Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question about Super Program

I acquired a Super Program recently and I'm completely unfamiliar with these cameras. Is the ring around the shutter release (L, Auto, M, X, B) usually quite stiff? Apart from needing new batteries, this is a nice little camera. I don't have a need to keep it, but I don't want to sell a camera knowing it isn't working properly.

06-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After you click in the release button, it should be snappy but quite stiff at the beginning.
06-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not sure which "release button" you mean you mean, Adam. I have a pdf of the instructions I downloaded, but the images are all 1-bit and not terribly helpful. There's a grey piece of plastic next to the red indicator line, but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Is it perhaps broken?
06-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

On a working Super Program, the gray button must be pressed to permit the ring to turn into and out of lock. If your ring turns freely without ever needing to press the button, then that little button is broken.

It isn't a big deal. But you could more easily accidentally switch out of lock mode and snap a blank photo. You probably won't also accidentally advance the film too, so it will only waste one frame.

06-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
I'm not sure which "release button" you mean you mean, Adam. I have a pdf of the instructions I downloaded, but the images are all 1-bit and not terribly helpful. There's a grey piece of plastic next to the red indicator line, but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Is it perhaps broken?
The grey piece on the mode selector around the shutter is the release for the positions where that ring locks, yes. These buttons and rings often do tend to be stiff, so chances are nothing's particularly wrong.

Basically, that should press down, and then allow you to turn the mode dial out of Auto position, which is the only position into which it will lock: otherwise it doesn't do anything.
06-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. Would you say that this gray button is stuck then?

06-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Thanks for the help. Would you say that this gray button is stuck then?
Mine looks pretty much exactly the same. And Ratmagiclady was right, pressing the button lets you rotate out of auto. But I can rotate from lock to auto without pressing the gray button.

My wheel doesn't turn easy, but it isn't sticky either. But you definitely, 100%, need to press the gray button to leave Auto mode.

The gray button doesn't press very far at all. It has about as much up-down-action as the little button you press to adjust the ISO.

06-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well this one doesn't need to have the button pushed. In fact the button doesn't move at all, certainly not as much as the ISO lock button. I'm going to have to assume that it's non-functional. Thanks for everyone's help.
06-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #9

It's supposed to be sticky for your own good
06-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The grey button should lock the camera in A mode.
That button was present in the ME as well, and it took me by surprise at the beginning.

Make a habit of pressing that button when turning the dial; makes life a lot easier.
And yes, it a bit stiff/sticky specially if the camera has not been exercized in a long time; rotate the dial a few times and should be better.