Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in selling mode again, so I have four (SV, KX, K2DMD, LX). I just sold a black MESuper. I have the SV and K2DMD on the table - one has to go and I can't decide which. Maybe with the LX now it should be SV, KX, LX.

I once counted 24 that he has done since 2005. That's about three a year. I had used a guy in Atlanta for a black SP and SPII who Karen Nakamura recommended, but he got overwhelmed and the service level had declined. Eric looked at those two cameras and the rest is history.

I have enjoyed buying, trying and selling cameras for about 10 years now - I think it is time to settle on a small collection and use it.

03-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #77
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have enjoyed buying, trying and selling cameras for about 10 years now - I think it is time to settle on a small collection and use it.
this is pretty much what I have done. which has included a very large sell off of gear in the past year. what I am down to now is basically my 'AP', which is my 'display' camera if you will. (the only thing I don't need but just seem to refuse to sell) my black SV, Black Spotmatic, a very small collection of Takumars: 35, 50, 55, 85, 105. and one Zeiss. just because I can. one 6x7 kit which includes one body and 2 lenses. 55 and 90. thats pretty much it.

I have a digital setup, which includes to bodies, lenses and flash but thats for work.

I've been thinking of streamlining it even more, since 90+ percent of my personal work is done at the 50-55mm range, I really don't need any of the Takumars as I have the Zeiss. but how can I sell them? ugh. I'm too sentimental is what it is. and id like to chose between the spotmatic or the SV, and I really just want the SV, but the spotmatic comes in handy at times.

if I was really honest with myself, the only thing I need to continue to take photographs like I normally do and engage with people in the most comfortable way is just my SV and my Zeiss. clean, simple, effective, travel friendly, independent of batteries. will be pretty much perfect for my planned trip across India. one medium format with 90mm lens is the perfect companion. this forum always has a way though of reminding me how much I 'need' all these beautiful classic cameras and lenses. personally I blame Asahi Opt. for making such wonderful things back then. thats what I tell myself at least.
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I've been thinking of streamlining it even more, since 90+ percent of my personal work is done at the 50-55mm range, I really don't need any of the Takumars as I have the Zeiss. but how can I sell them?
Thought I saw a 35 f2.3 of yours on eBay recently. Almost bid on it, but with retirement income (or lack thereof)...
The Takumar construction is just so nice compared to today's lenses, and even though the prices have risen, compared to used Leica lenses they still seem llike a bargain. (Leica is my other vice) I bought a used Leica 50 for $900 over a year ago - and now it goes for about $1700.
I use 35 more than 50 on my Leica, but 50 or 85-90 mostly on the SLRs. Like you say - not sure why I have all the others.
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #79
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Thought I saw a 35 f2.3 of yours on eBay recently. Almost bid on it, but with retirement income (or lack thereof)...
The Takumar construction is just so nice compared to today's lenses, and even though the prices have risen, compared to used Leica lenses they still seem llike a bargain. (Leica is my other vice) I bought a used Leica 50 for $900 over a year ago - and now it goes for about $1700.
I use 35 more than 50 on my Leica, but 50 or 85-90 mostly on the SLRs. Like you say - not sure why I have all the others.
with original case and box? yep, probably mine. I've sold over 2500 bucks worth of equipment just over the past two months. Bessa R3a (have a second one on ebay right now), Leica M3, Leitz Summicron 50, Auto-Takumar 35 2.3, Auto-Takumar 105 2.8, two Auto-Takumar 55 f2's, Super-Takumar 50 1.4, Two Spotmatics, MX and winder, Macro-Takumar 50 f4 preset, takumar 6x7 105mm. just to name a small few. I even sold my copy of the pentax bible for 400 bucks! I get the feeling I won't feel ok until I have in fact stripped myself of everything except what I really need. my photography soars when I'm using one camera and one lens and not thinking about any other equipment, and I have this incredible desire to simply have just that. I am only taking my spotmatic and zeiss for my month long trip in the philippines, and I have no doubt ill get some incredible photos. but I do want a fish-eye-takumar 17mm if I can get one cheap enough. :ugh:

03-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well the 17mm fisheye Takumar I acquired was my first such lens and it has proven itself to be quite a fun lens and it is very sharp so it is well worth having.

Been awhile since I've been back to the P.I. so good luck, have fun and have the best mangos while you're there!
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am only taking my spotmatic and zeiss for my month long trip in the philippines, and I have no doubt ill get some incredible photos.
Have a great trip, and thanks for the "simplicity" suggestion. I have a 6-week job on the central California coast soon, and thought I'd take an MX with 28, 50, and 85 - but maybe just a Spotmatic and 50 would be freeing.
- and back to the thread topic: Eric just received and invoiced for my AP and KX that I sent him, so I'll have to add those to the choice for this trip also.
03-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #82
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Well the 17mm fisheye Takumar I acquired was my first such lens and it has proven itself to be quite a fun lens and it is very sharp so it is well worth having.

