Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #1

Odd Lens/Camera problem

Dear Group, i hope you can help me. Untill it packed up i had a Chinon CE4 and with that i had a 50mm lens, a short and long zoom and a 135mm lens, all worked perfectly.

I have now bought a Pentax K1000. All the lenses work apart from the 135mm.

If i set the 135mm lens aperture to 2.8 and then fit the lens i can stop down the aperture and see the light meter needle move as it should.
However, if i then try to open the aperture i can feel it becoming stiff, then "click" It sounds as though the 2 connecting tabs (for want of a better phrase) slip past each other.
If i take the lens off and remount it wide open it does exactly the same each time.

I'm perplexed, as it work fine on my old Chinon, and as the Pentax K1000 is in as new condition.
I can't see any difference in any of the lenses. The only difference i can notice is that the aperture ring on the 135mm is stiffer than the other lenses.

Could that be the problem? And if so, is it fixable?

Thanks Chaps

"Edit" Upon closer inspection it's clear how the lens is supposed to work. There is a little "tab" in the lens mount, about 1/32 thick and about 3/16th long (in old money) When the lens is mounted and you turn the aperture ring it moves the spring loaded "tab" in the camera lans mount. So, i guess when you turn the aperture ring the other way the spring in the camera ruturns the tab back to it's start position, does that make any sence to you lol.

Anyways, open to close is ok, but turning the ring the other way it gets still afer about 2 stops then something clicks, i guess the 2 tabs somehow become disengaged.

Last edited by Dreamofgilgamesh; 06-21-2010 at 08:58 AM.
06-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible for the follower to slip past its mate and not good to do so. One or the other is misaligned.

Steve
06-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thats what i wondered, but it works perfectly on my Chinon body, plus i can see no difference between the "tab" on the 135mm lens and the other lenses, it's very strange.

As i said, this lens has a slightly stiffer aperture ring, and is the oldest of my collection.
However, unless i misunderstand it, when the lens is connected and reading f2.8 i can close it (against the spring pressure) to f22. But when i go the other way (with the spring pressure helping it) it seems to slip.

Unless of course the wear is so minimal that i can't notice i,t but the camera can.
06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is possible for the follower to slip past its mate and not good to do so. One or the other is misaligned. Steve
This is the very problem I have had with a recently acquired Elicar 2.5/90 Macro in Olympus OM mount: I just couldn't get it to register with the on-board metering, and it was constantly showing a suggested +5ev over-exposure .

Then, the local guy found the aperture lever on the lens wasn't interacting with the corresponding lever on the camera body, so lens and camera weren't communicating. A little adjusting with needle-nosed pliers (bending the lever on the lens outwards a little, so it would engage) did the trick: no more problem: it now Works like a charm! .

06-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
A little adjusting with needle-nosed pliers (bending the lever on the lens outwards a little, so it would engage) did the trick: no more problem: it now Works like a charm! .
That sounds encouraging! I'll give it a go and let you know how i get on.

Thanks
06-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Oh it worked! Thanks very much for the tip, if you're ever my way thats a pint of lovely warm flat beer i owe you.
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dreamofgilgamesh Quote
Oh it worked! Thanks very much for the tip, if you're ever my way thats a pint of lovely warm flat beer i owe you.
No worries!

Glad it helped.
06-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a long way to travel for a pint of beer