Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Home rolled spools won't have DX.
Is it not possible to "recycle" commercial film containers of the appropriate coding? Also, I have heard it is possible to mimic the DX coding by judicious use of conductive strips applied to the cassette.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pshrink Quote
I do have exposure compensation on the P50 if I think I need it.
This is true - it's more flexible than the P3/30 series in that regard. It begs the question of whether there is a Pentax camera which is nothing more or less than the P3/30 series with full ASA control. My P50 was actually a compromise - I originally wanted and bought a P3 but it was faulty, and the P50 was the next simplest thing they had on the shelf.

08-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pshrink Quote
So what is the problem with DX coding?
OK, if you are going to shoot monochrome, and use some arcane processing ritual (sacrifice a chicken at midnight, maybe) then DX coding can get in the way.
Otherwise, what is the point. I do have exposure compensation on the P50 if I think I need it.
If I wanted monochrome, I could (still can) scan a print, and turn it into mono in Photoshop. With digital, almost every shot gets turned into mono just to get an idea, and then worked on if it warrants the effort.
This is an approach that has worked well for me - your gas mileage may vary.
If you want to shoot film from a smaller company like Adox or CineStill Film which do not use DX coding, then the P Series cameras revert to 100 ISO. So shooting CineStill Film 50 ISO or 800 ISO is out. Pushing/pulling any film is also out.

The problem is not that these cameras have DX coding, but they do not have a manual ISO override that appeared on the next generation Pentax AF film bodies. Pentax was in too much of rush adopting DX coding and should have waited until they got the override figured, especially in the flagship P50.

Phil.
08-15-2015, 02:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Is it not possible to "recycle" commercial film containers of the appropriate coding? Also, I have heard it is possible to mimic the DX coding by judicious use of conductive strips applied to the cassette..
I can't see why it's not possible.

I've successfully backrolled film into recycled canister for redscale, so can't see any reason it wouldnt work the right way around.
I jsut rolled them by hand though under a thick blanket (before I bought a darkbag)

But people who bulk roll use a little machine thing, which I assumed needed the canister opened? (not sure, never used one)
08-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Sure, manual film speed setting would have been nice, but its lack is no reason to deny yourself the charms of this camera.
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Simply get another body for the rare occasion when DX coding won't do.

Chris

09-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The more I use these cameras, the more I like them. My P3 is more of a classic, but the P30T is operationally more my favourite - the grips may be plasticky but they make the camera significantly more ergonomically friendly than the original model, while the camera has aperture priority capability with any compatible lens that has an aperture ring and the battery compartment (at least on my model) is a slide-lock affair rather than the coin-opening version of the original. My children are fascinated by it, though the younger one hasn't quite got her head around the idea of film yet - whenever I replace the film cartridge, she thinks I'm changing the battery!

The only thing I really miss for candid shots is an onboard flash, but I have one that came (and was probably bought) with the P3. Fixed head, of course, and no switches except on and off, but anything more sophisticated back in the day was probably a true pro piece of gear.