Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
C.R.I.S

Steve
Thanks! I didn't know if contacting them through Ricoh/Pentax would be better.

11-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Eric is awesome! He's fixed my FA 77 limited focus screw, it got stuck I think and my CLA'd my Pentax Super Program. Always quick and estimates are free. He's the man I would go to if I ever needed something repaired. :-)
11-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just sent Eric payment for service of a Pentax KX I bought last March. I think it's remarkable
that his modest charge for standard repair has remained the same for more than ten years.

Chris
11-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I just sent Eric payment for service of a Pentax KX I bought last March. I think it's remarkable
that his modest charge for standard repair has remained the same for more than ten years.

Chris
Heh. Nice camera. I have two now, one with the split-image screen.

I just sent an MX that came as a rear cap on an M50/1.7 I got at a yard sale. No one in the Marketplace would even make me an offer on the camera, so I guess I'll have another film body for my collection. Sure does go well with that lens.

Poor, poor pitiful me.
M50/1.7 - $49.
MX - $0.00 + $69 + shipping, all-in.

11-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #185

Photos: Gallery
Two weeks past now after sending Eric a Pentax FA 100mm macro lens with what seemed optical separation. He charged me a very decent of $100 about a week ago to clean and glue the lenses back together what I promptly paid using Paypal. Having that said am waiting on a response from him about the status of the repair. Maybe am wrong but Eric seems to be someone with not a lot of words. So far no luck to get him on the phone either. Maybe he is just a very busy guy...May I ask if anyone has similar experiences or can give me an idea how long it takes before you receive some feedback on the repair?
Greatly appreciated.
Bert
11-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bepr Quote
Two weeks past now after sending Eric a Pentax FA 100mm macro lens with what seemed optical separation. He charged me a very decent of $100 about a week ago to clean and glue the lenses back together what I promptly paid using Paypal. Having that said am waiting on a response from him about the status of the repair. Maybe am wrong but Eric seems to be someone with not a lot of words. So far no luck to get him on the phone either. Maybe he is just a very busy guy...May I ask if anyone has similar experiences or can give me an idea how long it takes before you receive some feedback on the repair?
Greatly appreciated.
Bert
Give him a week, he will respond.

Phil.
11-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eric is often brief with communication and silent when nothing needs to be said, but is the most reliable and honorable repair technician around. (And for comparision I've also used the highest rated for Leica and Hasselblad)

11-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #188

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the heads up. You know, I did receive a quote for the repair from Eric pretty much the same day I send him a picture of the issue seen when looking through the lens. I had no clue what it was until he told me in his reply. On the other hand I send the same picture to a nearby official repair shop (www.camerafix.com) and also to C.R.I.S. Camera Services (criscam.com). Camerafix did reply fast however they stated not having a set price in their database for this lens an estimate could only be given by sending the lens in first. It took CRIS Camera (this is the repair center RICOH points to at their website Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging) 10 days before replying: "I'm sorry; we are not able to provide estimates on this model without first evaluating the reparability. We have recently changed our process on lens estimating. Due to the complexity of repairs on this type of product we no longer provide estimates on lenses without first performing hands on inspection." When you read this, it gives you some ideas how it works these days and I must say, Eric shines out so far as being the only of the 3 that provided me with an estimate and could tell me what was wrong with the lens using the picture. Tells me he is exceptional... I attached the picture for reference.

Last edited by bepr; 02-03-2014 at 05:18 PM.
11-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We need to adjust our expectations of Eric to suit his process. He is a one-man shop with a devoted customer base and all the work he can manage and then some. I imagine he optimizes his time for actual repairing of things rather than detailed responses to emails. I'm sure this is disconcerting to those who've never sent him a repair but you have nothing to worry about.
11-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #190
Pentaxian

There does appear to be a few nervous nellies.

Please don't stress, Eric is very, very good and very reliable.
12-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My most recent item sent to Eric for service was a Pentax KX body.
I sent it on 11/19. I paid Eric's invoice 11/21. I received it 11/30.
Total time under two weeks. Pretty remarkable, I'd say...

Chris
12-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent in an H2 for CLA and repair on Oct 30th. When I sent it, I advised him that I wasn't in a big rush to get it back. When I checked on it a few days ago, he told me it would be about a week or so before he could get to it, and offered to put a rush on it. He's answered my emails promptly, and since I'm not in a hurry I don't mind waiting a bit longer for a quality job.

Last edited by paulh; 12-01-2013 at 01:11 PM.
12-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #193
Site Supporter

Being a mechanically inclined fellow, he's likely a man of few words. They rarely waste words when actions will do nicely instead.
12-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #194

Repair of Tak 85 f/1.8

Hi,

How do you approach Eric for his repair services?

Do you simply mail him the equipment with a note describing the problem and your email/ phone no?

Or first contact him by email, wait for his response and then send him the equipment for repair.

My point is - wouldn't it be rude to just mail the equipment for repair without informing Eric that you are sending something?

Just want to know how others went about the process.

Thanks
12-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #195

Tak 85 mm f1.8 -reply from Eric H.

I contacted Eric about my problem with my Tak 85 this afternoon at 4.00 by email.
He replied back at 8.00 by email.

I'm shipping my lens to him tomorrow.

Thanks to the users on this forum.