Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,481
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
They arrived yesterday and look great ... the unwrapping and mounted with f1.4's ... gonna have some fun here, J (x-post)
Congrats - looking good! I still have the plastic bag & rubber band my H2 was shipped in

02-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #242
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,383
QuoteOriginally posted by pyrs n finns Quote
This gentleman sounds like a wonderful resource. Will someone share his contact info please.

Thanks Deb
From reputation ... and from what I have just received ... A+ !!! J

---------- Post added 02-21-14 at 18:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Congrats - looking good! I still have the plastic bag & rubber band my H2 was shipped in
Thanks ... have you used your H2 since? J

---------- Post added 02-21-14 at 18:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Very nice, enjoy using them!

Phil.
Merci, Phil .... J
02-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,481
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks ... have you used your H2 since? J
Actually, I haven't used it at all - it wasn't working correctly when I bought it, and sent it to Eric soon afterwards. I have a Gossen light meter on the way, and don't trust my Sunny 16 skills to use the camera right now!
02-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #244
Forum Member
JuanEstrada's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bogotá, Colombia!
Posts: 87
Hey guys, I recently bought a LX for about U$180 with a M 50mm 1.7. I was wondering how much the CLA costs... as an average... and another question, for those who have sent cameras to him, does he only fix internal mechanical problems or for example, you send your MX for a CLA and the MX paint on the logo has peeled away, does he paint that back? like, those little details?

02-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #245
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,383
QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
Hey guys, I recently bought a LX for about U$180 with a M 50mm 1.7. I was wondering how much the CLA costs... as an average... and another question, for those who have sent cameras to him, does he only fix internal mechanical problems or for example, you send your MX for a CLA and the MX paint on the logo has peeled away, does he paint that back? like, those little details?
Bonjour,

For CLA of a LX, I have seen/read figures about $250.00, but I may be wrong and it would obviously be best to contact Eric directly IMHO. I called him from France to be sure that the international shipping would not be an issue or problem for him. It was not. I do not know if he does cosmetic touch-ups, again maybe call him. My MX was in great shape, thus no cosmetic intervention like that was needed.

Salut, J
02-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #246
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,497
Hello: Jean is spot-on for a standard CLA to an LX. All those special seals must be replaced every time you open an LX body and the supply of seals kits is drying up.

As far as cosmetic renovation, restoration - I don't know directly, but Eric is very talented. I do know of a case where he fabricated shutter curtains for an H1a, so I'd email him and ask.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-22-2014 at 08:05 AM.
02-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #247
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,383
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... I do know of a case where he fabricated shutter curtains for an H1a, so I'd email him and ask.
Wow ... that's a good one to know. Salut, J
02-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #248
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,116
Eric has also made shutter curtains for my Asahiflex, so he can do about anything. (Except make curtains for the LX - titanium foil!)
The only work he turned down for me was a re-lube of a 35 f3.5 Takumar (semi-automatic) that was stiff from old grease. He indicated the tolerances on that were so tight that it might be worse if he took it apart. In truth is was smooth - just stiff.

02-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #249
Forum Member
JuanEstrada's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bogotá, Colombia!
Posts: 87
Hello guys, I talked to Eric and he said that the CLA would be $200 and for the A35-105 f3.5 another $60.00 I am so anxious to get my LX in the mail any day now and see it ok. I cant pay $400 for it to having working
02-22-2014, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #250
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
Hello guys, I talked to Eric and he said that the CLA would be $200 and for the A35-105 f3.5 another $60.00 I am so anxious to get my LX in the mail any day now and see it ok. I cant pay $400 for it to having working
Yep, that is about what it costs. What you may want to do is to replace the seals and foams yourself* and use the camera until it develops a serious issue and then pay the $200+ at that time.


Steve

* Handy kits from Jon Goodman are about $10 including shipping.
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #251
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,441
Original Poster
IMO getting a Pentax LX is not something to be taken lightly due to
the high cost of a proper overhaul, which is almost always required.

But once invested that $200 gets you a matchless camera
that should provide many, many years of reliable service.

Chris
02-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #252
Forum Member
JuanEstrada's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bogotá, Colombia!
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, that is about what it costs. What you may want to do is to replace the seals and foams yourself* and use the camera until it develops a serious issue and then pay the $200+ at that time.


Steve

* Handy kits from Jon Goodman are about $10 including shipping.
That is one of the options I am contemplating...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO getting a Pentax LX is not something to be taken lightly due to
the high cost of a proper overhaul, which is almost always required.

But once invested that $200 gets you a matchless camera
that should provide many, many years of reliable service.

Chris

That's true... And I was hoping that the camera was ok but I lost those expectations first becauase my biggest problem is that I don't leave in the US so there is nothing similar or even something somehow alike Eric Hendrickson here in Bogota, and I will NEVER EVER give that awesome piece of craftsmanship to those "prepared technicians" that offer their services downtown...
And second because of this.

I did not see this before bidding.

in the first picture it looks like the screw near the red dot below the shutter speed knob has been already removed or attempted to.

and in the second picture you can see through the lens what it looks like these dots from what I believe is the light metering sensor system???



This meaning that the mirror is already stuck???

I hope I am being too paranoid.

however if not, I think that $185 (S&H Included) was not that bad for the body, a very nice case with purple velvet lining and the M50 1.7.
Attached Images
   
02-22-2014, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #253
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,929
Juan,
In the picture where you can see the dot pattern on the curtain - because the shutter is advanced, also shows the mirror is in the locked up position because the MLU lever is in the 1 o'clock position. When you fire the shutter, the dot pattern will go back to plain black. The mirror will continue to stay up until you release the MLU lever by pressing the button on the MLU lever. This is how it normally works.
02-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #254
Forum Member
JuanEstrada's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bogotá, Colombia!
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Juan,
In the picture where you can see the dot pattern on the curtain - because the shutter is advanced, also shows the mirror is in the locked up position because the MLU lever is in the 1 o'clock position. When you fire the shutter, the dot pattern will go back to plain black. The mirror will continue to stay up until you release the MLU lever by pressing the button on the MLU lever. This is how it normally works.


Oh great! I know that button is in the right of the lens on the K2 but I did not know where this one was.... That's sort of a relieve... brings hope back
02-23-2014, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #255
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,929
Hope it's in good working order.
BTW, link to a good copy of the LX manual -> http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_LXL.pdf
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, eric, h2, haha, hendrickson, keepers, kx, lens, lot, mounted, mx, pentax, pentax repair, phil, post, shutter, slr, sound, steve, thanks, volume
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eric at Pentax camera Service Craftsman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 04-15-2010 05:33 PM
Nature Big white BIFs and a plug for Eric Hendrickson imtheguy Post Your Photos! 6 02-12-2010 02:17 PM
Vivitar Series 1 Lens Repair - is there an Eric? monochrome Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 04-02-2009 07:08 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ME CLA'ed by Eric monochrome Sold Items 11 08-08-2008 08:18 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K2 CLA'ed by Eric monochrome Sold Items 6 07-30-2008 10:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top