Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Film guys, who do you use for processing???

My first Pentax was a KX-7. Loved it. Turned out some really nice film photos. I then went to the *ist D DSLR and have owned many DSLRs from Pentax since. But I wanted to turn my hobby into a little fun like the old days and bought a Super ME film camera a few months ago. Since I'm trying to keep the "new" hobby cheap, I've been using York Photo for my mail order processing. I'm not happy with the results of late as they seem VERY dark, unlike years ago. Does anyone know of a good, "cheap" mail order company with results in the US that you'd recommend? Shooting film is a lot of fun, but I want to make sure I can afford it. Thanks!!!

Jamie

05-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one that was recommended to me by the folks here, when I was shooting film a year ago:

A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo
05-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I process my own B&W and send my C41 color negative work to the local pro lab. The pro lab charges $3 USD per 36 exposure roll, no print, no scan. I do my own scanning ($$$), but most minilabs will do a roll of low resolution scans for less than a dime a frame.

Steve
05-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film Processing

I am fortunate enough to live in an area with two excellent pro labs. They are:

Dorian Color in Arlington, MA || DORIAN COLOR ||
ColorTek in downtown Boston, MA Colortek The Pro Color Lab: Professional Photo Imaging in Boston

Not the lowest cost but definitely professional quality & service.

Buffy

05-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

I use E-Six, they're based out of Atlanta and fantastic.

e-sixlab.com
05-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Here's one that was recommended to me by the folks here, when I was shooting film a year ago:

A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo
i do my own b&w, color goes to dwayne's.
05-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Another vote for Dwayne's.

05-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Downtown Camera in Toronto.

Welcome to Downtown Camera

They give very predictable, reliable results, with C41, E6 and B&W. Price for processing and a CD of 6 megapixel scans is comparable to a cheapy low-res soup-and-scan from other places. The biggest difference is -- they actually know how to use their minilab

I also prefer the results from their Noritsu to the Fuji Frontiers that everyone else uses.
05-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #9

I use Color Services. Excellent E-6 work! Quick turnaround.
Color Services, LLC - A digital and analog photographic lab in Needham, MA
06-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter

My special stuff goes to Dwayne's or Blue Moon Camera Machine. My C41 goes to my local B&M. Some things I do myself depending on time.

Dwayne's has already been linked. Here is Blue Moon.

Services | Blue Moon Camera and Machine
06-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My special stuff goes to Dwayne's or Blue Moon Camera Machine. My C41 goes to my local B&M. Some things I do myself depending on time.

My film goes to Blue Moon. They are local to me and their C41 processing is quite reasonable. Scans from them are fairly expensive and are not worth what they charge IMHO.

Steve
06-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I live in Toronto and I use a little family-owned shop called EL PRO, located on Elm St. and Yonge St. They do everything (i.e. C41, B&W, and E6) on location and I've always had great results. However, I only use them for B&W and E6, as the few remaining Costco's that process C41 cannot be beat for the price (and their quality is equal, as all commercial C41 is automated anyway...). Aden Camera, across the street from El Pro, lost my business a few years back due to their arrogant film department staff, and solidified my departure when they ceased processing E6.
06-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I process my own B&W and send my C41 color negative work to the local pro lab. The pro lab charges $3 USD per 36 exposure roll, no print, no scan. I do my own scanning ($$$), but most minilabs will do a roll of low resolution scans for less than a dime a frame.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

I use Blue Moon as well, but have heard great things about Dwayne's. I also do my own B&W.

Pete

Last edited by Portland Pete; 06-04-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Grammar
07-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I use a couple of CVS drugstores - one in my home town, one in Hoboken NJ - for "CD Only" development of C41 - the scans are about 1500x1024 and usually servicable.

120 C41 goes to Mimosa Digital in Hoboken, develop only (their cheap scans are ridiculously tiny) or Dwaynes.

All slide film goes to Dwaynes. I like Dwayne's scans, both slide and C41, usually worth the added expense and time.
07-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This lab is pretty close to you in Denver.

They do the following:
- E6 Colour Slide processing.
- Customized B&W negative processing. (You get to pick the developer)
- Dr5 Chrome processing. (B&W slides and negatives processed as positives)

They do not do C41 colour negative processing.

I have only used them for the dr5 Chrome process of b&w slide film (Fomapan R100) and B&W
negative film (Efke) processed as a positive. I do all my E6 processing here in Vancouver, there are three good photo labs (E6, C41 and B&W) within five minutes from where I live.

Phil.

dr5 CHROME - Black and White slide / transparency process + THE ONLY QUALITY SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE