Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That reminds me that I need to send my cameras [K2 & Spotmatic] off to him to get serviced.

01-28-2016, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #407
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow!!*

* My black MX just came back last week.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2016 at 06:55 PM.
01-28-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #408
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Awesome article! I really enjoyed it! (I looked for the Accura Diamatic 135/2.8 of mine that Eric has for CLA right now, but I didn't spot it. )

Oh! but I guess this interview was done several months ago! Boom!
01-29-2016, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #409
Loyal Site Supporter

Adding this:

I was thinking about Eric last night. My first repair I sent him a black Spotmatic that Mark Hama actually didn't do correctly. I responded to one of those eBay ads so it was maybe 10 or 12 years ago, maybe more. Then I sent my MESuper that had been in the basement when we had a 12" flood, but after several tries he never got it right. It was a cascading series of failures from corrosion. I decided to just retire it and buy something else and I recall having a discussion trying to convince him NOT to refund the fee.

So as a form of payback I sent my old KX for a CLA and it's still going strong, but I started looking at lenses, and cameras attached to lenses, and the cameras were good but old, so I've had 25 or 30 Pentax film cameras and lenses in and out my front door from Tennessee since that first CLA.

Another time I bought a kit bag with a K2, some decent lenses I wanted and a nasty brassy, broken black MX. I sent the K2 and stuck the MX in the box with a note that said he should use it for parts, with compliments. A couple weeks later I was browsing eBay Film Cameras and I saw a nasty MX For Sale, noting it was fully working with a recent CLA. I emailed Eric the link with a note saying, "This camera sure looks familiar ". He replied, "Busted!" .

Perfect! If you know Eric at all you know one and two word emails are normal. That's all he needs to say what he needs to say.

I'm sure there are more stories. I've kept most everything he has repaired except the K2's and a SUPERPROGRAM. I have a love/hate relationship with K2's. I buy them, use them, hate them, sell them and take something else for a walk. A year or two later a shiny black K2 will come up and I'll throw in a bid ... Like last month.

Now that the MX is back that K2 is in a box . . .

Last edited by monochrome; 01-29-2016 at 06:11 PM.
01-29-2016, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #410
Loyal Site Supporter

In the interview they discuss Eric's apprentice, and his need for K1000s for training purposes. I contacted Eric and asked if he still needed those. He said yes, in any condition. I'm donating mine to the cause.
01-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #411

Ye Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I just got my Pentax 6x7 MLU w/TTL prism from Eric. Outstanding work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This 6x7 MLU was a basket case. All jammed up , would not fire etc. Now it's like brand new. Thank you Eric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #412
Site Supporter

As a reminder about how blessed we are to have Eric, I recently got a pre-war Contax II, and was pleased to find retired engineer who now services these full time. When I asked, he said he would be happy to restore it to new condition. He will add me to his over four year wait list and notify me when it is time to send him the camera.
So I said OK. After all, another independent camera tech has had one of my Leicas and a very rare lens to restore, and it's been over 5 years now... and he first estimated about a year.
02-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #413

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
As a reminder about how blessed we are to have Eric, I recently got a pre-war Contax II, and was pleased to find retired engineer who now services these full time. When I asked, he said he would be happy to restore it to new condition. He will add me to his over four year wait list and notify me when it is time to send him the camera.
So I said OK. After all, another independent camera tech has had one of my Leicas and a very rare lens to restore, and it's been over 5 years now... and he first estimated about a year.
I'm glad I had Herr Scherer do my Contax IIa and 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar way back in 2005. Wait time then was only 4 months. And the camera & lens came back PERFECT. Still is. Well worth the cost.

02-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #414

Just sent off my black SP and KX, plus a couple of lenses to Eric. It's my first time calling on his services, and if the reception here is anything to go by, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
02-29-2016, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #415
Site Supporter

I got an MX back from Eric last week. After checking it out I sent him an email last night.

I got a brief reply this morning that he was still in the hospital and would be back at the end of March.

I have no idea what the health issue is but I'll be keeping him in my prayers.
02-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #416
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
I got a brief reply this morning that he was still in the hospital and would be back at the end of March.

WOW!! Thanks for letting us know - I'll be thinking good thoughts for Eric.
03-01-2016, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #417

QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote

I spoke with Eric just recently. He had a knee operation but is recovering slowly in hospital. He expects to be back into the swing of things in a few weeks.
03-25-2016, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #418

I created an account just to rave about my two K1000s I got back this week. I sent them in mid-February, and considering he had surgery and is still recovering, I can't believe he got them back to me so fast! He fixed a sticky mirror, got me a counter cap, and both cameras look absolutely pristine, better than I remember. I was half convinced that these were new cameras being mailed back to me. Both were in pretty good aesthetic condition to begin with but Eric made them look brand new.

I've heard about the quality work Eric does on cameras, but, man, I had no idea he was this good! I'm a believer. 100/10. I cannot believe how awesome my cameras are right now.
08-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #419
Site Supporter

I sent a K2 DMD to Eric for an estimate - unfortunately there was a LOT wrong with it so wasn't economically feasible to repair it. I told Eric that if he could use it for parts to just keep it with my blessing. His response - "thank you, I can use some of the parts."

Keeping in mind that most of the parts for the old Pentax's aren't available any more - maybe we can help keep the old Pentax's on the road by donating some of our old broken Pentax camera's to Eric - keep the parts supply train stocked. Although, I'd suggest you might want to check with Eric first to see if he can use what you want to donate. Contact Eric at pentaxrepairs@aol.com.
08-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #420

Dang, that reminds me -I have a Pentax 6x7 that I've been meaning to send to Eric. I need to get it out ASAP. The last 6x7 he did for me came back just perfect.