Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sent off my Pentax-A 20mm and Super A. 20mm had a little bit of fog and the self-timer on the Super A was cutting out. But came in great condition.

Much appreciated!

03-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what I find impressive is that Eric knows these cameras so intimately that he can essentially disassemble them into a messy pile of parts on a work bench and still know exactly where all those little parts go back in the camera. I would look at that mess and never be able to get it back together even with a diagram. even with them all neatly organized and stored in containers, that are labeled instead of just strewn about, id have a hard time. my dad was the same way though. he worked as a technician and aircraft mechanic. he could dissemble and entire helicopter into a a gigantic pile of parts and wires on the ground and still put it back together again. he did it under fire in vietnam, so I imagine it would be easy when nobody is shooting at you.

that picture tells more than we realize about just how good Eric is. we should all be thankful for his knowledge, skill and expertise.
I so admire people that can do that sort of thing.

I imagine your Dad was the sort who could even listen to a running helicopter and say "Hmm, sounds like the widget is rubbing against the wodget." and he could then fix it in less time than it took me to type it.

I imagine Eric doing that with a camera, "Hmm, shutter speed at 1/1000 is out slightly."

It's a pity that we can't get a time lapse or real time video created of Eric doing his stuff.

My Dad also seems to have that skill with pieces and parts and taking them apart and more importantly, putting them back in the right place. I've got the taking apart bit right but seldom can put back together.

I worry that that level of skill is dying out in the world. Don't fix, just replace.
03-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

that picture tells more than we realize about just how good Eric is. we should all be thankful for his knowledge, skill and expertise.
The picture also tells us something about Tom's memory! The body is a Spotmatic (see the wires on the side of the mirror box)...

Steve
03-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The picture also tells us something about Tom's memory! The body is a Spotmatic (see the wires on the side of the mirror box)...

Steve
Steve, I had to laugh at this thought: Imagine Eric getting distracted for a minute and forgetting what he was working on... and returning a H1a with Spotmatic metering installed!

03-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #65
Banned

Steve
no thats not a spotmatic. its absolutely a pre-spotmatic model. the wires you see at the wires for the flash terminals not an internal meter.
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

no thats not a spotmatic. its absolutely a pre-spotmatic model. the wires you see at the wires for the flash terminals not an internal meter.
...face palm...you are so right...

Steve
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #67
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I imagine your Dad was the sort who could even listen to a running helicopter and say "Hmm, sounds like the widget is rubbing against the wodget." and he could then fix it in less time than it took me to type it.
without a doubt. but then he could do that with just about anything. I remember as a kid taking car trips back home to savannah from texas. we could be on the road, windows down, radio up and suddenly he'd shut it off, motion his ear towards the window and listen. he could actually hear and feel when something wasn't right, cruising at highway speeds (or may fathers idea of highway speeds, which was always about 20-25 miles over them) he actually predicted a spun rod bearing once, before it happened.

03-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
Quite right about my memory - even if this wasn't the right illustration...
03-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the classic example, Todd McLellan's image linked from PetaPixel.

03-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #70
Banned

and in motion:

he does amazing work by the way.

Canada- telephone 416-731-3108 info@toddmclellan.com
03-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was looking fior that!!
03-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #72
Veteran Member

... taking this in another direction...

I recently had Eric fix three cameras. But one, the SP1000, was already stolen by my daughter. The next, a MX that I'd used a bit, and took a roll of Tri-X at the party at our house following the memorial service (our son died 2/24, aged 26) with it and a M50/1.7... and since it was my nephew's 21st birthday, I gave it to him.

So that leaves the KX - and a previously fixed chrome ES II - that have been Hendricksonized. I already 'forgot' I had another M50/1.7 so I bought a M50/1.4 for the KX

But here's the disease: I already 'miss' the nicely whirring MX and CBA is setting in.

While the old mechanical cameras - or part electronic, if they are mostly metal - feel good as is, often, they get a very different feel in the hand once they've been properly CLA'd. They feel more smooth and touched-by-humans. I've played with many cameras at camera shows as well as owning a stable, and there's just something relaxing about handling a well adjusted sample.

So, that's a long way to say this: we all need to consider the aesthetic as well as mechanical pleasure of having Eric work on our cameras. I'd even say that after a few bodies, the best investment is to start sending them to Eric, rather than buying yet another 'rear cap' for whatever lens is attached
03-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster;1867088So, that's a long way to say this: [B:
we all need to consider the aesthetic as well as mechanical pleasure of having Eric work on our cameras[/B]. I'd even say that after a few bodies, the best investment is to start sending them to Eric, rather than buying yet another 'rear cap' for whatever lens is attached
+1(00) I've felt this way for years. With all my buy/try/sell experiences over the years satisfying camera lust (and as a side benefit helping someone else enjoy a camera) nothing is quite like using my recently-returned from Tennessee SV.
03-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We should make some kind of Social Group for users of cameras Eric has CLa'ed
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #75
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We should make some kind of Social Group for users of cameras Eric has CLa'ed
it would be interesting to get an idea of the number of people here using cameras that have been repaired by Eric. I am currently in possession of two. a black spotmatic (when I get it back soon) and a black SV.