Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Spotmatic; shutter question

Hi, I have a Spotmatic I bought recently for the 50mm f1.4 Super Tak attached to it, and am just now getting around to seeing if this camera still has some life left in it.

Anway, I replaced the light seals and am waiting for a battery in the mail, but while waiting I noticed that the shutter has what looks to be a whitish chalky surface oxidation like substance on what looks to be a (rubberized)? cloth shutter plane.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to, or if it might present a problem? And if so, what might be used to wipe or clean it off? Silicone?

I just thought I'd ask before I mess with it and do something stupid. ???

06-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #2

I second what Chris said.
06-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
JQP
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lol...Oops, Too late! I couldn't wait.

And very gently swabbed the curtain with a soft brush lightly wetted with some spray silicone. No immediate damage occurred, although I can't say what silicone might do to the curtain eventually. It did remove the white oxidation, though.

I've also got a nicely functioning Mamiya/Secor 1000DTL to compare and it has what looks to be a silk cloth shutter curtain, but the Spotmatic's curtain appears to be something else, rubberized or something.

The Spotmatic is smaller and quieter than the Mamiya though, and feels nicer in the hand. I think it might be a sweet camera to play with if the light meter still works.
06-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be concerned that the white "oxidation" is some sort of mildew.

Steve

06-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can always test the lightmeter with a normal button battery.
Set the ISO to 100, speed to B
then looking through the viewfinder click the lightmeter button if it goes all the way down battery is OK then you can start testing if the needle goes all the way up the battery is upside-down