Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Luppenko Quote
It seems that most of you are living in the US, is there someone who has send his Pentax from Europe to Eric? I'd really like to get my MX fixed but I'm a bit afraid of the shipping cost, maybe taxes and the time it will take...
Bonjour,

Last year, I sent my MX and Spot F to Eric from France. No problems with duties, etc. coming or going.

I sent to Eric via the French Post office with tracking and insurance and Eric sent them back to me via the US Post in a similar manner. Again, no problems what so ever. Shipping costs back to France were about $50 for the large box.

As for the CLA price, contact Eric directly. I called him. My repairs were the standard rate that he quoted me/on his website, plus a few dollars more for one part replaced/repaired in each body. (added about $7/8 per body)

Highly recommended and I have K2 DMD (plus maybe another body) that I am going to send him soon ... Salut, J

12-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #332

Thanks guys!

I'm still not sure if it's worth the effort, not in general but for me. I know Eric is doing a superb job, but it's simply cheaper to buy a working MX than shipping it to the US and getting it repaired. But I also don't want to give my MX up... Tough choice!
12-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Luppenko Quote
Thanks guys!

I'm still not sure if it's worth the effort, not in general but for me. I know Eric is doing a superb job, but it's simply cheaper to buy a working MX than shipping it to the US and getting it repaired. But I also don't want to give my MX up... Tough choice!
An MX in good working conditions for less than £75 is hard to find...
12-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #334

I thought I'd paid a lot when I spent £50 on a minty chrome one which just needed new light seals!

Keep your eyes open and you can find a working MX for a lot less than £75, if you're not afraid to replace the seals and mirror foam. My black one was listed as spares or repair, after a good clean, new seals, and a new focussing screen it's a reliable camera. So long as the shutter is firing at all speeds everything else on them is simple.

12-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #335

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
An MX in good working conditions for less than £75 is hard to find...
I could get a repaired MX + M 50/1,7 for 100€...
12-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #336

He replaced the meter on my Spotmatic SP II along with giving it a CLA. It now works like brand new. Next up is my K1000 for a CLA and re-cover in red calfskin. ☺
01-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #337

Has anyone ever paid for Eric's rush service? I asked him to rush it and it cost me 20 bucks, but I am not sure how long it will take, he didn't really say. Does anyone have any recent experience with that?

01-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #338

Well apparently his rush service is very quick. I shipped the camera last Friday, received his quote and paid for his service on Monday, and I got the camera in the mail yesterday (Thursday)! A six day turn around time is awesome! And the camera looks great. Very satisfied.
01-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #339
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DerekPDX Quote
Well apparently his rush service is very quick. I shipped the camera last Friday, received his quote and paid for his service on Monday, and I got the camera in the mail yesterday (Thursday)! A six day turn around time is awesome!
That's good to know. I have two film cameras I'm thinking of having Eric fix. Well, after I get my car fixed, that is
03-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #340

I acquired a Spotmatic a few years ago along with three Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar lenses. This was when I was building my Tak collection for use with my K10D. Well a couple of months ago I set the camera to Eric because I decided to get into some film photography with it. Once I got it back I took it out a had a blast taking photos with it. (Still need to get them developed). Now I just picked up an ME Super (that still had film in it), took a few photos with it then the mirror locked open on me. Dang! Oh well, more business for Eric!
03-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #341

Hi guys I'm new to the Forum and have a concern with Eric. I sent my Pentax LX with a lense to get cla'd almost a month ago. My problem is that he has been very vague with any updates on when he might have my camera ready. I've emailed him about 3-4 times(on avg once a week) asking for an update and the best that he can do is respond with
"I have parts on order",
"Waiting on parts.", and "I have some parts on the way to me. I'm hoping yours are there."
I'm starting to regret sending it to him. Iv said in the emails that if he can't fix it or doesn't have time to just send it back. His communication has been in my opinion unacceptable. I made the payment almost immediately after he gave me a quote. So I ask is this his way of communication to his customers? I understand he is "The Pentax Guy." Iv read nothing but good things about him and his work so I wonder what's up with my situation? Am I being un reasonable when I ask for a "proper update?"
03-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #342
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlieco82 Quote
Hi guys I'm new to the Forum and have a concern with Eric. I sent my Pentax LX with a lense to get cla'd almost a month ago. My problem is that he has been very vague with any updates on when he might have my camera ready. I've emailed him about 3-4 times(on avg once a week) asking for an update and the best that he can do is respond with
"I have parts on order",
"Waiting on parts.", and "I have some parts on the way to me. I'm hoping yours are there."
I'm starting to regret sending it to him. Iv said in the emails that if he can't fix it or doesn't have time to just send it back. His communication has been in my opinion unacceptable. I made the payment almost immediately after he gave me a quote. So I ask is this his way of communication to his customers? I understand he is "The Pentax Guy." Iv read nothing but good things about him and his work so I wonder what's up with my situation? Am I being un reasonable when I ask for a "proper update?"
It sounds like he is waiting on parts.
03-29-2015, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #343
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It sounds like he is waiting on parts.
Uhhh, yeah. I agree.

The guy does good work and I think he's probably honestly just waiting for parts. In my experience (I've sent a K1000 and a lens to him on separate occasions), turn around has been RAPID. I'd be shocked if he was just sitting on your stuff, and I'm sure he's not hoarding it.

Also consider the guy is 70+, so Chatty Cathy, conversational emails are probably not his forte.

When I asked him to fix my Pentax gear, I came from the position that I was asking him to do a favor for me, and I was happy to compensate him for his time and efforts, and to wait politely. My perspective was not that he owed me any sort of priority or special attention.

I'd just continue to be patient if it were me.
03-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #344

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Uhhh, yeah. I agree.

The guy does good work and I think he's probably honestly just waiting for parts. In my experience (I've sent a K1000 and a lens to him on separate occasions), turn around has been RAPID. I'd be shocked if he was just sitting on your stuff, and I'm sure he's not hoarding it.

Also consider the guy is 70+, so Chatty Cathy, conversational emails are probably not his forte.

When I asked him to fix my Pentax gear, I came from the position that I was asking him to do a favor for me, and I was happy to compensate him for his time and efforts, and to wait politely. My perspective was not that he owed me any sort of priority or special attention.

I'd just continue to be patient if it were me.

Thanks. I feel like I have been. I was just worried. I guess I won't email him again until I get my camera in the mail.
Thanks for your quick response.
03-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlieco82 Quote
Thanks. I feel like I have been. I was just worried. I guess I won't email him again until I get my camera in the mail.
Thanks for your quick response.
I understand if you haven't had work done by Eric before the lack of frequent updates and short replies might cause some discomfort - but have no fear. Eric allocates his time to working on cameras and less so to replying to emails. Eric has CLA'ed more than ten film cameras for me and a number of manual focus Pentax lenses since 1999 and I've never had a bad experience.