Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
this is possible but it would need to be a horizontal cloth shutter, I wonder what type pf camera it is?
According to the OP, the camera is a Pentax MX...horizontal cloth shutter.

Steve

06-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Steve got to the answer first.

I would say light leak in camera or in development is eliminated, as is most likely any development screw up.

Leaves, unfortunately, a shutter issue.
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Steve got to the answer first.

I would say light leak in camera or in development is eliminated, as is most likely any development screw up.

Leaves, unfortunately, a shutter issue.
Yay Steve...oops, thats me

Steve
06-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
I agree with these guys. I had similar issues with my SV. At faster speeds the second curtain was catching up with the first. It's on its way to Eric for a CLA.

06-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #20

Original Poster
Hi again guys, first of all, thanks for all the answers!

Damn, i didnt think it might be the shutter, ill check it out tomorrow "by eye" and ill get a color roll monday to check each speed and see it if happens again.

Im guessing most of those shots were slow speeds, as i was just walking around the city using small apertures, and certainly not caring about moving people and cars...

HGMonaro, what i meant by "6 good / 6 bad strips" was that about half the roll was like this, and then on everything seems to be fine (all shots came out good).

Here are quick scans of the two "ok" frames in those two 1st strips:
( i really need to read up on correctly scanning so i can make the best out of everything)

Thinking about the possible sticky shutter issue, and thinking about the way this 1st roll came out, i just hope the stickyness "went away" after those 1st 18 frames... I guess ill develop two more rolls tomorrow night, hope for the best and see what comes out.
06-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marianozz Quote
HGMonaro, what i meant by "6 good / 6 bad strips" was that about half the roll was like this, and then on everything seems to be fine (all shots came out good).
the order this happened could give clues to what's the problem. For a second I wondered if you were developing in some weird and wonderful way to get individual strips!

QuoteQuote:
Thinking about the possible sticky shutter issue, and thinking about the way this 1st roll came out, i just hope the stickyness "went away" after those 1st 18 frames...
hopefully! There's a slim chance of this happening if you didn't put the camera down for an extended period (day or more) I guess. I had a light leak on the back of a Mamiya 645 once, but it only showed up (and wrecked!) individual frames when the camera sat around doing nothing. If I 'cranked' through the exposures it didn't have time to effect the individual frame.

Let us know how you get on.
06-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is possible that the second curtain is catching up with the first curtain before the first curtain complete's it's travel. Then when the second curtain reaches the first one there is no exposure.
Eric
06-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no question about it - that is definitely a shutter issue.

06-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Hi again guys, first of all, thanks for all the answers!

Damn, i didnt think it might be the shutter, ill check it out tomorrow "by eye" and ill get a color roll monday to check each speed and see it if happens again.

Im guessing most of those shots were slow speeds, as i was just walking around the city using small apertures, and certainly not caring about moving people and cars...

Here are quick scans of the two "ok" frames in those two 1st strips:
( i really need to read up on correctly scanning so i can make the best out of everything)

Thinking about the possible sticky shutter issue, and thinking about the way this 1st roll came out, i just hope the stickyness "went away" after those 1st 18 frames... I guess ill develop two more rolls tomorrow night, hope for the best and see what comes out.
Just for curiosity I’m going to Buenos Aries later this year, can you recommend a good photo lab for B&W and E6 development? Hopefully they also sell film!

Thanks, Phil.
06-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #25

Original Poster
The only place i know of is called "kinefot" (add "www" and ".com"). I know they do E6, and i know they sell film. Im not sure they do B&W, and i dont know about quality either, Ive never had anything done by them. I just go there to get Ilford film and chemicals.

Quick update!

I did two more rolls last night and most of it came out great. 6 bad frames in one, only 2 bad frames in the other.
06-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter

The only place i know of is called "kinefot" (add "www" and ".com"). I know they do E6, and i know they sell film. Im not sure they do B&W, and i dont know about quality either, Ive never had anything done by them. I just go there to get Ilford film and chemicals.

Quick update!

I did two more rolls last night and most of it came out great. 6 bad frames in one, only 2 bad frames in the other.
Perfect thanks, that's close enough to where I'm staying.

Glad your film turned out.

Phil.