Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
@arnold: I sent my H2 to Eric at the end of October, but told him there was no rush on it. At the end of November I checked on it & he said he could put a rush on it if I wanted, but I told him no, just send it when it's done. I received it a week ago (but didnt get a notification). Arnold, I would email Eric & ask for an update - I'm sure he'll respond.
It arrived on the last day of the year. He did more work on it than the quote.but I was happy to send the difference even if he didn't ask for it.

01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
He did more work on it than the quote...I was happy to send the difference even if he didn't ask for it.
Yes, that's always included in what Eric calls a "standard repair".
Clearly Eric has very high standards...

Chris
01-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #213
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A big thanks to Eric for repairing my damaged FA77. Got it back today looking and working like new. He (we) struggled for months in getting the needed parts and he finally got them just recently. We are fortunate to have this craftsman with integrity available to us.
01-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #214
Site Supporter

I just sent him a couple M lenses for CLA adjustment, and thanks to you guys for the positive reportage.

01-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I just sent him a couple M lenses for CLA adjustment, and thanks to you guys for the positive reportage.
Hmm.... I've been thinking about this for awhile.. Would he actually be able to CLA a lens? I mean, i've a few vintage manual lenses and i'm thinking of sending it in to him for some "CLA-loving".
Would this be worth it? I mean, of course, them lenses have tiny bits of dust, which don't affect IQ at all but just curious.

Would it be advisable? Or will it come back worse since i believe dis-assembly would be made for thorough CLA?
01-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #216
Site Supporter

The ones I sent had minor issues, but they'll get a full work over as well.
01-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hmm.... I've been thinking about this for awhile.. Would he actually be able to CLA a lens? I mean, i've a few vintage manual lenses and i'm thinking of sending it in to him for some "CLA-loving".
Would this be worth it? I mean, of course, them lenses have tiny bits of dust, which don't affect IQ at all but just curious.

Would it be advisable? Or will it come back worse since i believe dis-assembly would be made for thorough CLA?
Any lens you send to Eric will come back in better condition than it did when it left. His CLA services for lenses are just as good as for cameras.

But I have to ask...if there's nothing wrong with them, why spend the money on a CLA that will have no tangible benefit?
01-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #218
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How much does Eric charge for a lens CLA? I have a M28/2.8 with sluggish blades and stiff focus ring, and a M50/1.7 that needs to be lubed.

I've been saving to have my LX CLA'd and these are the lenses I would like to use with it (though my K55/1.8 & Vivitar 28/2 are useable now).

I should also probably ask him if he does non-Pentax lenses. I have a Rokunar 90mm macro that is very stiff.

01-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #219
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How much does Eric charge for a lens CLA?
It would depend on the lens, Eric has done a couple for me and the cost is around $30.00 to $50.00.

Phil.
01-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #220
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It would depend on the lens, Eric has done a couple for me and the cost is around $30.00 to $50.00.

Phil.
Thanks. I'll probably just send him the 35/2.8 since the 50/1.7 is functionally just fine (it makes a slight rasping sound when you turn the focusing ring).
01-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #221
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How much does Eric charge for a lens CLA? I have a M28/2.8 with sluggish blades and stiff focus ring, and a M50/1.7 that needs to be lubed.
I just had Eric "do" a Super Tak 100 f4 macro lens that had a messed up aperture/focus. Charged me $50 + $10 shipping. Lens is now in super condition.
01-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Any lens you send to Eric will come back in better condition than it did when it left. His CLA services for lenses are just as good as for cameras.

But I have to ask...if there's nothing wrong with them, why spend the money on a CLA that will have no tangible benefit?
Hahah! I don't know man... I'm a lover of the fast A lenses and i'm thinking, just like cars, sending them in for tuning(collimator) and grooming(CLA) once in awhile would be good, no?

But not too sure if he has the collimator for lenses though..
01-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hahah! I don't know man... I'm a lover of the fast A lenses and i'm thinking, just like cars, sending them in for tuning(collimator) and grooming(CLA) once in awhile would be good, no?

But not too sure if he has the collimator for lenses though..
A few years ago I sent Eric a beautiful K28/3.5 that was very soft at infinity. He adjusted the collimation and did a CLA. It is now the sharpest lens I own (pending playing with my new-to-me K30/2.8). Just ask if he has the collimator.

I also sent him a Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 Macro I had bought NOS/NIB that I sheared off the A locking pin, and an eBay donor Vivitar lens with an identical pin. When it came back I couldn't tell it wasn't brand new.

He even emailed pictures.

He also lubricated and adjusted three Auto-Takumars for a 'K' I had some years ago.
01-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #224
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I also sent him a Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 Macro I had bought NOS/NIB that I sheared off the A locking pin, and an eBay donor Vivitar lens with an identical pin. When it came back I couldn't tell it wasn't brand new.
Then I guess he'll be getting my Rokunar at some point as well.
01-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Original Poster
IIRC Eric gave me a discount on lens service when sent with a body for CLA.

Chris