Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2017, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have sent quite a few cameras and lenses to Eric for repair.

Not everything came back in perfect condition but he stood behind his work. That is what has always been his biggest strength in my book. No excuses just; "send it back and I'll check it out." IMHO he is a very good repair technician and an honest man.

I am very glad he has a new technician to help him and learn from him. I hope he is as good a teacher as he is a repair tech.

08-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aoresteen Quote
Dang, that reminds me -I have a Pentax 6x7 that I've been meaning to send to Eric. I need to get it out ASAP. The last 6x7 he did for me came back just perfect.
He has a 40 cameras backlog a/of earlier this week. I want to send my Asahiflexes and S series cameras while he can still do them. He asked me to wait a month then send two at a time in sequence.
08-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #423
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
He has a 40 cameras backlog a/of earlier this week. I want to send my Asahiflexes and S series cameras while he can still do them. He asked me to wait a month then send two at a time in sequence.
Sent Eric my jammed S1A in June, quick turnaround and very pleased. He had to replace shutter curtains and do a clean, now it sounds like new. Will have to look for another meter, unfortunately,the CdS cell is dead so he couldn't repair it. Will not hesitate to recommend him or send any other Pentax equipment to him for repair.
08-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Sent Eric my jammed S1A in June, quick turnaround and very pleased. He had to replace shutter curtains and do a clean, now it sounds like new. Will have to look for another meter, unfortunately,the CdS cell is dead so he couldn't repair it. Will not hesitate to recommend him or send any other Pentax equipment to him for repair.
S1a doesn't have a buildt in CdS so hard to fix.

08-12-2017, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm sending my repairs to Eric in October.
He expects to be all caught up by then.

Chris
08-12-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #426
Veteran Member

I just dropped 4 of mine in the mail for Eric today. A KX, KM, K1000 SE, and an original K. As long as I get them back by Christmas I should be ok. If I get the urge to shoot an M42, I still have an SV in as-new condition that Eric did a few months back and an S1a that is still working well. If I feel the need to shoot a K mount I have a mint ME SE that he did last year and a mint LX that's working perfectly. I've also got an MX, ME Super,and ME F that are all working as well. I'll survive indefinately without the four I sent today.
08-13-2017, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #427
Pentaxian

Eric is currently sitting on the first bit of kit I've sent him - a black-paint MX that I had the seller post straight to Tennessee sigh-unseen (cheaper than posting US - Aus and then Aus - US)... The MX is one of my favourite 35mm bodies and I've been looking for a black one for a while, so hopefully Eric's magic will make it a keeper.

If all goes well I'll shortly be sending a Spotmatic SP F and Super-Multi-Coated 50/f1.4 Tak for a major cleanup. It's in a sad state but it was Mum's 21st bday present so has a fair bit of sentimental value.

10-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #428
Forum Member

Well, I sent the Pentax 6x7 along with a K1000 to Eric for service. The good news is that the K1000 came back perfect and I gave to to my brother to use. He & his significant other have two other K1000 and now they have one that was just serviced by Eric. My K1000 was a gift from a neighbor who had not used it in years. The battery had corroded the base plate & battery cap so badly that Eric had to replace it. Now it is back in action. As to the 6x7, it was un-repairable. It was one of the first ones off the line. Not economical to repair. I kept the prism & battery holder and gave the body to Eric for parts. I still have one that Eric restored.
10-18-2017, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Earlier this week I sent him a K2DMD and a black KM, my most recently acquired Pentax bodies.
I've lost count of how many cameras I have had him service over the years, but it must be a dozen or more.

Chris
07-30-2018, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It turned out the K2DMD had a bad shutter unit.
Eric swapped one from a parts donor body I found.
Now it is working well, as is the black KM body.

Today I shipped Eric four Pentax lenses for service.

Chris
07-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #431
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My MX, ME, LX and SV have all benefited passing through Eric’s skilled hands.
In queue are my S1a, KX and K1000.

The only issue I had was the first time I used his services, when he mailed the MX back to me and put “Japan” as the country of origin, I got charged an extra $30 for customs - should have been “Canada” as that was where the camera came from. Once I notified him, the succeeding cameras were not surcharged.
08-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #432
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm going to blame you two for slowing him down... he's had my KX for three weeks

He's done three bodies for me (plus this one coming soon, I hope) and a lens.
All four make me smile when I use them...

-Eric
08-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #433
Pentaxian

I sent him my dads old spotmatic, 8 element 50 and preset 50 makro, all of which were falling apart and are now smooth as silk. And the images just seem more vibrant.
Next in line are the k1000 and 6x7.
08-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #434
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It turned out the K2DMD had a bad shutter unit.
Eric swapped one from a parts donor body I found.
Now it is working well, as is the black KM body.

Today I shipped Eric four Pentax lenses for service.

Chris
Salut Chris,

How did you do for the donor body ... a K2?

I wrote Eric about using a donor K2 that I have for my K2 DMD, which also has a bad shutter unit ... fires always at the same speed.

Eric said that it was possible, but I have yet found a moment to get the bodies in a package to him.

Thanks in advance for any info ... Cheers, J
12-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #435

This probably makes more sense to just contact Eric himself, but I figured if anyone here has already been through the same road here.

I’ve got a Pentax KX with a problematic ASA dial wheel:

1) Very difficult to rotate

2) If it does rotate, it is relatively loose and doesn’t “snap” into place. I recall you need to hold down the pin to continue rotation. However, the pin is stuck and doesn’t do anything.

3) It’s not communicating with the light meter. Battery works and the switch on the advance lever turns the light meter turns on, but it doesn’t compensate based on the film speed the dial is set to.

Anyone have similar issues? Do you think it would be a waste to send to Eric. It seems like an unrepairable issue to me. I just want to avoid picking up another body online again without some experienced advice this time.

The first Pentax KX I bought was in great shape. I shot one roll with it and felt as one with it. But, I made it a birthday gift for my girlfriend who is also an avid analog shooter.