Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where Can I Get a Retro Strap?

Anyone know where you can find one of those 70's style rainbow straps? You know the comfortable thick canvas kind that looks like a big luggage strap? I don't particularly like basic black when it comes to my retro cameras and my hippie chick tapestry strap is falling apart pretty much. Eventually I want to replace it with a 70's style rainbow strap but I can't seem to find one. I'm surprised actually. With all the gay-pride/retro 70's themed rainbow stuff out there on the internet I definitely thought I'd be able to find one easily but so far I haven't found anything really worth grabbing, at least not local to the USA. The only one I could find was coming from Singapore I think it was and didn't look very sturdy besides.

I'm about to buy one of these and put my own hooks on it, but I'd much rather skip the work and just buy one if I can find one. It's 50" so there's enough belt there to work with, I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Cotton-Measures-Removable-Smaller/dp/B0036BUT2...518247&sr=8-15

Or maybe I can trim down a guitar strap...

http://www.mindamusicstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EB4044

The webbing itself is expensive and usually not as wide as that on a camera strap. I'm thinking it might actually be cheaper to buy a belt or guitar strap and cut it down.

I can't believe I can't find a decent one though...

Thanks!

Last edited by magkelly; 07-07-2010 at 09:19 AM.
07-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go on eBay and you'll find that most cheap Pentax film SLRs come with them I've thrown away several tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Go on eBay and you'll find that most cheap Pentax film SLRs come with them I've thrown away several :tongue:

My hippie strap came on and is still attached to a Ricoh XR7 from eBay. If I need another one, there is always the junk box at the local used camera place.

Steve
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I'm not sure if they have rainbow exactly, but if you don't mind spending a bit of money, PhatStraps probably has something you would like.

07-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

All that metal hardware (swivels, clips, rings etc.) on those old straps can be murder on the the finish of your camera and lenses.
Remember too that every one is a potential failure point.

They can be surpisingly noisy too, jingling like a bell tied to a cat's collar.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-07-2010 at 02:34 PM.
07-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

here are two strap sources I know of:
made by meegz
Jodie's Camera Straps

Rainbows, I don't know about, but take a look.
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm thinking I may just make one out of the belt on Amazon, or maybe a luggage strap. There are plenty of those for cheap and the hardware is easy enough to find. I'd rather have the same idea as the retro ones, but plastic rings and such. I was also thinking maybe of just getting one in black and customizing it with embroidered patches maybe. I do like black, I'm just tired of all black. I need some primary colors mixed in there somehow.

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are cool, but they're a bit expensive. I think I am going to check the local sewing store and see what they have in terms of canvas material for making belts and tote bags. I can probably just sew myself up one for a lot less. There's some directions actually elsewhere. It doesn't look to hard to sew your own. I could also crochet one, with rainbow cotton yarn too, then just add the hooks and rings. Might be fun having my own self-made customized straps and if they come out halfway decent who knows I might just make them for all of my cameras.

07-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #8

I purchased a Recycled Seatbelt Strap made by Souldier Straps at Photojojo and love it. Yeah, it's got clunky metal hardware but it's built to last a very long time and have a little character. The Souldier website has several funky, retro styles to choose from but they aren't cheap; handmade in Chicago, not China! If you're looking for something different, they have it and you can customize it the way you want it.

07-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Forum Member

Oh, man! Not fair! I had that strap bookmarked too, and was going to include the link with the other two, but thought it was way too plain for somebody looking for a rainbow strap! It's also pretty short, looks like. You'll be wearing your camera high, choice of one. At any rate, enjoy it. Just don't let anyone pull at it harder than about 5,000 pounds, or it will break on you.
07-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you are lucky enough to live near a recurring camera show, plenty of straps at prices from $1 to $3, of all kinds. I've bought a few very nice red and black ones, some with the Pentax logo. Another show's coming up this Sunday, I can keep an eye out for a rainbow or similar one for you.
07-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, that's a good idea. I'm going to have to check into that. I don't think I've ever seen an ad here for a camera show but there's got to be one at least around the holidays. I may have it covered actually. I spotted one online on an old camera for sale and I emailed the person to ask her if she might sell it to me for a buck or two. The camera itself is in bad shape, but the strap looks okay. Looks like she might and that Queenie will be flashing a real 70's rainbow strap to match her stunning retro looks! I should know today sometime whether I've got it or not, I would think.
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you want me to look for you on Sunday drop me a PM
07-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A lot of the old ones are cheaply-made, so if you can find rainbow strapping, I suggest you just add your own hardware to it and keep it simple.

I see a lot of old ones at a local pawnshop, but they're inevitably pretty unrecoverable, or I'd pick em up by the handful and offer them here.

Tapestry straps generally weren't strong canvas, anyway, many more cheaply made than nice ones, but there are other things. Guitar straps can be altered, though.
07-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually that's what I think I am going to do. I looked it up and it looks like the local sewing store carries several different kinds including the rainbow kind. I'm going to take a trip up there in the next week or so and see what I can come up with. I like the idea of a unique strap and it's an easy sew. I may just get the black so I can pad it at the neck and cover it with whatever I want. I seem to recall JoAnn's had some really cool retro printed cottons the last time I was there. Could be I can find something retro 70's or maybe even related to photography in some way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
A lot of the old ones are cheaply-made, so if you can find rainbow strapping, I suggest you just add your own hardware to it and keep it simple.

I see a lot of old ones at a local pawnshop, but they're inevitably pretty unrecoverable, or I'd pick em up by the handful and offer them here.

Tapestry straps generally weren't strong canvas, anyway, many more cheaply made than nice ones, but there are other things. Guitar straps can be altered, though.
07-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I found a nice authentic hippie strap once that had hippie attached.