Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Program Plus: Want to use it, is it broken?

Ok! I want to try film. I have my brother's Pentax Program Plus.

The film advancer doesn't rotate?, does it need film for it to turn? It need a new battery, and I recall the shutter screen having some hick-up's before.

So, is the winder being stuck normal. How much would it cost to service this thing and who is the USA is ggod and reasonable for such a service.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by pcarfan; 06-26-2010 at 07:04 AM.
06-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well! I did a search and it looks like Eric at pentaxs.com is the man!, right?
06-26-2010, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think the camera is broken- you just need to take a picture to unlock the advance lever, and you can't since there is no battery.
06-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Downloaded the manual and advanced the film until the film numbering came to zero and now the camerfa is behaving as it should. Yippeee!, time to expose these 24 frames and see what this is all about

Last edited by pcarfan; 06-26-2010 at 07:13 AM.
06-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't even taken my first shot, just getting ready to go out in this bright noon light and see whether the camera works, but already I can see the massive change in mentality that is needed to sue film. I ONLY HAVE 24 FRAMES
06-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Ok! I want to try film. I have my brother's Pentax Program Plus.

The film advancer doesn't rotate?, does it need film for it to turn? It need a new battery, and I recall the shutter screen having some hick-up's before.

So, is the winder being stuck normal. How much would it cost to service this thing and who is the USA is ggod and reasonable for such a service.

Thank you so much.
1. The the film advance lever will only rotate until the shutter is cocked. To rotate it again, you first need to fire the camera.
2. The Program series of cameras can fire without a battery at the x-sync setting. All other modes will only work with a battery inserted.
3. The winder being stuck is a common problem (even more common with the Motor Drive A). Nikon cameras of that time have the same problem. Easy enough solution: remove the winder and in the ON position simply short all the contacts with a piece of metal (scissors or whatever you have at hand). After that "reset", the winders usually work fine again.

Ben
06-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben, thanks!

06-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

On the other hand, my "new" Super Program appears in fact to be broken. The little green sliver of a lock button on the exposure program knob does not depress, leaving me locked in one exposure mode. Luckily, I was able to get it to my most used "M" mode before it stopped moving entirely. It looks like this one is going back to KEH or to Eric. It's too bad, because it was a pristine camera otherwise.
06-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
1. The the film advance lever will only rotate until the shutter is cocked. To rotate it again, you first need to fire the camera.
2. The Program series of cameras can fire without a battery at the x-sync setting. All other modes will only work with a battery inserted.
3. The winder being stuck is a common problem (even more common with the Motor Drive A). Nikon cameras of that time have the same problem. Easy enough solution: remove the winder and in the ON position simply short all the contacts with a piece of metal (scissors or whatever you have at hand). After that "reset", the winders usually work fine again.

Ben
MG/ME/ME Supers can use the X setting with no battery, and I'm not sure about Program Plusses...but I know Super Program/Program A will not fire at all without a battery in any mode.
06-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
MG/ME/ME Supers can use the X setting with no battery, and I'm not sure about Program Plusses...but I know Super Program/Program A will not fire at all without a battery in any mode.
Ditto on the last part. Without batts, the SuperP is a paperweight.
06-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Same deal for both- this is confirmed in the camera database: Pentax Program Plus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Downloaded the manual and advanced the film until the film numbering came to zero and now the camerfa is behaving as it should. Yippeee!, time to expose these 24 frames and see what this is all about

Oh, yeah. That tends to throw me, too.

One thing I always took for granted about the old Canons: Especially when it comes to winders, they either work or do not, there aren't those fussy interrupts or incompatibilities in things. Even if there's a loose connection, a light whap with the heel of the hand will make the winder go, and if it goes, it works properly. Somehow, Nikon and Pentax had to make things fussier and occasionaly-needing of bridging contacts or things being in the right position. (like in Nikon's case folding in the rewind lever instead of keeping your thumb hooked under there as usual, for security and not getting caught flatfooted if batteries fail) I'm not sure why that is.

I've got an MEII winder that just doesn't inspire that kind of confidence and thus doesn't tend to be on those bodies.
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
You are right, I was wrong. Haven't used my Super Program for years and forgot about the 100% battery dependence… Sorry for adding confusion.

Ben
Closed Thread