.
Its back and working just fine.