Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

Lx cla

Hello, I need to do CLA for my LX. Are there any locations in Canada I can ship my camera to? I am in Toronto area. If nothing available in Canada, what are my other options, where do you guys ship Pentax cameras in USA for CLA?

Thanks,
Darek.

05-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that you will overwhelmingly find that people here use Eric for Pentax CLA. He has done several for me and I am highly satisfied. If you do a search on this site, you will find similar results.
05-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darekj Quote
Hello, I need to do CLA for my LX. Are there any locations in Canada I can ship my camera to? I am in Toronto area. If nothing available in Canada, what are my other options, where do you guys ship Pentax cameras in USA for CLA?

Thanks,
Darek.
Eric is your best bet, we all send our film cameras to him for CLA's and other repairs.

Eric's web site:

Home

Phil.
05-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you guys! It looks like Eric will receive my LX vey soon

06-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #5

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to have the LX CLA'ed? I don't know if there are any local repair shops that I can trust with an LX,. Eric is definitely the most knowledgeable person there is.
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SquintyEyes Quote
If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to have the LX CLA'ed? I don't know if there are any local repair shops that I can trust with an LX,. Eric is definitely the most knowledgeable person there is.
I think it can vary depending on the condition of your camera -- how invasive the repair is and what parts need to be replaced. I think that the base cost is around $160 plus parts and shipping. Mine needed a lot of work and he actually had to snag a parts camera off ebay to get one part for it. I also had a new focusing screen installed and a new baseplate. My total came to around $220, but I had a lot done to my camera. I'm going to take a sizeable loss when I sell it this week.
06-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
.........when I sell it this week.

I wish you hadn't told us this

Note to self - stay away from the classifieds!!!

06-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I wish you hadn't told us this

Note to self - stay away from the classifieds!!!
LOL -- Carl -- how many of my cameras have you bought? I think that they were all serviced by Eric too. You don't have to stay away from the classfieds -- I'll PM you directly!

Cheers,

Adam
06-02-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL -- Carl -- how many of my cameras have you bought? I think that they were all serviced by Eric too. You don't have to stay away from the classfieds -- I'll PM you directly!

Cheers,

Adam

Hahaha

Someone has dumped an old dog kennel on the other side of the road opposite our house.

If another camera lands on the doorstep then that is where I'll be living!!

Cheers, Carl
06-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW Eric's LX service is a complete overhaul, not just a standard CLA.
This is what's required to keep it functioning properly for many years.
IMO the extra cost is worth it for this special camera.

Chris
06-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #11

Original Poster
I went today to Pentax Canada in Mississauga with my LX, they do CLA, and they have all the parts for it (seals)... but the price is ... $ 500.00 !!!!!
That seems very high to me... is it? Definitely I will send it to Eric.
06-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darekj Quote
I went today to Pentax Canada in Mississauga with my LX, they do CLA, and they have all the parts for it (seals)... but the price is ... $ 500.00 !!!!!
That seems very high to me... is it? Definitely I will send it to Eric.
Sounds like Eric is likely your man. If you send him an email with details, he can "guesstimate" it. He can also send you an estimate when he evaluates the camera before any work is done (though I do not know if he charges for that).
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
My wonderful ME Super started to shoot blanks. Took it to Gass Camera 5604 Johnson Dr. Mission, Ks 66202 (913) 432-6057. He replaced all seals, cleaned and lube for $135.00 + $10.50 tax. The owner been in business for something like 50 yrs. I been told this is the guy to get all camera work done. He works on movie cameras, Leica all brands. He told me "never had this camera cleaned have you ~ and I needed to depress the little white button all the way down before turning the dial". He was right on both accounts. Those prices are Oct. of 2009. Looking at the dates on the receipts, the camera was ready in 7 days. He will work on digital but, it sounds like he really don't want to. He also has pentax equipment on the shelf for sale, as far as that goes he has different brands of cameras and accessories for sale. I would never recommend this person if I didn't think he is honest. I took a Pentax zoom lens to him asking him to take a look at it as I thought the barrel was a little loose. He played with it and said its just fine, and didn't cost me a thing. Nice husband & wife team.
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric Hendrickson charges about $70 for most Pentax manual focus 35mm SLRs, including the ME Super.
The LX costs more. It is a more complex camera to work on, and his service is a complete overhaul.

Chris
06-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to take a sizeable loss when I sell it this week.
I see you are including quite a few rolls of film with your LX outfit FS.
Does this mean you are going filmless?

Chris