Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question for experienced developers

Hello,

I found a bunch of brown stains on some of the frames of a roll of Fomapan 100 120.
This was developed with Perceptol 1+4 stand development 1 hour.

Is that a problem with the film, the development or something else?

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 07-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.
05-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you made a paper print, perhaps there's a significant amount of dust on your projector's lens that's causing the spots? That would be my guess.

If this was a scan, then I'd say it's a scanned problem. I haven't seen anything like this arise due to problems with chemicals/temp.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer. I will check the ANR glass on the holder. This was not reproduced on the other scans so I am assuming that it is not on the lens.
I think that I need a loupe or a light table soon.

Cheers,

Luc
05-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I sometimes get something similar looking. It looks like some sort of residue when viewed through the loupe. I have taken it to be related to a reaction between Photoflo and my tap water. I have mixed the Photoflo with distilled water for the last couple of rolls and things have stayed clean.

Steve

05-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello Steve,

I am not using Photoflo but Edwal LFN wetting agent. I assume that it might apply just the same.
I think I remember reading something about Photoflo reacting with two much iron or something else in the water.
I have taken to use the old sink in the basement instead of the kitchen sink before. Maybe the tubing is the problem as I did not have this before.

Thanks a lot.

Luc
05-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If it was dust, then the marks should be lighter-to-white on your (analogue) print.
According to my trouble shooting book by AGFA-GEVAERT (publication # N159 page 12), this is due to moister before developing the film.
The dark stains are due to the fact that on this places the emulsion was 'wet' or the moister level was higher than the surrounding area. This 'wetness' can be caused, among others, by sneezing, speaking (singing), a wet developing thank/-reels or splashing liquids during the handling of the film after exposing and prior to developing. The emulsion acts like a sponge.
Moister in the emulsion slows down the acton of the developer, so on that particular spot, the film is less developed thus 'thinner' causing a "uneven developing".
This results in darker spots on the print because the emulsion is more 'translucent' due to the lesser development, so, more light passes thru and exposes the printing-paper even more.
This can be solved by retouching the negative with a more or less opaque ink, but this is a true and difficult skill.
The best way to handle this is to strictly separate the dry bench from the wet bench in you dark room, dry everything before using it and, above all, PRE WET before developing. Pre wet, or, pre wash, is to soak the film in clean water, at the same processing temperature and for about the time you need to mix the developer (+/- 10 min.), just before developing. This brings the emulsion on the right temp., avoids uneven developing and, according to AA, holds down the contrast and density in the highlights a little, which is a nice advantage too.
Of course, you will have to adapt the processing times by testing, pre wet slows down the developing action.

Good luck,
05-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello Philippe,

Thanks for the explanation. The symptom seems to fit what can be seen. Would this still apply to a pre-soaked negative. Because I pre-soaked 5 minutes the film for more even stand development and which also remove some of the blue dye.

Cheers,

Luc
05-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you presoaked for 5 minutes there shouldn't be the problem mentioned.
To mee they seem more like:
1- Marks of drying due to hard water or water containing iron (you mentioned those are borwn)
2- Dust in the lens? It may not be noticeable with the eye though but should be in the front element
3- emulsion

In how many frames did you see these?
I have had sometimes stripes that look like distant rain

05-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
If you presoaked for 5 minutes there shouldn't be the problem mentioned.
To mee they seem more like:
1- Marks of drying due to hard water or water containing iron (you mentioned those are borwn)
2- Dust in the lens? It may not be noticeable with the eye though but should be in the front element
3- emulsion

In how many frames did you see these?
I have had sometimes stripes that look like distant rain
I had this on maybe three (contiguous) frames out of the 15. I had read about some QC issue with Fomapan film but that these were over.
Now the tap water in Vancouver/Burnaby is one of the best in the world so in theory I should not have any issue. That said the plumbing in our basement is old and "home madish" so i think that I will try going back to the kitchen sink and see if this happen again.

Cheers,

Luc