Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #271
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Sent three cameras and two lenses out on Monday, go the quote before 7am this morning. Glad the LX I bought on the site described as pristine was an accurate description. Of the three bodies, the LX is the least costly and it's cheaper than a CLA on a Spotmatic or K camera.
Poor Eric! I sent him my Spotmatic II (shutter capping) and KX (intermittent dead meter) yesterday. I also sent an e-mail warning him they were coming. His response was that he is getting a little "backed up" and that it may take a month or so.

Steve

03-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #272

Sent him a Spotmatic SP and a Takumar 55mm f/1.8 for a CLA on Monday. Got an email from him this morning confirming receipt and sent him payment right away. He responded confirming receipt of my payment within 5 minutes of completing the transaction. He's definitely on top of things. Can't wait to see the magic he'll perform on my camera and lens.
03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #273

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
Indeed, you are not. I had one MX body that did exactly that. The other MX body, which I'd sent to Eric in February for a CLA, did NOT make that ping. Both work just great, though, as they are after all Pentax MX bodies (the greatest camera ever made).
I know this is a little late to the party. My MX has always had that ping noise. Even new in 1980. Didn't seem to affect anything or induce additional camera vibration so I just learned to live with it. After I put the autowinder on, the noise just disappeared!!!!!

I kinda actually like that noise now... its screams "I'm mechanical!!!"

James
03-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #274

I'm really particular about shutter noise. The MX is by far the worst. So much so that I haven't even bothered to put a roll through it, even after getting it worked over by Eric. Wish I would have known about it beforehand. I may end up sending it back to him but he seems to be quite busy these days. I don't mind a nice mechanical shutter, either. Hell, I shoot with a Kiev 60. But that ping is just downright nasty.

03-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #275
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
I'm really particular about shutter noise. The MX is by far the worst. So much so that I haven't even bothered to put a roll through it, even after getting it worked over by Eric. Wish I would have known about it beforehand. I may end up sending it back to him but he seems to be quite busy these days. I don't mind a nice mechanical shutter, either. Hell, I shoot with a Kiev 60. But that ping is just downright nasty.
I had to try this for myself and I can barely hear the ping on both of my MX's and that's if I when I put my ear in front of the lens mount with no lens on! You must have the hearing range of a dog as . . .
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #276
Veteran Member

I received my SP 500 from him today. There is a clear difference between how the shutter worked before and how it works now. It feels very, very, smooth. Silky even! The meter has been reworked too. I'm getting better exposure readings now. Whatever the lead time is in getting a camera CLA'ed by him is worth it! I'm sending him another Spotmatic!
03-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #277

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I had to try this for myself and I can barely hear the ping on both of my MX's and that's if I when I put my ear in front of the lens mount with no lens on! You must have the hearing range of a dog as . . .
Im pretty sure mine is exceptionally loud. My hearing is actually quite terrible for my age

03-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #278
Veteran Member

I've never heard an MX shutter "ping". Could you record it for us so we can hear it?

I have a recently CLA'd "Pingless" MX that i'm on the fence about selling. If you'd like to consider buying it I'll listen to your offers
03-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 2 KX'es. My OO copy has an audible clockwork sound at long exposures. I've had it so long (pushing 40 years) that I actually prefer it to my perfect, recently-acquired split-image copy.

Eric didn't change the sound so I suppose it is normal.
03-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a couple of MXs, and don't find the "ping" objectionable. However, around 1967 I sold my Pentax H1a to get a Canon FT-QL system and a Canon FP (meterless) as a second body. Very nice and solid cameras, but the shutter ping was loud and musical (compared to the Pentax) and bothered me a lot. I traded the set in on a Leicaflex SL as I left college, and enjoyed the relative silence.
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #281
Veteran Member

Both of my MXs ping. Two of my three KXs ping. The KX ping is a higher note. More of a "Tang" compared to the MX's "Tong".
One of the KXs actually rings the ping out for a long moment. Its like "Ta Daaaaa! I took a picture!"
03-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #282

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I've never heard an MX shutter "ping". Could you record it for us so we can hear it?

I have a recently CLA'd "Pingless" MX that i'm on the fence about selling. If you'd like to consider buying it I'll listen to your offers
Thanks for the offer. The 35mm 2.8 Zuiko I just bought off you is going to be my only purchase for a while now. Actually I'm trying to sell off my two OM2n bodies, an extra 28 3.5 and 100 2.8 to fund an OM4. I need the dioptric adjustment because I hate shooting with glasses on.

I posted videos after I got the MX back on page 11 of this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-penta...ickson-11.html

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 06:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Both of my MXs ping. Two of my three KXs ping. The KX ping is a higher note. More of a "Tang" compared to the MX's "Tong".
One of the KXs actually rings the ping out for a long moment. Its like "Ta Daaaaa! I took a picture!"
Haha I liked this post. I really wish I could live with it but when my eye is up to the viewfinder ,and it pings, it's actually really uncomfortable to my ears. My Minolta XD5 has a quieter ping with a lower pitch and length. My ME Super is pretty quiet and my OMs are just plain beautiful (sounding..and looking).

Last edited by Skullsroad; 03-08-2014 at 07:44 PM.
03-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #283
Pentaxian

Thanks for the offer. The 35mm 2.8 Zuiko I just bought off you is going to be my only purchase for a while now. Actually I'm trying to sell off my two OM2n bodies, an extra 28 3.5 and 100 2.8 to fund an OM4. I need the dioptric adjustment because I hate shooting with glasses on.

I posted videos after I got the MX back on page 11 of this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-penta...ickson-11.html

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 06:34 PM ----------

Haha I liked this post. I really wish I could live with it but when my eye is up to the viewfinder ,and it pings, it's actually really uncomfortable to my ears. My Minolta XD5 has a quieter ping with a lower pitch and length. My ME Super is pretty quiet and my OMs are just plain beautiful (sounding..and looking).
So you haven't had that pinging sound quieted by Eric? I also posted my MX shutter sound in that page and it doesn't have the ping sound like yours has. However, yours is quite subtle compared to the particularly loud ping in my Minolta SRT101 -> http://www.fototime.com/F153FC5A5E27BC6/orig.mp4

Of course this is muffled a bit when there is a lens mounted.
03-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #284
Veteran Member

My good KX just goes Ka-chuk, so it doesn't seem to be a necessary noise.
Dampening the vibration should be an easy task.
Cracking open a camera and knowing where the twang is coming from is another story.
03-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #285

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
So you haven't had that pinging sound quieted by Eric? I also posted my MX shutter sound in that page and it doesn't have the ping sound like yours has. However, yours is quite subtle compared to the particularly loud ping in my Minolta SRT101 -> http://www.fototime.com/F153FC5A5E27BC6/orig.mp4

Of course this is muffled a bit when there is a lens mounted.
My SRT201 doesn't ping at all. I really don't think my video correctly portrays the volume level of my MX ping. I'll try and source another way to record it. Re-starting the conversation is convincing me to send it back to Eric now. I wasn't planning on using it since I don't really have any lenses for it anymore. Plus I keep spending money on OMs and fixed lens rangefinders.

---------- Post added 03-09-14 at 07:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Let's hear your "ping" with a lens mounted.

Chris
It doesn't matter if a lens is mounted. When shooting, and my face is right next to the shutter, the volume is always the same.