Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

What a steal!

Just bought the following....

Pentax MEF (good condition, needs batteries to see if it works)
Pentax 50/2
Mamiya 28/2.8
Vivitar 70-210/4.5 (doesn't mount on my K-x for some reason)
3x teleconverter with electrical contacts
Minolta 132x flash
A few various filters
Bag for all of it

For a grand total of....

$40!!!

First thoughts on everything:

MEF: The viewfinder is HUGE!!! DSLR's got it all wrong!!! It feels so solid! I think I may be in love. Need batteries and film to use it though.
50/2: Nice and small. Haven't had any real chance to test but should be good.
28/2.8: Love this FOV. A bit of internal dust. Also on the petite side.
70-210: Doesn't mount. Something is preventing it from twisting on. It is really, really slim! Also it doesn't actually extend zooming, the barrel just "moves" over the inner tube so to speak.
3x teleconverter: Well, it's a teleconverter.... good build quality, electrical contacts ( ) , good macro focusing.
132x: No batteries to test it with ATM (or method to trigger it - may fry my K-x?)

07-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

congrats!

I wish I could find some deals in Romania but unfortunately there are quite a few oldies like this here.
07-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
28mm is a great FOV on a film camera & digital!

Lucky bugger. I shall trawl the pawn shops soon enough.
07-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME family is great!
Now a few things to ponder
- Get the manual @pentax-manuals.com
- Buy a $6 kit from Jon Goodman and replae the light seals; I´m 90% sure those are kaput
- The vivitar doe not mount? check if the tab protector is square or slanted; if it is square it will not work unless you cut it.
- 28/2.8s were great workhorses; and sekors are wonderful lenses!

07-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Search this and other forums for the problems with mounting some Vivitar lenses on Pentax dslrs. There is a shield the protects the aperture lever. On Pentax lenses this shield is very small. On the affected Vivitar lenses, the shield is larger and, I believe, protects the lever through its entire range of motion, which the Pentax lenses do not. This shield interferes with something in KAF2 mount used on dslrs. The shield can be removed or modified fairly easily.

I have an ME Super and I agree about the viewfinder. It is ENORMOUS. I would love to have a vf like that on my K10D.

Now that you have the ME-F, you need to look around for the special 35-70mm autofocus lens that was unique to the ME-F. With this lens, which will not AF on any other camera, your ME-F becomes a true AF camera. With other lenses, I believe that it will still provide focus confirmation.
07-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
28mm is a great FOV on a film camera & digital!

Lucky bugger. I shall trawl the pawn shops soon enough.
I know, I find 50mm is way too far on the "tele" end of things. 28 seems just like what my eyes see.

And I found it on Kijiji! Surprisingly the ad had been up for almost a month with no replies

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The ME family is great!
Now a few things to ponder
- Get the manual @pentax-manuals.com
- Buy a $6 kit from Jon Goodman and replae the light seals; I´m 90% sure those are kaput
- The vivitar doe not mount? check if the tab protector is square or slanted; if it is square it will not work unless you cut it.
- 28/2.8s were great workhorses; and sekors are wonderful lenses!
It even came with the manual! Also has the book with all the pentax accessories. I think the guy was the original owner, he may have used it as a student.

No doubt the seals are dunzo. Also need batteries... hell, I'd be happy using it even if the electronics don't work. Just user my digital as a light meter

I think the problem is this rounded black piece "protecting" the aperture lever. It is ~25mm, while on my other lenses it is ~5-10mm.....

Sekors?

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Search this and other forums for the problems with mounting some Vivitar lenses on Pentax dslrs. There is a shield the protects the aperture lever. On Pentax lenses this shield is very small. On the affected Vivitar lenses, the shield is larger and, I believe, protects the lever through its entire range of motion, which the Pentax lenses do not. This shield interferes with something in KAF2 mount used on dslrs. The shield can be removed or modified fairly easily.

I have an ME Super and I agree about the viewfinder. It is ENORMOUS. I would love to have a vf like that on my K10D.

Now that you have the ME-F, you need to look around for the special 35-70mm autofocus lens that was unique to the ME-F. With this lens, which will not AF on any other camera, your ME-F becomes a true AF camera. With other lenses, I believe that it will still provide focus confirmation.
I see the problem. A few minutes with a dremel and I should be good!

I know, with the split image circle and "sparkle" circle around it manual focusing is a DREAM!!! Then I go back to the K-x.... which doesn't have a bad viewfinder by DSLR standards, they just all are very meh....

That lens looks like a beast! Quite the tumour going on at the bottom (battery compartment). I don't think I really want the lens that much, I'm no collector and I have my doubts one of the very first autofocus systems ever would be much good
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sushi warrior Quote

That lens looks like a beast! Quite the tumour going on at the bottom (battery compartment). I don't think I really want the lens that much, I'm no collector and I have my doubts one of the very first autofocus systems ever would be much good
Oh...you have the AF lens! You are double lucky!

Steve

07-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh...you have the AF lens! You are double lucky!

Steve
No, I've just seen it. I have no real use for it, but if I ever saw it come up locally for a good price I would definitely take a second look
07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #9

Wow, I'm registering on pentaxforums because I've just got my first Pentax camera and it just happend to be ME-F with the SMC AF 35-70/2.8 lens, and I see another happy owner!
Check out my kit:

07-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
And how well does the autofocus work? :P
07-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum! The ME-F looks great. Post some pictures up when you get some taken.

Steve
07-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The AF doesn't work on my ME-F. I don't know if its the lens or the body. However, optically, this is a very good zoom. Its as good or better than any M or A series medium zoom Pentax issued.
07-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #13

AF is a chore! But it does work! Can you imagine! It's been how many... 30 years, this thing works for 30 years! This gives me shivers
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Sekors = mamiya lenses the original name was mamiya sekor
If the electronics do not work then the camera only works in 1/125 and B; the rest is dead since this a fully electronic camera (almost)

The good news is that batteries are plenty available 4XLR44 and before you put new ones scrub the contacts with a pencil eraser to make sure there is no corrosion in there.