Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Try your local grocery store, no kidding. The only places I've seen Kodak recently were at grocery stores. All the drug stores here have the Fuji brand, but all the grocery stores here seem to have Kodak. It's usually with the batteries and such. But yeah, I'd check the dates. I'm sure film moves very slowly at the grocery stores these days.
Walgreens has their own branded Fuji, but also has Kodak. It also does processing, but they recently doubled their price to $4.50 for a 36exp roll of negatives only. At least they are still doing the processing.

The availability of inexpensive local processing is one of the reasons why I shoot color and B&W negatives almost exclusively these days when I shoot film. Years ago, my 35mm color would have been about 75% slides.

To your original question, I don't think you will be put off by consumer film. I ran out of Fuji pro stuff on my recent trip and shot a roll of Gold 200. It was quite nice. It is a little more saturated, but with scanning and pp, it worked just fine.

06-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the topic of the meter: Do you plan on taking a DSLR as well? You can use it as a metering reference and get a feeling for the older one. You'd need similar focal lenghts and I'd set the DSLR to centerweight metering. Just a suggestion. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks,
06-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
On the topic of the meter: Do you plan on taking a DSLR as well? You can use it as a metering reference and get a feeling for the older one. You'd need similar focal lenghts and I'd set the DSLR to centerweight metering. Just a suggestion. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks,
I do that all the time for flash metering using off-camera flash. I take a few digital shots, look at the histogram, then burn some film.
06-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Ektar will probably be hard to find in a pinch, but it's a great all around film and would be nice if you can find it.

I've seen great photos taken with Gold, but I don't ever shoot it. Fuji Superia and Sensia too.

The C-41 B&W films are pretty nice too. You should be able to find the Kodak version at CVS etc. Matter of fact, I was at the CVS down the street the other day and they had Tri-X! Real honest to goodness B&W film. Can you believe it? They can't process it, but they sell it.

06-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I appreciate all the responses, very helpful. I am certainly taking my DSLR, which will be my primary tool. I am 'experimenting' with the SLR as I haven't used it in a while and only for snapshots before.
06-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I appreciate all the responses, very helpful. I am certainly taking my DSLR, which will be my primary tool. I am 'experimenting' with the SLR as I haven't used it in a while and only for snapshots before.
If you are "experimenting" with the SLR, then I would suggest that the consumer film, such as the ubiquitous Kodak Gold or Fuji Superia, are just what you need.

Ektar is a superb but challenging film, and I would not suggest learning on it away from home where your photos are important. I just shot my first roll of it, and I would want to go through a few more before taking it on vacation. However, once I do get to know it, it probably would be my choice for a landscape-heavy trip.
06-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
GeneV that makes a lot of sense.

I bought some Ultramax 400 at the local CVS.

Thanks.
06-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
The C-41 B&W films are pretty nice too. You should be able to find the Kodak version at CVS etc. Matter of fact, I was at the CVS down the street the other day and they had Tri-X! Real honest to goodness B&W film. Can you believe it? They can't process it, but they sell it.
Checked the counter again at my local CVS and they had both as well, grabbed a Tri-X, but now I don't know whether I want to load the B&W or color, dang!

Last edited by pcarfan; 06-29-2010 at 02:33 PM.
06-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Kodak Gold 100 is an excellent film, if you can find it. Costs less than Ektar, too.

Chris
06-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Kevin,

How reliable is the sunny 16 rule? can I use a shutter speed of 1/400 with iso400 film and aperture of 16, even if my camera reads it as +1-2EV? If the sunny 16 is relaible or you have used the 400 film well under bright light and kept the shutter below 1/1000, I could go with your suggestion.

Thank you!
I've used the Sunny 16 rule often but with BW film. It is very reliable but as Steve noted you need to gauge how sunny is sunny. Look for sharp shadows as a clue and note too extra bright scenes such as the beach require a Sunny 22 rule, if you will. And the Sunny 16 is a function of the year and your latitude. Fall/Winter/Early Spring may need the Sunny 11 rule especially at higher latitudes.

You can use 1/500 for ISO400 @ f16. Negative film has latitude. If it's nice and sunny, why not shoot 100 film for your landscape? And since you have a whopping 36 frames per roll (that's a lot from what I'm use to), you can bracket when in doubt
06-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I've used the Sunny 16 rule often but with BW film. It is very reliable but as Steve noted you need to gauge how sunny is sunny. Look for sharp shadows as a clue and note too extra bright scenes such as the beach require a Sunny 22 rule, if you will. And the Sunny 16 is a function of the year and your latitude. Fall/Winter/Early Spring may need the Sunny 11 rule especially at higher latitudes.

You can use 1/500 for ISO400 @ f16. Negative film has latitude. If it's nice and sunny, why not shoot 100 film for your landscape? And since you have a whopping 36 frames per roll (that's a lot from what I'm use to), you can bracket when in doubt
Thanks!

Did you say 32 exposures ? well! I am taking a brand spanking new 500GB hardrive good for a couple of hundrad thousand pictures........... AF-C, Hi-speed firing, 5-exposure bracketing with one click - cocked and ready to fire

I am looking for the grainy sort of film look with the 35mm, so 400 would be better. I am moslty relying on my K-7, the super program is for the vintage look only. Mostly I would do Tri-X 400 only with the SLR.

In the mean time, I've treated myself to a fine vintage gift and should receive it in a couple of weeks, and pretty soon I'll have to learn to limit myself to 12 exposures a roll (like I think you are used to) . It's such a vintage it predates Pentax.

Last edited by pcarfan; 06-30-2010 at 05:52 PM.
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Thanks!

AF-C, Hi-speed firing, 5-exposure bracketing with one click - cocked and ready to fire
That hi-speed firing is a slow fps, many megapixel, short burst, no sound video and you frame grab your still.

Last edited by tuco; 06-30-2010 at 06:18 PM.
07-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That hi-speed firing is a slow fps, many megapixel, short burst, no sound video and you frame grab your still.
Ah! that's why I hear 5.2 fps to be too slow....... when compared to video, it is....now, I get it
07-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This 'discussion' about available exposures has given me an idea. I am going to use the 24 exposures of the Tri-X 400 I have and try to capture the essence of yellowstone and Grand tetons within the 24 frames. That I think would be a nice project. I am going to narrow it down to Yellowstone landscapes only, as fauna and flora is just too much. If they turn out as I am hoping to, I'll post the results later.
07-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #30
Site Supporter

This 'discussion' about available exposures has given me an idea. I am going to use the 24 exposures of the Tri-X 400 I have and try to capture the essence of yellowstone and Grand tetons within the 24 frames. That I think would be a nice project. I am going to narrow it down to Yellowstone landscapes only, as fauna and flora is just too much. If they turn out as I am hoping to, I'll post the results later.
Ansel will be watching from above.