Been awhile since I've been back to the P.I. so good luck, have fun and have the best mangos while you're there!
I have been many times. 4 just last year. this is my first this year though. its a second home quite literally, as I have a place in Baguio. I have many friends and people I consider family there. also an ex fiancée. ha! I am very comfortable there. I love mangos but my favourite way to enjoy mangos is to have a green mango shake. literally heaven in a glass. but only the northern luzon variety. that stuff you get in manila can hardly qualify. though I'm sure folks from Mindano would argue otherwise. ill take a good halo halo though, but only if it has pineapple, as thats not a usual ingredient. I don't spend a lot of time in the ore tropical areas of the country though, so I don't see as much of the same philippines as others tend to do. I am usually in Ilokano speaking areas.

QuoteQuote:
Have a great trip, and thanks for the "simplicity" suggestion. I have a 6-week job on the central California coast soon, and thought I'd take an MX with 28, 50, and 85 - but maybe just a Spotmatic and 50 would be freeing.
well if things aren't as freeing as you'd imagined don't come back blaming me ok? honestly though. my last trip I had one of my K-7's, FA 31, FA 43, FA 77, DA 15 and DA 50-135 (yes I actually own all of these, for work) and I spent more time just changing lenses and worrying about the right lens than I did photographing. I promised myself not this time. I looked back at how I work when I'm here at home and realized I would do just the same there. I burned through several thousand rolls with my previous SV and 90+ percent were with one lens. thus the spotmatic (to avoid carrying a meter) and the zeiss. all the rest of the free room in my bag will be for film. I actually find it odd that I struggle with lots of equipment for my personal photography, but do perfectly well when photographing events for the newspaper with all that junk hanging from my neck. a different state of mind I guess.

but we are indeed getting off topic here, and I know thats my fault so ill leave it at that.

Last edited by séamuis; 03-14-2012 at 06:27 PM.
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
... So, that's a long way to say this: we all need to consider the aesthetic as well as mechanical pleasure of having Eric work on our cameras. I'd even say that after a few bodies, the best investment is to start sending them to Eric, rather than buying yet another 'rear cap' for whatever lens is attached
Shortly after joining PF, and while owning only my original K1000, I decided I wanted to collect the "big four" in the K series film bodies (possibly an attempt to mask LBA with CBA). Based upon the many "send it to Eric" recommendations I had read on many other threads, this is the strategy I adopted in order to build that collection: acquire an inexpesive body in acceptable physical and mechanical condition, and send it to Eric for CLA and possible repair. In the end, I should have the four bodies I want, and I expect they will all be in excellent working order. Hopefully, the net result will be a total acquisition cost considerably less than I might expect to pay for comparable bodies from KEH, Adorama, etc. And if an Eric CLA'd body is as reliable as my K1000 (purchased new in 1984), I doubt I'll need Eric's services again once he services the last in this set.

it would be interesting to get an idea of the number of people here using cameras that have been repaired by Eric. I am currently in possession of two. a black spotmatic (when I get it back soon) and a black SV.
Not wanting to be an "idea thief" and start a thread for this, I thought I'd chime in here as having a K1000 and a K2, each repaired by Eric. I use both of them. Eric currently has my KX, and I'm looking forward to using it once it returns. Next month I'll send him the KM, and I'll also use that once it's returned. Then I suppose I'll be healed of the CBA and the LBA will begin anew.
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here's the classic example, Todd McLellan's image linked from PetaPixel.
Both of these shots are totally frame and wall worthy, grin.
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My KX was repaired and CLA'd by Eric and I am incredibly happy with the results. I may have something else to send him in the near future, but the camera may be too far gone even for Eric!

Steve
03-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Got my lovely ES11 back today.
Now cannot wait to get a film in it, & enjoy using this "classic".
Cheers, Pickles.
03-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #87
Veteran Member

He fixed my Super Program, dad's Super Program, Dad's ME Super, My ME Super, my fiancee's ME Super, my LX, my MX, an Asahi SV, an ESII, and a 50/1.4, 135/3.5, and Sigma 24/2.8. There may be others.

Also, I sold a black MX on the forum, and the buyer had me ship it to Eric directly.

He always does great work and everything he's repaired for me still works perfectly.
03-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric also does a great job with Pentax lenses. He has fixed my K20/4, K85/1.8, K300/4 and Auto Extension tubes which all had aperture issues.

Phil.
03-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #89
Veteran Member

the safest ebay purchase I ever made was for a SMC Tak 105 complete with the shade, from Eric.
05-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #90

Let's see...so far I have had Eric do 2 Spotmatic Fs, a Spotmatic, 2 ME Supers, a Super Program, a Program Plus, a K1000 and a MX. Yep. Hey, has anyone had him do the conversion to metal film transport gears for a ZX-5n?