Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Increasing Price of Pentax M42 Equipment?

I've just started to use my Spotmatic again....after around 10 yrs, I suppose.
I've noticed a large increase in demand & prices sinse that time.
In that regard, I noticed the dearest SP11 I've ever seen today on Ebay..$584 Aus...a massive price, & the camera wasn't what I'd call immaculate, with some brassing etc.
Of course I'm not saying the seller will get that sort of money.....but the very fact that he's asking those sorts of dollars is a bit of an indication, I reckon.
Cheers, Pickles.

06-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
There are litterally tons of Spotmatics out there and most are nicely priced. There are some fine Takumar lenses going for a good price as well. The most common lenses go cheap, but their are some sought after ones going for high prices. I've thought of adding to my collection once I have completed my 6x7 glass. That being said, I do seem to recall high prices on gear from Australia, but they were beautiful copies.
06-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's because people are so into adapting them for their DSLRs. Lenses that I could have picked up for half the money only a few years back are commanding $50-100 and up. Makes me wish I had gone analog a lot sooner. The couple of Takumars that I have are awesome but it's going to take me a while to flesh out my Takumar kit at the prices I'm seeing. Non-Takumars are a bit cheaper, mostly, but still some better M42 lenses seemingly can be pricey.
06-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It's because people are so into adapting them for their DSLRs. Lenses that I could have picked up for half the money only a few years back are commanding $50-100 and up. Makes me wish I had gone analog a lot sooner. The couple of Takumars that I have are awesome but it's going to take me a while to flesh out my Takumar kit at the prices I'm seeing. Non-Takumars are a bit cheaper, mostly, but still some better M42 lenses seemingly can be pricey.
This is so true. Someone told the Canon users that the Taks could be easily adapted to their cameras. As for the body prices...I have seen a steady increase in film camera prices in general over the last year or so. There has been a resurgence of interest in film photography and the price of used cameras has responded in kind. All I can figure is that people who learned with digital are exploring photography's roots.

Steve

06-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A year ago when I first starting looking for an SPII or a K1000 SE there were tons of people selling them with lenses for under $100 on CL, Ebay et all. Now it's routine to see those same cameras, usually sans the extra lenses usually being priced at $150-200.

Me, I just ignore that. I'm not about to pay that for an old SPII or a K1000 when for only a little more I could go to a store like KEH and pick up an older DSLR to play with. I do love my old Pentaxes, don't get me wrong but I think $100 should definitely be a cap for anything that old unless it's professional equipment.

I wouldn't even pay that unless it was in very, very good condition, and most of the cameras I see out there being advertised as such are not. There are rare exceptions, true collector's cameras and cameras in near pristine shape that have been serviced recently but the vast majority of what's out there has been used and abused and people don't care. They just want what they think they can get for it. Of course they're usually wrong as the sheer number of cameras that are just sitting there on Ebay or on CL for months can testify to.

It's like anything else in retail. There's a suggested/wanted price range and then there's the actual amount it can and does usually go for. They not the one and the same the vast majority of the time. Particularly in this economy. People are in cheap mode and actually I think anyone who is selling anything at a really good price used these days is pretty lucky.

Let's face it cameras are a luxury item and collectible non-digital ones are even more so by virtue of the fact that you can walk into any Walmart and get a good digital camera of some sort for well under $250, or a DSLR for well under $600.

My Fuji is not even a DSLR but I paid close to $1000 for that camera plus another $350 easy for cards, adapters, filters, rechargeable batteries, and a couple of add on lenses. Fact, 7 years later I probably couldn't even get $150 for that camera and it's lenses if I wanted to. It's absurd how much value my digital kit has now because at the time this camera was the next best thing to a good DSLR!

Old gear, unless it's pro old gear or very special or very rare only has so much value these days. We live in an age of the disposable, easily upgradeable camera. Old non-pro cameras have to be really something special for them to command anything like what the digital ones are going for.

It's sad, but it's also true.
07-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought an Asahi Pentax S1a for $19.99 including shipping...It came with a Focal 28mm lens, but I have 4 Taks, so I am good to go. It is in VERY good shape, except it has a small gouge on top from the slip on flash shoe. I believe I was the only bidder. It also came with the original case in surprisingly good condition. Already ran a roll through it, and everything seems fine!!

Me likey !!

07-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I just bought an Asahi Pentax S1a for $19.99 including shipping...It came with a Focal 28mm lens, but I have 4 Taks, so I am good to go. It is in VERY good shape, except it has a small gouge on top from the slip on flash shoe. I believe I was the only bidder. It also came with the original case in surprisingly good condition. Already ran a roll through it, and everything seems fine!!

Me likey !!

S19.99..unreal....looks like a very clean unit.
I'm sure there are some real bargains to be had, It probably depends upon who sees them, & who wants them, at the time, I suppose.
However, when you look at the price that things like F4 Nikons can be bought for, & I saw a Pentax Z1P the other day for $250!!!...(some Spotmatics are fetching more!), I reckon the genuine Pentax screw stuff (particularly mint items) are getting dearer, whilst more recent stuff is becoming rapidly cheaper.
Maybe I'm noticing it more because I've just regained my screwmount interest after several years, & I'm noticing there's a LARGE difference!
Cheers, Pickles.

Last edited by pickles; 07-01-2010 at 10:21 PM.