Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ME or SUPER ME

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello Everyone, I need to replace my Pentax MV. I know its a dinosaur but I really liked that Heavy Metal LOL. So which would be the best choice? The camera body will be purchased thru e-bay. Any opinions greatly welcomed. THANKS

05-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Of the 2, ME Super would be it. ME is an auto only like MV I believe.
05-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME Super if you'd like to manually be able to adjust exposure.

If you're open to other bodies, I'd strongly recommend the Super A or Super Program, which has everything- TTL flash, P, Tv, Av, and M all in a compact body for around $100.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Me super

moving to the Me super from a K1000 was an easy transition for me
never did shoot a lot involving flash, cant really compare to other model lines
that seiko shutter the ME super had, was that utilized in other models?
Remember it to be quite sucessful, heard other companies used it
in their models.

05-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Once you get a hang of lighting, you'll want manual mode.
05-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I know of nothing that'd be better in an ME than in a Super, so get the Super, all other things being equal.

Either would be a bit of an upgrade from an MV, so that's OK.

Super Programs are also nice. Not as wonderful of a viewfinder, but they have nice features and I think easier-to-use manual metering.
05-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I must be sick: I want everybody to collect a couple dozen film bodies, like I do. Get another MV, and an ME, and an ME Super. Also a Super Program or Program plus as suggested above, but you'll find those are somewhat bigger and noisier than you're used to.

I've been shooting with an MV1 the last couple of days, and am enjoying it even though it offers less control than I am used to.

05-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
ME Super if you'd like to manually be able to adjust exposure.

If you're open to other bodies, I'd strongly recommend the Super A or Super Program, which has everything- TTL flash, P, Tv, Av, and M all in a compact body for around $100.
Those are certainly nice although between a Super Program and the ME Super, for me it comes down to this: The ME Super has the nicer viewfinder, whereas the Super Program offers DoF-preview. It will also allow you to use lenses without an aperture ring. This might be interesting to those who own a DA lens that offers enough frame coverage. The DA 40mm ltd will, so will the DA* 200mm/300mm and the DA* 55mm.

And yet, it turns out that I've used my ME Super a lot more often than the Super Program. While I only occasionally miss a Dof-preview, I will always miss a superior viewfinder.

Having said that, maybe the OP should see if he can find a K2 instead, as unlikely as that is. It's the most elegant of film-bodies, Pentax or otherwise. As far as features go, it's only beaten by the rather unobtainable LX and it handles just as nicely.

There's one available on ebay right now (the seller replaced the original photo he had ripped off camerapedia with one he ripped off from this side, but at least he added a note).

Cheers,
Tassilo
05-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Another vote for the ME Super. Really no more complex than the ME unless you want it to be. In either case, I would recommend a CLA as camera of that vintage are coming due for one.
05-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you want a point-and-shoot with manual focus go for the ME
If you want the option of having some more control in the near-future use the ME Super
05-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #11

Maybe me flickr group could be usefull to you: Flickr: Pentax ME (Super) - more than a photopool!

In the discuss section there is a list of all M-series camera's and there are some useful threads about using and repairing them. You can also find over 5000 pictures which are taken with a M-series camera.

My suggestion: get a ME Super if it's only about shooting, the other camera's are more collectibles and/or deliver less options. Although every M-series camera is a pleasure to work with.
05-16-2010, 04:50 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Let's not forget the ME Super's 1/2000 top shutter speed, either.
05-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i thought most people prefer the MX out of the M Series ?

I'm trying to get a nikon fm, but some of the Ai/s lense prices are going nuts around here.
05-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More is always better. Go for the LX.

Chris
05-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Let's not forget the ME Super's 1/2000 top shutter speed, either.
The SuperProgram has 1/2000 as well.