Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pictures of you MX's foam

I am pretty sure the foam on my mirror and back are gone. There is only a short strip of foam on the back film door and the mirror foam has a chunk missing. I really just need to see how your good foam looks on the film door. Also can someone help me figure out how the DoF preview works on a MX?

06-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I think it might be normal for the back film door to only have a short strip of foam, as most of the light sealing is on the body. Look for indented strips on the body, where the film door presses into the back.
If you gently press the mirror foam down with your finger, do you get any black residue? If so then definately replace it.

The DoF preview works from the self timer lever. Simply press the lever in the opposite direction to the way you would to set the timer, and the lens will stop down!
BTW, I think I only figured that one out by reading it online here somewhere...
06-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I swore that the DoF preview was pressing the center of the timer. I tried your method and it works perfectly. I think my film door foam is okay then. I will shoot some color through it to make sure no light leaks. There is a chunk of the mirror foam notably missing so I will need to order that soon.
06-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

When you say a chunk of the mirror foam is missing, would this happen to be in the middle and compared to your Super Program?
I'm not 100% but from memory the MX has a bit 'missing' to enable the user to change the focussing screen. It also has strips of foam to the side of the mirror box (Super P. doesn't have this either)

06-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry I don't have time to set up and light a macro shot to show this, but Goddo is right. There is a gap of about 6-7mm in the middle of the mirror foam on an MX with proper seals. I just checked mine, which was re-foamed by Eric Henderson just a few months ago.
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see that gap that you mention now. To the side of the gap about a centimeter or two the foam is definitely started to shred apart though. The side mirror foam that you mention looks okay. Thanks for all the advice!
06-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FlannelSpoon Quote
I see that gap that you mention now. To the side of the gap about a centimeter or two the foam is definitely started to shred apart though. The side mirror foam that you mention looks okay. Thanks for all the advice!
If that is happening, then have the seals redone before using it too much more. It is only a matter of time before the pieces of foam or a sticking mirror do some real damage. I pretty much hosed the mirror return on my wife's Contax RTS that way.
06-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If that is happening, then have the seals redone before using it too much more. It is only a matter of time before the pieces of foam or a sticking mirror do some real damage. I pretty much hosed the mirror return on my wife's Contax RTS that way.
Yeah +1.
The decomposing pieces of foam can also get on your focusing screen quite easily, which is really quite irritating. Unlike potential mirror issues though, it wont effect operation of the camera