Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #31

Long turnaround time

Hey everybody

Just in case this helps you out, I sent my KX to Eric two months ago and apparently he doesn't know what's wrong with it and barely responds to my emails. Two months, and still I have no idea what's going on with my camera and/or when I can expect to receive it back. If you're looking for a fast turnaround, I wouldn't go this route. I don't like to say that though, because I'm a home repairman for work and really believe in supporting the independent 'little' guy. But business is business and two months without any idea as to what's wrong with my camera (the LCD and rear button panel stopped working after a small fall in the camera bag) is pretty much not cool in my book. Am I being too harsh? Has anybody here sent their cameras to the Pentax factory? If so, what experience have you had?
-Thanks,

_stian

03-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #32
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your experience is directly contrary to the experience of many mambers here. Not saying it didn't happen as you state, but it would be a first to my knowlege. I've personally had at least two dozen cameras and lenses repaired by Eric since 2004 and never had more than one day elapse after the camera was delivered.before I received an email estimate response.

So you sent Eric a digital camera (K-x)? Did you review his website first?

Pentax Camera Service

I believe he only works on legacy manual cameras - the ones listed on the home page.

Did you track the package - IOW, are you certain he received it? I would call him at the number listed under "Contact Us".

QuoteOriginally posted by stian rasmussen Quote
Hey everybody

Just in case this helps you out, I sent my KX to Eric two months ago and apparently he doesn't know what's wrong with it and barely responds to my emails. Two months, and still I have no idea what's going on with my camera and/or when I can expect to receive it back. If you're looking for a fast turnaround, I wouldn't go this route. I don't like to say that though, because I'm a home repairman for work and really believe in supporting the independent 'little' guy. But business is business and two months without any idea as to what's wrong with my camera (the LCD and rear button panel stopped working after a small fall in the camera bag) is pretty much not cool in my book. Am I being too harsh? Has anybody here sent their cameras to the Pentax factory? If so, what experience have you had?
-Thanks,

_stian
03-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #33

Monochrome,

First off, after re-reading my post I believe my tone was too harsh. I was definitely in a bad mood so I'd like to clarify a couple of things. First, Eric has been generally good about being in touch via email. There were just a couple of times when days and days were passing and I wasn't hearing back from him after requesting for info or an ETA regarding my camera. Sometimes people get busy though, and I understand that.

My apologies if my experience is contrary to the many users of this site. Yes, he received the camera, and no I'm not saying that Eric is a bad guy or that he's not a valid choice for Pentax repairs. He may very well be the best there is. Yes, I had fully reviewed Erics website and emailed with him prior to sending him my DSLR White K-X for repairs after it suffered a small fall in my camera bag (2/3 feet). After the fall the LCD and rear button array quit working. I decided to send my camera to him because I prefer to support independent repair people, and he said he was up for the job. The turnaround just hasn't been as fast as I had hoped for, that's all. I understand though that sometimes repairing complex devices isn't a paint-by-numbers game and that there's the likely chance that I was unlucky enough to be the owner of a camera that suffered an unusual injury. These things happen. But I was surprised that after two months there was still no verdict on my camera, and that sometimes his turnaround can be up to six months because of the difficulty of getting the parts shipped to his shop. Is this a Pentax thing? I'm not sure. I just think that that's a really long time, but maybe it's not. Maybe I'm just an annoying customer. No hard feelings.

Eric has since returned my money, and decided to send me my camera back.

-Stian
03-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
Lens Buying Addict

Stan: Thanks for the clarification!

As you might know Eric is semi-retired after many years managing Honeywell's and then Pentax's repair operation, then owning and running his own business, Precision Camera Repair, for 17 more years.

In your case I'm quite sure Eric tried too hard to fix a camera he possibly should have declined in the first place - but then that's Eric's style. 1200 repairs over the last two years, and satisfied customers.

Not to say your experience wasn't outside thje norm - it was. Sorry you were disappointed (to whatever extent you were) by the experience. Hopefully C.R.I.S. can repair your K-x quickly and productively, and thanks for being a member!

monochrome

03-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It should be clear from the pentaxs.com website that Eric specializes in Pentax film SLRs.
If requested he will usually take on other types on a "best effort" basis.

I have sent at least twenty cameras and lenses to Eric Hendrickson without incident.
One or two took longer because replacement parts were difficult to source.

Eric Hendrickson remains the premier repairman in USA for classic Pentax cameras.

Chris
03-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have to give Eric nothing but praise here. I sent him an ME that I'm giving my grandson for his eighth birthday and explained I needed it back fairly fast so I would have time to forward it. Of course life intervenes, my wife had complications from surgery that was supposed to have her in the hospital one day, out the next and I forgot about the camera for almost a week. When I did remember and checked my e-mail on Saturday night I found a followup e-mail from him regarding the camera (the original invoice had come in the day of her surgery). I sent Eric the cost for CLA by PayPal along with an apology for the delay that night. I got a nice note back from Eric wishing my wife well and I got the camera back 3 days later. The way I figure, he must have done the work on Sunday to get it back that fast. So thanks to Eric's work, my grandson is getting a camera that will hopefully last him until he's almost 40 (and maybe something to remember me by since I'll probably be long gone by then).

Thank you Eric! I think you'll be getting either another ME or an MX from me next.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 03-23-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Addendum
04-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #37

Eric just repaired two super programs for me. I'm impressed with how quickly he got back to me with a quote for the repair job, and with the turn-around time. How he does it I don't know but we should all be grateful that he's out there!
04-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #38

I'm one of the rare ones who had problems with cameras Eric worked on.

