Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LX parts can be difficult to come by.

03-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Charlieco82 Quote
Hi guys I'm new to the Forum and have a concern with Eric. I sent my Pentax LX with a lense to get cla'd almost a month ago. My problem is that he has been very vague with any updates on when he might have my camera ready. I've emailed him about 3-4 times(on avg once a week) asking for an update and the best that he can do is respond with
"I have parts on order",
"Waiting on parts.", and "I have some parts on the way to me. I'm hoping yours are there."
I'm starting to regret sending it to him. Iv said in the emails that if he can't fix it or doesn't have time to just send it back. His communication has been in my opinion unacceptable. I made the payment almost immediately after he gave me a quote. So I ask is this his way of communication to his customers? I understand he is "The Pentax Guy." Iv read nothing but good things about him and his work so I wonder what's up with my situation? Am I being un reasonable when I ask for a "proper update?"
I've sent things to Eric, and I'd never email him every week expecting an update. But I know enough to trust him. Getting vintage equipment repaired can take time, and an LX is a bigger challenge than most. You're lucky to have him to send it to. When mine develops a problem, that's where it will go, for as long as it takes. People that are really good at repairs are usually busy, and in my experience, not always the best at taking the extra time to answer emails. They are working. I've experienced the same with good watchmakers. Eric is as good as it gets for Pentax repairs.
David
04-04-2015, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I've sent things to Eric, and I'd never email him every week expecting an update. But I know enough to trust him. Getting vintage equipment repaired can take time, and an LX is a bigger challenge than most. You're lucky to have him to send it to. When mine develops a problem, that's where it will go, for as long as it takes. People that are really good at repairs are usually busy, and in my experience, not always the best at taking the extra time to answer emails. They are working. I've experienced the same with good watchmakers. Eric is as good as it gets for Pentax repairs.
David
My experience too. Eric has done six cameras for me and I've just sent him a 7th. If he has the parts etc. in stock turn-around is rapid. I'll forgive him his terse email style for the quality of his work, coupled with a remarkably reasonable pricing policy. Luckily for me, I always have other film cameras to use so I just relax, and the enjoy the camera when it returns.

Cheers, Kris.
04-05-2015, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In my experience (10+ repairs) if there's a problem Eric will get in touch with you.
No news is good news. Then one day your camera arrives, working like new...

Chris

04-07-2015, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #350
Forum Member

Eric just sent me back my 45 year old Spotmatic yesterday. It went to him with a faulty meter, a jammed winding lever, and 4-1/2 decades of accumulated dust and grime.

It came back to me absolutely pristine—completely gone through from top to bottom. It was effectively a new camera.

I'm a happy old Luddite.
04-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flylooper Quote
Eric just sent me back my 45 year old Spotmatic yesterday. It went to him with a faulty meter, a jammed winding lever, and 4-1/2 decades of accumulated dust and grime.

It came back to me absolutely pristine—completely gone through from top to bottom. It was effectively a new camera.

I'm a happy old Luddite.
Good news, you are good to go for another 45 years!

Phil.
07-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #352

Hey guys! Has anyone here been in contact with Eric recently? I think it's been about 3 weeks since I sent him two of my cameras, and I haven't gotten any emails back from him. I sent him one last week just to make sure he had my contact info, and he hasn't replied.

07-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #353

I just sent in two cameras, got an invoice via email, paid, and received the cameras back....all in the past month. I did send an email prior to sending the cameras to let him know they were coming. It took a week between sending the cameras and getting the invoice, and I sent them USPS priority. Hope this helps.
07-08-2015, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #354
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tdemmz Quote
Hey guys! Has anyone here been in contact with Eric recently? I think it's been about 3 weeks since I sent him two of my cameras, and I haven't gotten any emails back from him. I sent him one last week just to make sure he had my contact info, and he hasn't replied.
He's too busy fixing your cameras ... do not worry.

Eric is "old school" IMHO and instant communications is not his culture. All will be fine.
07-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #355
Veteran Member

I'm going to send in the two black SPII's first, then the black KX's, then lastly the black Spottie F. I can handle light seals and usually do that myself but my black Spotties and KX's are getting a complete overhaul sooner or later. I have like 3 chrome and black SP's that are in real good shape and 2 chrome and black SPII's, but only one of those "Queenie" works. Might do the others someday, but maybe not. They're not a huge priority. I have a couple of K1000's and P3's too but I'm not going to bother on those as I could not care less where those are concerned. Queenie was CLA'd before I got her and as far as I can she still doesn't need it. Mainly I want to get my black Spotties and KX's taken care of while I still can. It's just a question of when I have the $$$$...:P
07-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Don't worry.....leave the man alone to work. It gets tense wondering what is going on , but just bite it and wait ! I too one time emailed and got the usual matter of fact brief email. My lenses are PERFECT ! Send him stuff and enjoy the vacation youre equipment is having. A few months ago his appx lens return time from payment time on mine was 3+ weeks......patience Grasshopper !
God Works In Mysterious Ways !!!!
07-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #357

Thanks guys! Aside from occasionally fearing the worst... I'm thinking he is busy repairing somebody else's camera — not mine, because if I remember correctly, he doesn't repair them until he gets the money for it all (and I have not gotten the invoice).
07-09-2015, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #358

I just received an LX and MX back from Eric. The LX looks and functions like a new camera and the poor beatup MX I sent him came back with a new lease on life. I had to check serial numbers to make sure it was the same camera. Sent the cameras to Eric in early June and had them back on July 6. After our initial correspondence on the invoice and payment, I didn't hear anything until the cameras were in my mail box with a comment on the shipping paper apologizing for the length of time Eric had kept them. To my way of thinking, 30 day turnaround is great. I don't believe that anyone can do a better job on repairing a Pentax camera. This was my first experience with Eric's service and it is second to none. I don't have a problem with the limited correspondence. Like everyone else on the forum has stated, have patience. Your camera can't be in better hands.
07-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you've read other photo forums you will know that as camera repairmen go Eric's turnaround time is very fast.
Parts for these aging cameras are getting harder to find every year, and hopefully Eric has lots of work.

Chris
08-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #360
Forum Member

Hey guys... it's been a while. I live in Colombia, south america and a cousin of mine who lives in NC was here on vacations, so I decided to give her my mirror-stuck LX along with a 35-135mm f3.5 A lens that I wanted to know if it was correctly focusing or if it was something wrong with it on the inside... so I asked my cousin if she could send that to Eric once she was there for me to avoid up to 150U$ in shipping charges... He said that the lens needed no work and that he fixed the LX, so he only charged me for the camera. When I received the package, I tried to use the lens and I expected it at least as it was before, but the lens zoom was stuck... when he reassembled the lens, a velvet lining part that makes the zoom slide to be soft was compromised and got all crushed inside because he did not rebuild the lens carefully. So I emailed him twice telling him about the lens and got no answer. The LX came working "normally", but 6 months later, after I finished using a whole bulk roll of 400asa film I changed the asa setting to 100 to use a different roll and it has a problem, it changes suddenly to a different setting so I have to take it up to 800 and then down to 6 and back to 100 for it to work... otherwise it will be as if I have it in 800-1600... when I use it in 400 it is fine, and that problem was not there because I took 2 rolls of 12 exposures of Agfa Vista 100 and 200 before sending it and it worked...

I know all of you have nothing but praise about his work but this is my first experience with him, and being from here it is not cheap at all to have that worked out... It is a shame that he did not answer my emails about it, at least with a "I send it working", and also the asa setting being bogus, so, Even when he says that he has a 1 year warranty, he does not honor it, that's why I didn't even bother emailing him about the asa thing...

I am so dissapointed...