Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
This is a test shot from my K1000 backup body....just wandering around the backyard...

Griz

07-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
This is a test shot from my K1000 backup body....just wandering around the backyard...

Griz
Very nice! What lens and what was your exposure?
07-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Very nice! What lens and what was your exposure?
Thanks! Standard F2 lens, wide open, 1/1000th. First time focusing without a split screen, so I was a bit apprehensive about the outcome.

Griz
07-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
First time focusing without a split screen, so I was a bit apprehensive about the outcome.
Actually I find the dirt smudge, er micro prism ring, in the K1000 to be fairly good for focusing, but I myself am glad I got an early SE not just so that I could be a cool hipster with a totally different brown body camera, but also because it has the split prism too which is handy for stuff with straight lines that is otherwise not really clearly defined for whatever reason in the micro prism (wide angles for one).

I did notice that both my Super Program and my Katzeye in my K20D have really heavy micro prisms you can always see while the K1000 has a much milder one that seems to show up more at some times than others and disappears entirely when in focus.

Hmm, the slightly soft image from being wide open actually did nifty things for that pic, I'll hafta remember that look. Was the vignetting deliberate?

07-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You certainly did yourself proud. I like the soft look to this picture and I am going to play around a bit with that look myself. And that 50mm f2 of yours is a great lens. Very under-appreciated as far as I'm concerned. Keep working with it. You will get the hang of it.

I personally tend to prefer the split image screen. My K1000 SE has it, and I had Eric install one in my KM as well (that camera typically came with just the micro prism focus screen like your K1000 has.) I have also installed the Katz Eye screens in both my *ist DL2 and my K7, and I would not be without them. They are a little pricey but they are well worth the money in my opinion.

However, it may just be a mind game I play with myself because I use a Minolta SRT101 that only has a micro prism screen, and my images tend to turn out well focused and sharp with that camera though I am always doubting myself while I am shooting the images. It is kind of funny sometimes how our mind will mess with us if we let it.
08-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Actually I find the dirt smudge, er micro prism ring, in the K1000 to be fairly good for focusing, but I myself am glad I got an early SE not just so that I could be a cool hipster with a totally different brown body camera, but also because it has the split prism too which is handy for stuff with straight lines that is otherwise not really clearly defined for whatever reason in the micro prism (wide angles for one).

I did notice that both my Super Program and my Katzeye in my K20D have really heavy micro prisms you can always see while the K1000 has a much milder one that seems to show up more at some times than others and disappears entirely when in focus.

Hmm, the slightly soft image from being wide open actually did nifty things for that pic, I'll hafta remember that look. Was the vignetting deliberate?
All of my film camera experience up until this roll was with ME Super bodies, so using the micro prism alone is new territory for me. Definitely a nice surprise though when the negs hit the light table.

The vignetting was done via the enlarger.....100% burn on the edges.

Griz
08-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
You certainly did yourself proud. I like the soft look to this picture and I am going to play around a bit with that look myself. And that 50mm f2 of yours is a great lens. Very under-appreciated as far as I'm concerned. Keep working with it. You will get the hang of it.

I personally tend to prefer the split image screen. My K1000 SE has it, and I had Eric install one in my KM as well (that camera typically came with just the micro prism focus screen like your K1000 has.) I have also installed the Katz Eye screens in both my *ist DL2 and my K7, and I would not be without them. They are a little pricey but they are well worth the money in my opinion.

However, it may just be a mind game I play with myself because I use a Minolta SRT101 that only has a micro prism screen, and my images tend to turn out well focused and sharp with that camera though I am always doubting myself while I am shooting the images. It is kind of funny sometimes how our mind will mess with us if we let it.
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll definitely keep working with this combination. I've had this K1000 since my sister gave it to me for a backup in the early '80's, and this is the first time I've run a roll through it. Wanted to make sure there were no light leaks, and that all functions worked well....no use having a backup if doesn't work properly! It never skipped a beat, no light leaks, shutter is accurate, and exposures are dead on....couldn't be happier! I'll post a few more photos after the next darkroom session.

Griz

08-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I don't have the source readily available (because I can't remember where I read it) but years ago I read somewhere the focusing screen in the K1000 was designed to focus like that. The disappearing microprism indicates the image is properly focused.

Edit: Maybe it was in the K1000 manual, http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_K1000L.pdf, page 12 where it says:
QuoteQuote:
With this system, when your subject is in focus, the image in the microprism center will be sharp. If your subject is not in focus, the microprism will break the image up into many small dots.

Last edited by builttospill; 08-02-2012 at 11:03 AM.
08-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #54

Here are a couple of more from the same roll, as promised. Had to print between thunder storms today:

K1000, SMC M50 F2, wide open, 1/1000th, HP5+

Griz
08-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A Little Mountain Snow

Certainly not as nice as yours but a little sample taken on plain old Kodak Gold 100 last fall.

08-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
...a comment by someone I've met since I read this the first time. He said, "It's the best camera ever made. You could hammer nails with it."
I recently had a lens cleaned; the camera shop guys also appreciated K1000s. I told the one who cleaned the lens the above story. He said, he once serviced a K1000 whose bottom plate was all bent in -- he cupped his hand in a curve -- & bumpy. He said the owners claimed they had hammered tent pegs in with it. The camera still worked.

This is a great story, but... ummm, camping...? You couldn't find a ROCK?
08-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #57

I like the effect the falling snow gave you, nice shot! It's been a long time since I've used any color neg film. I need to get that color kit up and running, just don't have the $$ right now to send the other Super off to Eric.....all good things, they say....

Griz
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I just saw another K1000!!
To understand how momentous this was, you have to know that I am the only person I know of in this community who still uses film; I have to order it on eBay anymore, & it's an all-day trip to the nearest place to have it done. On a recent stint doing souvenir sales for a tall-ships festival, among some 10,000 people who toured the boat in 3 ports, I saw ONE film camera (it wasn't a Pentax).
I think it's pretty funny that this one caught my eye across the parking lot at the farmers' market, at least 60 feet away. "Hey... !!... No, it couldn't be..." "It must be a digicam; just one that was made to look retro..." "But... but... it LOOKS like..."
Finally I had to go over & look. I circled round the people & yes, there was a late-teen-ish girl with a K1000 around her neck. I pounced, "That IS a K1000!"
I think they thought I was a little strange. I was hoping to find some kindred-spirit film-love, but after a half-interested acknowledgement of my comment that that was what I used, & what a great camera it was, they said it was the girl's mother's, & then went back to their conversation.
Oh well. It was nice to see one.
Feel like I spotted an ivory-billed woodpecker or something equally nearly-extinct.
Made my day though
08-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sad to say, the young lady probably would rather of had a digital camera instead of her mom's K1000.

I've never seen one in the wild. Great story.
08-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I just saw another K1000!!
Feel like I spotted an ivory-billed woodpecker or something equally nearly-extinct.
Made my day though
I know EXACTLY how you feel.

I primarily use three film cameras 95% of the time I have a camera. One is the K1000, and I have never seen another one. The second is my Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super B (a magnificent piece of art and awesome lenses) and I am not sure there is another one outside of some pawn shop in the entire State of Nevada. Finally I use my 645Nii, and when I am packing that baby everyone thinks I am a pro and they get out of my way. With that camera around my neck I have gotten into all kinds of places, even the local airstrip when some high falutin politician was flying in to proselytize errr, campaign.

But, I have gotten used to being the local oddball. The last place in town to get film developed that I know of is Wal-Mart, and they don't return the negs anymore so I am down to mail order labs and one week, or longer, turn around times. Fortunately there are still some very good mail order labs out there.