Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

My pentax "journey".

My prime interest is V8 Muscle Cars, but I've always had an interest in photography. My first "good" camera was a Kodak Retinette 1A, purchased around 1960, which I've still got.
Anyway, for a while, I never really worried about a good camera, I was quite happy recording anything on an Instamatic!
But, on one occasion, probably over 20 yrs ago, I mentioned to a family friend that I was thinking about a "better" camera, & she said, "have a lend of this"..."this" turned out to be a very nice early black Spotmatic with Pentax 1.4, & a couple of Hanimex lenses. I was happy with this outfit, but because she didn't really want to sell it, I decided to get my own stuff...so I started to look!
I ended up buying a mint Super A with A series 1.4. This was a sensational little camera....I notice that there's not much mention of them on here though. I then bought some other lenses.., 35/105, then a 28/135, & a 70/210 & a 400(A) prime all genuine immaculate Pentax A with original case & caps etc. Also bought a 280 Flash.
Then I heard about the LX...so I bought a S/H body...liked it so much I had to have a new one.. so I bought a new one....and ended up with just about every new LX accessory available, bought through a Hong Kong contact. I had all the finders, a A50mm 1.2, 400T flash with accessories, motor drive, ring flash etc etc. At one stage I even owned the MASSIVE 135/600 Pentax zoom in its original case! Then I lost interest...& sold it all...around 1996!
Several years later, I decided to revisit phography again, & with memories of that first Spotmatic, I bought another one...a black SP11 in great shape..pretty much as new, again with a 1.4. Used it a little bit, bought a few nice lenses, & then lost interest, so sold some stuff, BUT, kept (because no-one wanted them!) the SP11 1.4, 50m macro, copipod, aft200t flash, macro focus rail 111 etc.
Hadn't used it sinse 2003, & now I've regained my interest, the Spotmatic appears to still work ok..I'm using 1.5V silver oxide batteries, & I've just bought a nice Pentax SMC 85/210 zoom....which didn't have the close up attachment....but I found one...it's got a chip in it....so if anyone's got a mint one, I'll buy it.
So, that's where I'm at now, I'm going to buy some other lens's, which are MASSIVELY more expensive now, & I'm really appreciative of this forum.
Cheers, Pickles.

05-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

nice story, pickles.

I progressed from a K200D to a K20D and then to an array of M-s and K-s.
Then, found the Strobist and I really learned the manual operation.

The step towards large viewfinders and auto-focusing with no hunting of the old bodies was a baby step actually.
Now I use digital for other people and film for myself.
I enjoy the comfort and easy operation on my ME Super. The shutter sound sound is quiet and there's almost no camera shake.

I also use an ME and a Spotmatic. Beautiful cameras.
And I don't need to worry about my batteries gone dead.

Octav
05-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
My prime interest is V8 Muscle Cars, but I've always had an interest in photography. My first "good" camera was a Kodak Retinette 1A, purchased around 1960, which I've still got.
Anyway, for a while, I never really worried about a good camera, I was quite happy recording anything on an Instamatic!
But, on one occasion, probably over 20 yrs ago, I mentioned to a family friend that I was thinking about a "better" camera, & she said, "have a lend of this"..."this" turned out to be a very nice early black Spotmatic with Pentax 1.4, & a couple of Hanimex lenses. I was happy with this outfit, but because she didn't really want to sell it, I decided to get my own stuff...so I started to look!
I ended up buying a mint Super A with A series 1.4. This was a sensational little camera....I notice that there's not much mention of them on here though. I then bought some other lenses.., 35/105, then a 28/135, & a 70/210 & a 400(A) prime all genuine immaculate Pentax A with original case & caps etc. Also bought a 280 Flash.
Then I heard about the LX...so I bought a S/H body...liked it so much I had to have a new one.. so I bought a new one....and ended up with just about every new LX accessory available, bought through a Hong Kong contact. I had all the finders, a A50mm 1.2, 400T flash with accessories, motor drive, ring flash etc etc. At one stage I even owned the MASSIVE 135/600 Pentax zoom in its original case! Then I lost interest...& sold it all...around 1996!
Several years later, I decided to revisit phography again, & with memories of that first Spotmatic, I bought another one...a black SP11 in great shape..pretty much as new, again with a 1.4. Used it a little bit, bought a few nice lenses, & then lost interest, so sold some stuff, BUT, kept (because no-one wanted them!) the SP11 1.4, 50m macro, copipod, aft200t flash, macro focus rail 111 etc.
Hadn't used it sinse 2003, & now I've regained my interest, the Spotmatic appears to still work ok..I'm using 1.5V silver oxide batteries, & I've just bought a nice Pentax SMC 85/210 zoom....which didn't have the close up attachment....but I found one...it's got a chip in it....so if anyone's got a mint one, I'll buy it.
So, that's where I'm at now, I'm going to buy some other lens's, which are MASSIVELY more expensive now, & I'm really appreciative of this forum.
Cheers, Pickles.
Welcome to the film forum! You're right about the Pentax prices going up, your old gear is worth a fortune now!

Phil.