Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the mirror slap rather hard on older bodies (K2, Spotmatic)?

Hi

I have many Pentax 35mm film bodies and the ones from the seventies, my Spotmatic and K2, have a rather loud mirror slap. The mirror foam has deteriorated, of course, but so has the foams on many 80's bodies too, where the mirror is much more quiet.

How much would I benefit from replacing the mirror foam above the mirror?

05-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It may make the mirror quieter and also save damage to the mirror if you replace the foam. It's easy enough to do.
05-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also have a few bodies from nineties (P-series), where the mirror slap is again louder. But here the mirror foam is good. Cheaper build?
05-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

... or the effect of the Olympus OM on camera design. Suddenly, size, weight, and loudness mattered as marketing items.
Then, the OM moment was past, and cameras came with big batteries, built in motors, and all plastic build.

05-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
I also have a few bodies from nineties (P-series), where the mirror slap is again louder. But here the mirror foam is good. Cheaper build?
There is always a certain component in the shutter/mirror noise that isn't "slap" per se. It's particularly noticeable in the P and A bodies, I think. As such, you'll hear it regardless of how good the foam cushion is.

Still it's good to replace the foam bumper when it starts to get in poor shape, even if it doesn't help with noise -- otherwise the mirror might start sticking, there's more possibility of light leaks via the viewfinder, goo can get on the mirror and in other places, etc.