Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirror Lock-up Modification for Spotmatics

I recently picked up a Honeywell Photo Products guide from August, 1975. At the back it has a “Custom Products and Modification” page where you can get a Mirror Lock-up installed on these Spotmatic models: F, II, IIa and SP500. You can also get a Matt Focusing Screen as well.

Just wondering if any of you have heard of this option and ever seen/owned an example?

Phil.

06-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I ran across the same page last year some time and inquired here. Woof responded with links on this page...

Cheers,

Adam
06-05-2010, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #3

The Spotmatic already has an "unofficial" mirror lockup. After advancing the film, tap the shutter release quickly and gently. The mirror will flip up. Press the shutter as normal for the exposure. Of course, I would do this with the camera mounted on a tripod.

Practice with an empty body. You'll pick it up quick. I use this "feature" all the time and don't even realize the camera "does not have it".
06-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I ran across the same page last year some time and inquired here. Woof responded with links on this page...

Cheers,

Adam
Thanks Adam, that's what I was looking for. Interesting option, I wonder if it was ever available for the KM or K1000?

Phil.

06-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
The Spotmatic already has an "unofficial" mirror lockup. After advancing the film, tap the shutter release quickly and gently. The mirror will flip up. Press the shutter as normal for the exposure. Of course, I would do this with the camera mounted on a tripod.

Practice with an empty body. You'll pick it up quick. I use this "feature" all the time and don't even realize the camera "does not have it".
I can confirm this. The way I do this is I flick my thumb from back to front over the shutter button quickly and sharply. It very reliably triggers mirror up.

Once can hear the difference. It sort of sound like only half of the normal cycle. Works very well, and once you have the hang of it, it is easy to repeat any time you use the camera.

woof!
06-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is an article about this catalog option feature. I have only seen on Spotmatic with this option. It was a black Spotmatic II, but that doesn't really matter. I guess someone that went to the trouble to order the mlu may be inclined to get the optional black. I didn't realize what the switch was or the significance at the time. That's why I know now.

Switches
06-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here is an article about this catalog option feature. I have only seen on Spotmatic with this option. It was a black Spotmatic II, but that doesn't really matter. I guess someone that went to the trouble to order the mlu may be inclined to get the optional black. I didn't realize what the switch was or the significance at the time. That's why I know now.

Switches
Thanks Blue. I guess these options were kind of like the car dealer “options” you could get for mussel cars in the 60’s & 70’s. I wonder what Head Office in Japan thought of them?

This must have ended with the Spotmatics, as there would be no point in having a mirror lock-up option for a KM that cost $40.00 when you could get a KX for $55.00 more.
The only options I have seen for the K series bodies is different focusing screens.

Phil.

06-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the KM had sold for $40 new Pentax would never have created the economy K1000.
FWIW around 1980 NY camera store ads listed new K1000 bodies for just under $100.00,
and you considered yourself very lucky if you managed to get it at the advertised price.

That $40.00 price tag for the mirror lockup option was not cheap in 1970's dollars.
Heck, many forum members here won't pay that for an entire camera today!

Chris
06-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
. . .
The only options I have seen for the K series bodies is different focusing screens.

Phil.
There were color options for most to the K series. I have a black K2 as well as a chrome one. The KX and KM were also available in black. The optional black was a hold over from the M42 era. The exception was the ES and ESII which were reversed in the black was standard and chrome was an option.
06-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If the KM had sold for $40 new Pentax would never have created the economy K1000.
FWIW around 1980 NY camera store ads listed new K1000 bodies for just under $100.00,
and you considered yourself very lucky if you managed to get it at the advertised price.

That $40.00 price tag for the mirror lockup option was not cheap in 1970's dollars.
Heck, many forum members here won't pay that for an entire camera today!

Chris
These are the August 1975 prices from my Honeywell catalogue for the K series film bodies:

KM Chrome: $265.50
KM Black: No price listed
KX Chrome: $319.25
KX Black: $344.25
K2 Chrome: $485.75
K2 black: $510.75

Phil.

PS The Spotmatic SP 1000 was listed for $250.00.
06-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
The same technique works with a K1000 too for the record.
06-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirror lockup is one feature on the KX I do not like.
It's too easy to activate when using the DOF preview.
I never use it, except inadvertently...

Chris
06-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Mirror lockup is one feature on the KX I do not like.
It's too easy to activate when using the DOF preview.
I never use it, except inadvertently...

Chris
Yes I agree the KX mirror lock-up function is not the best design. Pentax got it right with the K2, a separate switch was the way to go.
03-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #14

Sadly, impractical to do on ES or ESII on AUTOMATIC mode.
That's because the meter circuit would measure with dark viewfinder thus resulting wrong/long exposures.
Sadly, in particular, because the ES and ESII can actually meter accurately up to MINUTES long.
03-12-2013, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #15

Another way to get the mirror up on Spotmatics and S series is to advance the film about 3/4 ths of the way then fire the shutter to flip the mirror, then advance the film the rest of the way to cock the shutter then fire normally, try it. I find it easier than trying to partially flick the shutter button.