Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not goodbye

Well, I have officially sold my K100D - now my only Pentax camera is the ME Super. I'm buying a Canon G11 p&s which will be my main camera going forward.

Samsung NX was tempting, but too much of a bulky, expensive, slavish imitation of the SLR system. If Pentax ever does the mirrorless interchangeable thing, my suggestion is to use a smaller sensor, say 12mmx9mm, and a small, collapsing kit lens with walkaround-level zoom range like 28-125 mm-e, and do the unexpected - no backward compatibility!

Anyway, I'll be bringing out the ME Super whenever I have a craving for shallow depth of field. I still have an A 28/2.8 and A 50/1.7. And no, I'm a little too attached to them to trade them for M versions.

I'll post some film shots soon.

--
Michael Barkowski
www: blog
Flickr: Michael Barkowski

Last edited by Michael Barker; 07-16-2010 at 07:23 AM.
07-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking forward to your ME Super shots. If you don't mind my asking, why are you giving up on the K100D? I'm very fond of mine (and I have a K10D, too). I shoot the K10D more often these days, but I'm not in love with it the way I am the K100D. I've been tempted by the G11, too, but in my opinion, the IQ of the P&Ss no matter how good, just doesn't touch the SLRs.

Best,
Kevin
07-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
This is a side hobby for me, my photo-taking opportunities are mainly incidental and I can't lug around the DSLR, much less the whole kit, on top of all the kid stuff that needs to go on family outings. I've also never been completely happy with the viewfinder, to be honest with you. Only the optical viewfinders of things like the ME Super and the K1000 really float my boat.

I've really enjoyed the K100D, I've learned a lot from it, so I don't regret the years I've spent with Pentax DSLRs at all.

My goals for photography have congealed somewhat - I do it primarily for my own benefit as a mental exercise. I think I still have a long road to discover in the field of photographic creativity and ideas, which has nothing to do with the gear. The process is a big thing for me - as long as I'm comfortable and relaxed in the process, and also going on some sort of a journey with it, I'm happy. So it's not important to me to be able to produce every possible great shot in a given situation. I'd just like to attempt to find one good shot. Not that I don't need good equipment - I do need something I can play with and be creative with - something I won't get bored with, that can channel my creative energy. This is not my only hobby, but it's here to stay, and this decision is about me progressing with it.

The quality of the G11is finally just good enough in my eyes. I posted a big blurb on why I think the G11 is good enough on my blog - see the links above. Essentially I think it offers some new creative palette without removing too much of my existing one. The G11 can shoot ISO800 with a quality that meets my standards. And I think I'd like to explore studio lighting techniques at some point, and the G11 actually is very well integrated from that standpoint. I love snorkelling, so who knows, someday I might even go for the waterproof case.

I don't see the G11 as a replacement for the K100D - I see it as a change, which involves some carefully considered trade-offs. I'm losing certain image qualities and gaining others, losing certain types of flexibility and gaining others.

Last edited by Michael Barker; 07-17-2010 at 01:19 PM.
07-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Michael, thanks for taking the time to write such an in-depth response and point me at your blog...I'll definitely take a look. I'm with you about dragging the camera gear all over God's green acre (and I don't have any kids in tow, so I can just imagine how tough it is with little ones and all their gear).

I'm also with you on the ME Super's viewfinder. I got into film after having the photography bug really bite with the advent of digital. I kept reading old "filmies" posts in various forums bitching about dim viewfinders or worse yet, about EVFs and how bad they were and I really didn't "get" what they were talking about. Funny thing is that my first camera was an ME Super given to be by my father ehen I was in my twenties, although I doubt I shot 200 frames with it back then. It wasn't until last May (2009) when I borrowed the very same camera back from my dad (who had borrowed it back from me some 15 years ago when his camera developed a light leak) that I saw what people were talking about. I put a 20mm lens on the ME Super, put it up to my eye and thought I was going to fall in.

