Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #1

Not-SuperProgram-Reviews

I think the contacts introduced with the Super Program (my first Pentax) let the body SENSE the aperture setting, not set it. The linkage that drives the autodiaphragm already let the camera control it, by moving the close-down lever and hence the blades more or less. The lens does not contain anything like a motor that could use information sent through the contacts to move the blades to some particular position.
But otherwise I agree, nice description, nice pictures!
Bob Wilson

05-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I had thought actually that the whole auto-diaphragm mechanism is in fact what the Super Program introduced. You set the lens on "A" and the camera could then either match the aperture to whatever shutter speed you set, or set both for the first "program" mode in Pentax.

Do I have that wrong?
05-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlwilsonjr Quote
I think the contacts introduced with the Super Program (my first Pentax) let the body SENSE the aperture setting, not set it. The linkage that drives the autodiaphragm already let the camera control it, by moving the close-down lever and hence the blades more or less. The lens does not contain anything like a motor that could use information sent through the contacts to move the blades to some particular position.
But otherwise I agree, nice description, nice pictures!
Bob Wilson
Strictly speaking, you're correct. The aperture is set by the camera by moving the stop down lever on the lens. The camera displays the automatically set aperture in the view finder. Neither would be possible without the lens contacts which encode the min. aperture of the lens and the number of f-stops which the lens covers.
05-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I had thought actually that the whole auto-diaphragm mechanism is in fact what the Super Program introduced. You set the lens on "A" and the camera could then either match the aperture to whatever shutter speed you set, or set both for the first "program" mode in Pentax.

Do I have that wrong?
You have that right. Not until the "A" lenses were program and Tv automation possible.

06-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Just a little note...my OCD side can't help but note that this camera, for which the A series of lenses was produced, is portrayed here with an (excellent!) M-Series lens!

Okay, I have that out of my system now...breathe....

Thanks for this wonderful database!
07-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I prefer the Program-A since it does not have a motor drive
I believe otherwise tey are (almost) the same
07-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The Program-A doesn't have Tv mode, while the Super A does. That's the key difference.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Redwood Quote
The big plus of the Super Program is TTL flash. The big negative is that I find the LCD viewfinder difficult. In weak light you need the illumination button..which give barely enough backlight. The real thing..I wear glasses and the LCD is so located that I have trouble seeing the full display and when I can the LCD numbers are blocky and take getting used to. The P3n went back to a shutter dial. The ME Super was a bit smaller-with a nice viewfinder (LED)..but neither had TTL flash.
If the P3n had TTL and spot meter....it could have been a terrific camera. Pentax later did put everything togather with the ZX5n....though the viewfinder again was difficult.

For flash..if you don't wear glasses...the Super Prog is quite solid.
The P3n did have TTL.