Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #1

mz-s aperture reading problem?

Dear fellow Pentax users, I have recently purchased a used mz-s camera. When used in aperture priority mode or M mode, the aperture reading on the LCD is not the same as what is indicated by the aperture ring. For example, when I set the aperture ring to f/2, the LCD reads f/2.8, and when I set the aperture ring to f/2.8, the LCD reads f/3.5. It seems that the camera reads half a stop slower than the actual setting by the lens. Is this normal and is there any way to fix the problem? Thanks.

06-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you by any chance have Exposure compensation set to something other than 0? Don't know if that would cause the issue stated but it's worth a look..

06-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Do you by any chance have Exposure compensation set to something other than 0? Don't know if that would cause the issue stated but it's worth a look..

Thanks for the message...
No the exposure compensation is set at zero.
06-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's one of the issues w/ MZ-S cameras. Not so common, but I've seen it happened to a couple of my friends' copies. It's the aperture coupling problem. When it happens, the aperture shown in viewfinder is different from the one set on the lens aperture ring (in M or Av mode). It has nothing to do w/ the exposure compensation 'cause in M or Av mode, the exposure compensation only changes shutter speed, not the aperture. The problem will cause inaccurate exposure, overexpose in most cases.

The only cure is to send in for service. One of my friend sent the camera to Japan to repair this problem, cost him about $150usd. The other friend sent the camera to our local Pentax repair center, but they couldn't fix it ...