Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #1

Asahi Pentax F m42 camera & 55mm f1.8 zebra takumar

Anyone one know the value of the Asahi F camera with the 55 / 1.8 zebra lens.

Exactly the same one as the photo:

Attached Images

05-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Zebra 55mm f/1.8 is rare-ish.
But with the current trend of old film cameras ... even if in good condition ... you'll get 2 tenth of stuff all for it. Unfortunately if you are at the seller.

It's a buyer's market really.
05-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That should be an Asahi Pentax "K" and not a "F" and it is a collectors item. Check the top plate and it should say "K"/ Please don't split it up...you should be able to get a reasonable amount for it if it is in good condition, and even if it is not, it can always be serviced by Eric....

ps...my avatar is taken with that camera and that lens...

Steve
05-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

And if it is in the same condition as above ... definitely don't let it go. I certainly wouldn't.

05-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the way the "E" in Pentax is reflecting off the lens barrel!!!
05-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
No one seems to have the answer for me by now. Still what's the approximate value for the set?
05-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
No one seems to have the answer for me by now. Still what's the approximate value for the set?
I think we would all be guessing because you don't see it that often. I have 4 Spotmatics, and I got them (no lenses) for anywhere from $25 to $75.

Yours is so much rarer, but it's still a matter of how high one buyer is willing to go--not what the majority of them would be willing to pay.

Do you know if the meter works? Nine times out of 10, they don't.

05-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
I don't have battery or ever try to make it work. Let's assume it does not work.
05-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This camera does not take a battery..... it's completely mechanical.
05-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Exactly the same one as the photo:
Is the camera in the photo the camera/lens you are referring to, or is it exactly LIKE the one depicted in the photo?
05-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Do a search on fleabay for completed items and you may be able to find what they have been currently going for. The cost really depends on it's shape. Is the baseplate scratched? Is there wear? Has it been CLAd by someone that knows what they are doing? Are all the speeds accurate? Does it come with the original everready case and cap? One with a stuck shutter won't get much more than the lens is worth $200-$300 but I think they range up to $500 for mint...
05-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Is the camera in the photo the camera/lens you are referring to, or is it exactly LIKE the one depicted in the photo?
At the very least the picture is stolen from Frank Mechelhoff's excellent Taunusreiter.de site about early Pentax lenses:

Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax

I guess the OP is mentioning a Spotmatic F with the 55mm f/1.8 Zebra Takumar? I would guess the Zebra is worth around $100-$150. The earlier 58mm f/2 Takumar is worth more IMHO (easily $200) because of it's unique Sonnar-derived design. The Zebra Tak is "just" a Double Gauss design (but a nice one! )
05-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I ran into a clean K with a Zebra 55mm f/1.8 for sale in Toronto last week. The body needed to be serviced (a problem with the second curtain according to the seller, but I can't recall what it was) and I believe that he wanted somewhere around $200 CAD for the set. I have no idea how that price compares to market value.
05-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I ran into a clean K with a Zebra 55mm f/1.8 for sale in Toronto last week. The body needed to be serviced (a problem with the second curtain according to the seller, but I can't recall what it was) and I believe that he wanted somewhere around $200 CAD for the set. I have no idea how that price compares to market value.
I think it's almost certainly a slow/lazy 2nd shutter curtain. This will prevent the closing of the 2nd curtain. This is a problem because the mirror will only come down after the 2nd curtain has finished closing.

As for the value: US$150, expecially knowing that it needs to be CLA'd. The real value is in the lens.

By the way: Pentax never made a better looking body IMHO! Even the Spotmatic looks worse. Also, the winding lever is not ratcheted like in later cameras, so that lever goes extremely smooth. Too bad they got rid of that feeling in later cameras
05-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
At the very least the picture is stolen from Frank Mechelhoff's excellent Taunusreiter.de site about early Pentax lenses:

Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax...
Good eye! Any discussion about value will have to ignore the photo, take the description as being accurate, and assume average condition for the lens and non-working for the body. Sounds sorta strange though...Spotmatic F with zebra Tak?

Steve