Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Non-motorized Pentax Apres Spotmatic?

I'm not too sure of when or which Pentax cameras after the Spotmatic got all motorized or lost the M42 mount. I am thinking I may want something later than an SP2, with a hot shoe, but that I'd still much prefer to keep to a non-motorized camera except for the light meter battery thing? Are there any later models with hot shoe that don't require a battery just to function at all? That maybe don't have the K-mount instead of the M42? I might go K-mount with an M42 adapter at some point if I could find a later one that wasn't going to require a battery for the whole camera to function. I just don't particularly like motorized cameras much when it comes to 35MM film ones.

I've got a few really good M42 lenses now, but my Spottie 1000 doesn't have a hot shoe and I want to step up on the body a bit, I think. I was thinking SP2, but wondering what else I might be able to get.

Thanks!

05-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SPII has hot shoe. Have look at the ES pair...
05-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I assume by motorized you mean the electronic shutter????
M42 with hot shoe are SPII or SPF
K-mount; Most of the K series (KX - K1000 - KM) are purely mechanical and just the same as the Spottie but with K mount (not sure about the K2)
And the MX is also mechanical
ME Super has a electronic shutter but works fine with M42+adapter; if battery fails it shoots in 1/100 and B at least

Last edited by titrisol; 05-31-2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: forgot about the MESuper
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think that all the cameras that have a light meter that don't use a selenium cell require a battery to make the light meter work.

Sorry, you said other than the light meter battery, my bad.

05-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, I was under the impression the K series cameras were more mechanized? Cool. MX too huh? I'll have to check them both out then. Maybe I should just use the adapter and get a K series. That would give me both sets of lenses, both mounts to use ultimately. Thanks!

Yeah, I don't mind that because you can always shoot without it if it ever goes south. The AE-1 I have you can't even test the shutter without a fully charged battery. I grant you it's an easy battery to find, unlike some, but still, that just bugs me. I can use an SP sans battery all day long if I have to. I really like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I think that all the cameras that have a light meter that don't use a selenium cell require a battery to make the light meter work.

Sorry, you said other than the light meter battery, my bad.
05-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The K series cameras work well, metering wise, with screw mount lenses. I would expect the MX to work well also. The only thing you lose vs. SPII is auto diaphragm, and vs. SP-F the possibility of open aperture metering.

Another alternative, if you don't mind going off-Pentax, is one of the Fuji ST series, or another late mechanical M42 model.
05-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not entirely sure I'd go with another Fuji given how the two digital cameras I have owned from them have each had some real limitations. To be fair they were glorified point and shoots, though my S7000 does have some manual settings, but still I'm not sure about Fuji quality overall, after those two. But if they use the M42 mount and getting one is inexpensive I'd consider it. I think I am still going to splurge on an SP2 though if I can find one in decent condition locally that I can afford.

I have two M42 Vivitar converters? They're not supposed to be too bad for converters. I actually tried them both last night and they look pretty good to me. Not too dark at all. One of them just went for $40 on Ebay a couple of days ago. I don't really have a thing for those so I may just sell one of those and buy me a better Pentax. I'm looking just haven't found one locally that isn't pretty nasty so far.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The K series cameras work well, metering wise, with screw mount lenses. I would expect the MX to work well also. The only thing you lose vs. SPII is auto diaphragm, and vs. SP-F the possibility of open aperture metering.

Another alternative, if you don't mind going off-Pentax, is one of the Fuji ST series, or another late mechanical M42 model.
05-30-2010, 02:54 AM   #8

If you want to try something different, you could also go with the russian models of m42 and/or k-mount cameras, the Zenit. Watch out since there are some older Zenit that have a m39 mount instead. AFAIK, most of them are fully mechanical.

05-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was reading about those last night. They sound interesting, but the one thing that worried me a bit was that the page I was reading said that not all M42 lenses would work, that some might actually be damaged by use on a Zenit?
05-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #10

I don't really know since I've never used one, but it might be the same as in the earlier versions of the pentax SV where the 50/1.4 goes too deep into the camera that the mirror hits the lens. Possibly something similar that wont affect all your lenses, specially long/tele-photo lenses.