Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Got some Fuji Reala 100.......

Just received 3 rolls of this and am planning to give it a shot this weekend if the weather stays good and not cloudy! This is the lowest ASA film I have used yet and wondering if there is anything I should know.

Might be using a polarisor if the sun is quite strong, def with UV filter on as well. Now whether to use it with my Spotmatic F or my Program A? I have a 55mm and a 135mm Super takumar prime lenses for the Spotmatic though......? Both cameras have about 8 shots left on the films currently inside. The spotty is colour atm and the Program A is B+W.

06-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love this film. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I've always shot it "as rated" and had no problems with it.

Have fun,
Kevin

P. S. Don't fall in love with it, though, as there was a rumor of it being discontinued or reformulated.

P. P. S. That being said, there still doesn't seem to be any problems obtaining it.

Last edited by KJon; 06-25-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Add P. P. S.
06-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Reala was marketed as a portrait film when it was released almost 2 decades ago, and have bee reformulated a few times. Its rendition is quite different from regular Fuji or Kodak negatives. Not much to say other than to rate it slightly lower, say 80, like other negatives for better exposure and finer grain.
06-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
... Not much to say other than to rate it slightly lower, say 80, like other negatives for better exposure and finer grain.
Normally I'd agree, but for some reason Reala always looks overexposed to me when I run it through the MZ-S, ecspecially when I rate it lower than 100. The negatives are always more dense than any other color negative film I've shot. I sometimes wonder if it's not really closer to 160. I'd never under expose it intentionally without some serious testing, but I don't understand why it's so different than all my other negatives. I like it, particularly the greens, and it is also pretty manageable indoors with tungsten light.

06-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #5

I love Reala and it is a damn shame that it is being discontinued. I have a small stock of it
in the freezer and am tempted to see what I can find and load up on it.

I bought about 100 rolls of Kodak 400UC before they discontinued that one. Glad I did as I love
that film.
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
Normally I'd agree, but for some reason Reala always looks overexposed to me when I run it through the MZ-S, ecspecially when I rate it lower than 100. The negatives are always more dense than any other color negative film I've shot. I sometimes wonder if it's not really closer to 160. I'd never under expose it intentionally without some serious testing, but I don't understand why it's so different than all my other negatives. I like it, particularly the greens, and it is also pretty manageable indoors with tungsten light.
That is closer to my experience with it. I'm not such a huge fan of its green world though, but since I mostly scan, I can deal with that easily.