An ME Super was returned to me with an intermittent failing shutter that he did not catch. He didn't catch it because there is no way to see it on the bench unless it happens by chance and no way to make it repeat. Once he saw my negatives, he understood the problem. I returned the camera to him and he replaced the shutter block. For free.

An MX had a problem with flash sync, a curtain not being clear of the frame before exposure. He was challenged by the problem and eventually we arranged trade. He kept that camera to see if his ideas on fixing it would play out in exchange for another ME Super he had on hand and had overhauled.

I mention these to let people know that Eric isn't perfect. No one working with these type of mechanical devices can be perfect. From the comments here and elsewhere, he certainly comes pretty darn close, though!

With both problems I had, he was determined to make things right. He didn't charge for the new shutter block since he had missed it. I still paid him for it. The MX was a challenge to him, so I hope he was satisfied with the trade; the ME Super he sent me is perfect.

Mistakes will happen. How people resolve mistakes is the real test of character. The combination of his honesty and willingness to make things right, and the quality of his work in the end, is unusual and deserves support. I will not hesitate to send a camera to him again.

If there is any 'lesson' for others in my experience, it would be to DO A TEST RUN on ANY camera that has been worked on. Don't just throw it in the suitcase when it returns form repair (by anyone!) and hop on the boat to Antarctica for a once in lifetime shoot.

04-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone who fixes things for a living will tell you intermittent problems are the most difficult to repair.

Eric's success rate is amazing considering the age and complexity of these things, and lack of new spare parts.

Chris
04-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #40
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
I'm one of the rare ones who had problems with cameras Eric worked on.

. . .

Mistakes will happen. How people resolve mistakes is the real test of character. The combination of his honesty and willingness to make things right, and the quality of his work in the end, is unusual and deserves support. I will not hesitate to send a camera to him again.
For as long as I've been a member (and for several years before that) I've recommended Eric; on this thread I was particularly vocal in his defense.

Aside from his enthusiasm for the brand - and for preserving these vanishing examples of fine mechanical engineeririg and design - Eric is simply trustworthy.
04-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #41

In the last few weeks I sent Eric two ME Supers for CLA, after communicating with him via email. I could not ask for better communication, service, and follow-up in the process. In my humble opinion, he offers a level of concern, dedication, and expertise that is not only beyond reproach but is also becoming harder and harder to find in any venue.
03-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #42
Lens Buying Addict

My repairs by Eric

I just received a return box from Eric containing my nice SV and EXC+++ H1A That brings my total number of cameras repaired by Eric (including the ones I've purchased after someone else had the CLA done) to more than 20 since 2004. That doesn't include the lenses he has repaired to like-new. Alas, due to a recent failed eye surgery I might need to discontinue using a viewfinder altogether - and all these wonderful cameras - I'll know in about 6 weeks.

I've never had an issue. In fact I forced myself to lay my original MESuper to rest after it had corroded internally as the result of an unfortnate basement flood. Despite repeated attempts by Eric, the electronics were just beyond rejuvenation. In that case he opened the camera four times and charged me only for the first CLA.

We have a treasure here who cares for the cameras and the legacy as much as we do.
And to think HE thanked US yesterday in a Forum Post!! EricTN

All restored to like-new operating condition:
SPx2 (Silver/Black - sold)
SPIIx2 (Silver/Black - sold)
K
SV
H1A
KX x4 (Silver/Black) - I gave the second set to my daughter
K2x2 (Silver/Black) Both sold when I got the K2DMD
K2DMD
SP-F (sold)
ME-F (Bought already CLA'ed with invoice - sold in a moment of weakness)
MESuperx4 (Silver/Black) - 1st Silver retired - I gave the second set to my son.
LX (Bought already CLA'ed with the Invoice)

Last edited by monochrome; 03-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.
03-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent Repairs with Good Communication & Service

Let's see. If I am not mistaken;
1 KX
2 LXs
1 KM
1 K2
1 SV

(Hmm, there seems to be a trend here )

And I am happy with the results on all of them.

This is not to say that they all came back to me perfect, I did have one rare occasion where I had to touch base with him and return a camera for a little more attention. I would imagine that means that he is human, just like the rest of us. But he was quick to admit an honest mistake and he worked with me to correct the problem.

I hope he stays available for a while longer as I suspect I may need his services again in the future sometime. I strongly recommend his work for anyone with an older Pentax film camera that could use a little TLC.
03-03-2012, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll probably send my Spottie F to him at some point if I can come up with the $100 to have it overhauled. It's not in very bad shape but I'm sure it needs a good work over by now. I really doubt it's had any work done since it left the factory in the 70's. I'll do what i can with it, give it new light seals and such, but eventually I'll want it done properly by him. One question though, seeing as the guy has been retired for a long while, and it's not like we can perpetually clone him does anyone know if he's training someone? Or someones? Seems a shame for all that knowledge to go to waste and for all our old cameras to go to rot if he ever gets to the point where he can't work on them anymore. I sure hope so. Tell me he's trained a few kids or grand kids to take over at some point? It will be sad one day if he hasn't.
03-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #45

Just thought I'd chime in to say that I sent Eric my ESII to have the meter repaired and a CLA performed, and he did a fantastic job -- and, unlike past repair attempts by lesser techs, this time it's stayed fixed. He is the best, and well worth the trouble of sending a camera.