Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The ultimate asahi pentaxscrewmount guide 1952/77

Good News.......I just got one!
Sinse joining this site a few months ago, I've heard about this "Bible", so I decided to search for one.
Nothing on Ebay, nothing on Amazon, so I continued searching, & lo & behold I found two on Amazon Germany, one new & one used. So, I ordered the new one, payed by Paypal, & susequently got confirmation that the book was sent.
A couple of days later, my wife said, "there's an email for you about your book....& it said, "sorry, your purchase has been badly damaged at the post office, & returned to us... as it is unusable, we have destroyed it"
I Sent them a couple of emails, all they did was apologize profusely, & said they would advise me if another one came up. I thought all this was a bit suss, but there was nothing I could do!
So I went back to Amazon, & the S/H one is still available, so I ordered it.....And.....IT ARRIVED TODAY.
I'm very happy, although the book is supposedly S/H, it is in beautiful condition, & actually doesn't look as if it's been used.
I've had a glance over it, there seems to be amazing detail on everything, so I'm looking forward to having a good read.

Cheers, Pickles.

06-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Good News.......I just got one!
Sinse joining this site a few months ago, I've heard about this "Bible", so I decided to search for one.
Nothing on Ebay, nothing on Amazon, so I continued searching, & lo & behold I found two on Amazon Germany, one new & one used. So, I ordered the new one, payed by Paypal, & susequently got confirmation that the book was sent.
A couple of days later, my wife said, "there's an email for you about your book....& it said, "sorry, your purchase has been badly damaged at the post office, & returned to us... as it is unusable, we have destroyed it"
I Sent them a couple of emails, all they did was apologize profusely, & said they would advise me if another one came up. I thought all this was a bit suss, but there was nothing I could do!
So I went back to Amazon, & the S/H one is still available, so I ordered it.....And.....IT ARRIVED TODAY.
I'm very happy, although the book is supposedly S/H, it is in beautiful condition, & actually doesn't look as if it's been used.
I've had a glance over it, there seems to be amazing detail on everything, so I'm looking forward to having a good read.

Cheers, Pickles.
oh pickles please grab your DSLR and have some pictures
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
oh pickles please grab your DSLR and have some pictures
I'd love to, but I've only got my old Spotmatic!
Cheers, Pickles.
07-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i know this is not completely right, but this book is in need of a good scanning. A good scan of the book might help reduce the crazy prices you find for it, and increase availabilty for everyone.

07-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I paid 130 Euro.....dunno how that measures up to current pricing.
But, I'll tell you something, this book is pretty good, but this forum's pretty good too, so whilst it's good to have the book as a reference....it's not clear on everything....nor could it be.
I had a question on Right Angle finders this morning that the book was not specific on....but a forum member (Gofour 3) soon set me right!..so thank you.
Cheers, Pickles.

Last edited by pickles; 07-02-2010 at 11:56 PM.
07-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #6

130 euro for a used one? that's really what i meant about the crazy prices of that book. But never knew how much one of those costed. Well, books for my university courses go for as much...
07-05-2010, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977

Hello all,

I still have a few copies of the book left. Orders will dealt with in chronological order. You can have it signed by me for free.
As an additional bonus, I will send a file ( plain text) containing an overview of the numbers produced for each individual lens. These numbers were not present in the book, since no information was available at the time of printing.
In the years after publishing I have created a database from which these numbers were calculated. OK, they are estimates, not factual numbers, but they are quite realistic, I think.

Regards,

Gerjan van Oosten

07-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That is incredibly nice of you. Have you ever considered doing an e-book version to sell on Amazon? If ever a book cried out for a digital version this one is definitely it. I've seen it. I was able to order it via my library and it's interstate system once, but it is really hard to find. In the end I only got to keep it for a few days because there were a lot of people waiting on it. I'm sure it would sell fairly well in digital format.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerjan Quote
Hello all,

I still have a few copies of the book left. Orders will dealt with in chronological order. You can have it signed by me for free.
As an additional bonus, I will send a file ( plain text) containing an overview of the numbers produced for each individual lens. These numbers were not present in the book, since no information was available at the time of printing.
In the years after publishing I have created a database from which these numbers were calculated. OK, they are estimates, not factual numbers, but they are quite realistic, I think.

Regards,

Gerjan van Oosten
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Hello all,

Regards,

Gerjan van Oosten
We have been changing email messages. I ran in to you over at MFLenses! I'm waiting for your PayPal account. I was going to tell these guys about you but you beat me to it.
07-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would be interested in a copy if possible ....
07-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
That is incredibly nice of you. Have you ever considered doing an e-book version to sell on Amazon? If ever a book cried out for a digital version this one is definitely it. I've seen it. I was able to order it via my library and it's interstate system once, but it is really hard to find. In the end I only got to keep it for a few days because there were a lot of people waiting on it. I'm sure it would sell fairly well in digital format.
I support that. An digital version would get a lot of attention from fellox pentaxians.
07-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hello all,

Regards,

Gerjan van Oosten
I just wanted to say that I received my copy from Mr. Van Oosten the other day, and of course it really is an excellent resource. Thanks to him for making a few more of these books available (and not gouging on price considering how crazy some of us have been to get them)
07-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I just wanted to say that I received my copy from Mr. Van Oosten the other day, and of course it really is an excellent resource. Thanks to him for making a few more of these books available (and not gouging on price considering how crazy some of us have been to get them)
I second that. I ordered a copy from him, & it arrived, personally signed to me, and he also sent a copy of his lens production number list.
A great book, & a very nice man.
Cheers, Pickles.
07-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I have the production list and am still waiting on the Book to get across the pond and by all the drug dogs.
07-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
I would also like a copy if one is still avaliable