Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I collect Takumar since more than 2 years now... I've almost all of them, many are in mint/near mint condition, but this is an extremely long task, asking to spend hours and hours to search them, as I do not want to pay them more than they normally sell. Getting a lens with fr/rr caps, hood and leather case is not that difficult, having the original box is far much difficult. They generally sell 2-5 times that it would value without the box...

07-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
I collect Takumar since more than 2 years now... I've almost all of them, many are in mint/near mint condition, but this is an extremely long task, asking to spend hours and hours to search them, as I do not want to pay them more than they normally sell. Getting a lens with fr/rr caps, hood and leather case is not that difficult, having the original box is far much difficult. They generally sell 2-5 times that it would value without the box...
Welcome to PentaxForums CarbonR! One member here (Seamuis, also at mflenses) likes boxed items. I don't worry about the boxes that much. I' wold sell the boxes if it would raise money for other lenses. The catch would be a warranty card with the serial number on it.
07-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #33

I sold my KM and three k-mount lenses to move to Spotmatic and Takumars to save money. Of course, now it looks like building a kit would cost even more, and I don't have nearly as many options. Now I'm considering moving back to k-mount...
07-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Welcome to PentaxForums CarbonR! One member here (Seamuis, also at mflenses) likes boxed items. I don't worry about the boxes that much. I' wold sell the boxes if it would raise money for other lenses. The catch would be a warranty card with the serial number on it.
"Warranty card with the serial number on it"....SPOT ON!
Regards, Pickles.

07-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #35
Inactive Account

I never understood why people "collect" lenses. It's a shame that there's TONS of perfectly good old lenses just sitting on someones shelf.

I've always thought if you have it, USE it, enjoy it. Don't just look at it, and think about dollar signs.
07-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John nich Quote
I never understood why people "collect" lenses. It's a shame that there's TONS of perfectly good old lenses just sitting on someones shelf.

I've always thought if you have it, USE it, enjoy it. Don't just look at it, and think about dollar signs.
Collect doesn't necessary mean you don't use them. My collection has over 400 lenses I use all of them, the only difference is it takes longer to get to know/try them all.

Maybe you should try to "collect" and perhaps you will finally understand.
07-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

I agree. I often wonder if people who collect large amounts of lenses even take photos. I don't always think it's about the dollar signs though.

07-24-2010, 02:32 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have a "mania" for collecting.
I'm selective in what I buy, & I like to think that I will have a use for the lens, & will be a little creative (for me!) when I use it.
I'm not interested in a great many of lenses that are available, but for me, using something that is in "factory" condition, increases the enjoyment of handling & using that item.
I'm the same with my car, which is a 2006 GTO. Plenty of them around....but not in the same condition as mine....which gives me great pride & enjoyment when I'm "using" it!
Cheers, Pickles.
07-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I know many collectors of lenses, hundreds of people; not a single one of them does not use them. There is more than ample proof -- all of them post photos taken with those collected lenses. You are correct about there being 'TONS' of them, however.
Attached Images

07-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
$300 for the 105 is high at THIS point, even for the Super Multi Coated. Yeah, prices are going nuts, but you can still get lucky.

I got an m42 S-M-C 200 4 for 60 bucks a few weeks ago. But recently paid $240--yes, $240-- for a Super T 35 2.

I have my heart set on an S-Tak 17 fisheye (hardly a fisheye on an APS-C), and I expect to be lucky to find one for between $400 and $500.
$300 for the 105 is crazy. I paid that much for my SuperTak 85/1.9. Cosmetically it's not mint, but the glass was perfect, and you'd figure that's the important part right?

As said above, this issue isn't help by the fact that people are slapping them on digital cameras. Great idea and all, but it kinda leaves those of us with M42 cameras in the lurch.
07-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

One of the reasons I collect them is to piss people like you off. Collection isn't unusual. Some people collect stamps, some people collect coins, some people collect watches and some Lionel trains.

I do use my lenses and I do enjoy them. I also enjoy them when I'm kicking back and looking at there innate beauty, craftsmanship and engineering.

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I agree. I often wonder if people who collect large amounts of lenses even take photos. I don't always think it's about the dollar signs though.
Fractal you know that many of the people on this board do in fact use their lenses. Even if they don't, its no different from people who collect stamps, coins, Lionel or Marx trains or any 1000 other possibilities.