Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, it depends on who is running the mini-lab. I was using Costco until they botched two rolls of film (undereveloped Ektar 100). The local pro lab (Blue Moon in Portland) does a consistently excellent job and charges about the same as Costco. Convenience is about the same for both labs so the choice was a no-brainer.

Bottom line...find a lab that works for you and give them your business. Let them know that you appreciate their quality work.

Steve
Blue Moon is pretty well known. Yeah, I'd go there if I lived in Portland.

05-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been happy with local Costco with my film, the total cost (Developed, Print and Scan) $7.00. No doubt, Blue Moon would do a much better job but does cost more. Developed $3.00 + $.45 per print and $10 for low resolution scan for a 24 exposure, the total is $23.80! Of course, if all you need is developed only and no print and scan, Blue Moon would be the way to go.

David
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
I have been happy with local Costco with my film, the total cost (Developed, Print and Scan) $7.00. No doubt, Blue Moon would do a much better job but does cost more. Developed $3.00 + $.45 per print and $10 for low resolution scan for a 24 exposure, the total is $23.80! Of course, if all you need is developed only and no print and scan, Blue Moon would be the way to go.

David
I would not use Blue Moon for routine scans or prints...simply too expensive and I am not sure that they offer any real advantage for scanning or routine machine prints. They are supposed to be pretty good for custom optical enlargements, though.

Steve
05-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Over in Perth, Australia film processing seems to cost a fair bit more from what you guys are saying. It usually costs me between $20-30 for a roll of 135x36 to be developed, scanned and burnt to CD. With the cost variation being whether it's C-41 or black and white. This is at a pro lab who are very professional in their work.

I used to get dev + scan done at a local chain store, and whilst they would only do C-41, the cost was about the same. As others have mentioned the main issue is whether the operator cares or not. I noticed a large difference in results between the pro lab and the chain store, 90% of which I'd put down to the amount of pride they put into their work.

05-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would not use Blue Moon for routine scans or prints...simply too expensive and I am not sure that they offer any real advantage for scanning or routine machine prints. They are supposed to be pretty good for custom optical enlargements, though.
I have not used Blue Moon, but I have never been all that thrilled with the scans I get for the money paid. If you have the scanner, it is better to use it.

The film developing is hard to correct if they blow it, though.
06-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was at Costco yesterday talking to the film tech about their C41 machine.

When the machine breaks, they probably won't fix it. If the machine lasts a year or more before breaking, then at that point they might stop buying chemicals.

Apparently they are prepared to retire film.
06-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I was at Costco yesterday talking to the film tech about their C41 machine.

When the machine breaks, they probably won't fix it. If the machine lasts a year or more before breaking, then at that point they might stop buying chemicals.

Apparently they are prepared to retire film.
Did they seem busy? The lab at my local Costco is busy all the time with about 3-4 people working the machines.

Steve

06-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I go to Costco about once every other week, often during their busy times (weekends). I like to look over and see if any film is drying or being cut. Usually, the only film they are processing is mine.

But they are busy. Doing digital prints.
06-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #24

I haven't developed color film since college 25 yrs ago. Maybe we will need to learn the C41 process and purchase a scanner. Although I do enjoy developing B&W, then take to local photo store they scan to cd. Then on a rare occasion I will have a print made.
06-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I expect most places with C-41 developers to discontinue processing film when their machines break down or reach the end of their life. All of the drugstores and grocery stores that used to offer developing near me have closed their labs or are digital only, though some stores in the same chains still process film at locations in neighbouring cities. I currently have to drive about 40 minutes to get to a lab that does a half decent job.