Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

MX Eyepiece

I just brought home a MX, and I'm having trouble seeing things clearly through the eyepiece. I don't wear glasses and my vision is pretty good.

My other cameras are a K200D and Leica M3. I keep the diopter adjustment slid all of the way to right on the K200D and I never have any trouble with the Leica's rangefinder.

What's the deal with this? Are my eyes bad and I'm just unaware? Things seem to sharpen up if pull my eye back about 1/2 and inch, but then I can't see the edges of the frame.

I've seen some websites stating the camera has a -1.0 diopter eyepiece. Is this correct? Should it be +/-0? Any help is appreciated. While I'm liking the camera, I'm afraid this could be a deal-breaker.

05-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be that your camera has been modified at some time or your vision may be changing. These things happen with age to most of us and we lose the ability to focus close. As Chris noted, supplemental diopter adapters were made for your camera and should be available used or as new-old-stock (NOS) at auction or from dealers that specialize in old camera stuff. Take care though. There are at least two different sizes of Pentax eyepieces and the adapters for one size don't fit the other. You want the Pentax M adapter.

Steve
05-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Yes, the diopter of the MX is -1. Diopter correction lenses are available, but hard to find. You want the "M" type, they fit the M series (!) (and they fit your K200D should you some day need a stronger correction than what can be set with the slider)!
05-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If you normally keep the slider on the k200d all the way to the right, it suggests you're somewhat nearsighted (unless the k200d is different from the k100d). So putting reading glasses in front will only make it worse - you won't want a +1 supplemental diopter, but a -1 or something in that direction, if you can find one.

You wouldn't notice these problems on a Leica, not because it's a different diopter or better viewfinder, but because rangefinder viewfinders work on a different principle. They can get away with a big DOF because they focus by parallax. An SLR needs short DOF to help you focus, but that only works if your eye is able to take in the focusing screen clearly.

05-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scotto Quote
I just brought home a MX, and I'm having trouble seeing things clearly through the eyepiece. I don't wear glasses and my vision is pretty good.

My other cameras are a K200D and Leica M3. I keep the diopter adjustment slid all of the way to right on the K200D and I never have any trouble with the Leica's rangefinder.

What's the deal with this? Are my eyes bad and I'm just unaware? Things seem to sharpen up if pull my eye back about 1/2 and inch, but then I can't see the edges of the frame.

I've seen some websites stating the camera has a -1.0 diopter eyepiece. Is this correct? Should it be +/-0? Any help is appreciated. While I'm liking the camera, I'm afraid this could be a deal-breaker.
Basically all SLR viewfinders have this -1dpt correection, because it puts the viewfinder image into roughly 1 meter viewing distance (virtually ofcourse), which makes viewing the viewfinder image more relaxed and allows for keeping the numbers and the subject image in focus at the same time.

If only this single camera does not allow your eyes to focus correctly, it might be, there is already a M correction lens in place - albeit the wrong one? Ot the viewfinder lens became damaged/misaligned?
Ben