I feel like I'm at a crossroads in my photography, too. I find myself shooting mostlly film these days (and it's getting bloody expensive). The gear is amazingly cheap, but the processing, scanning, and printing are getting a little too pricey. I am sometimes more interested in the process of capturing the image than the image itself, too. I work in the arts as a musician and teacher, so it's nice to work in an artistic arena that I have very little ego wrapped up in - I'm more than willing to fail as a photographer in ways that I would never be comfortable doing as a singer <g>.

I'm certainly not knocking the G11, either. The gentleman who owns the photo store I frequent shoots a G11 and has given up on SLRs altogether. I've been to exhibits of his work and it's first rate.

I wish you the very best of luck in your future photographic endeavours and sincerely hope the G11 does what you want it to do for you. And by all means, post your ME Super stuff here.

Regards,
Kevin

07-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

I feel like I'm at a crossroads in my photography, too. I find myself shooting mostlly film these days (and it's getting bloody expensive). The gear is amazingly cheap, but the processing, scanning, and printing are getting a little too pricey. I am sometimes more interested in the process of capturing the image than the image itself, too. I work in the arts as a musician and teacher, so it's nice to work in an artistic arena that I have very little ego wrapped up in - I'm more than willing to fail as a photographer in ways that I would never be comfortable doing as a singer <g>.

Regards,
Kevin
I also feel I'm at the crossroads. Film tugs at my heart far more than megapixels, but if I need to know I've got the shot, I want digital. If I'm traveling, I don't want to deal with a lead bag full of film. And film is expensive and time consuming, especially when you add the scan phase. But film sings a song I can't get out of my head.

For now, any shooting that is just for me will involve a film body. For my unpaid gigs, the security of that screen on the back just can't be passed up.

Oh, and I really like my K100d as well. It is the only body I have from which I use the jpegs as well as raw.
07-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great analogy, Gene. One of the forum stalwarts (and I'm embarassed to say I can't remember who) has said they shoot digital for other people and film for themselves. I find myself in exactly the same position; if it gotta hasta musta be right, I shoot digital. I manage to screw up as many of those shots as I do film - difference being I know I've dropped the ball right then and there.

One more quick observation - I have a ZX-5n that I bought from Woof. It's an excellent camera, producing consistently great images, but it isn't nearly as much fun to shoot as my ME Super (or my Spottie w/ a sketchy meter). I somehow feel more responsible for the image with the older film bodies where you don't get as much help from the camera.

Best,
Kevin
07-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

One more quick observation - I have a ZX-5n that I bought from Woof. It's an excellent camera, producing consistently great images, but it isn't nearly as much fun to shoot as my ME Super (or my Spottie w/ a sketchy meter). I somehow feel more responsible for the image with the older film bodies where you don't get as much help from the camera.

Best,
Kevin
I have exactly the same feeling about the ZX-L vs. any of my 70s or 80s bodies. There are a number of reasons for this--including the feel of the cameras, esepecially the all-mechanical MX--however, I've come to realize that the number one reason is the viewfinder. It is a joy to look through the old finders, and I have come to realize that with those finders, I beat the heck out of any autofocus in accuracy and speed, especially indoors.
07-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I can see the appeal of a non-dslr, due to the inconvenience of having to haul around so much equipment, but would be discouraged by the limited zoom range and grossly inaccurate viewfinder. On the other hand, the G11 does't seem to have a lot of competition. Did you consider any other models?

I agree that the k100/200 viewfinders leave something to be desired vs. the old 35mm viewfinders, which is particularly why I wonder about the G11.

Paul

07-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter

The G11 has a decent optical viewfinder and is as easy to use and frame with as a Leica or other film rangefinder camera. If framing is critical, you simply use the LCD. If I were looking for a quality lightweight/compact alternative to a dSLR, the G11 would be at the top of my list. As it is, an ancient G2 and my film cameras fill that slot.

Steve
07-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
On the other hand, the G11 doesn't seem to have a lot of competition. Did you consider any other models?
I considered the S90, Fuji EXR models, and Samsung EX-1 because of image quality, but the controls on the G11 really shine in comparison - ISO and exposure compensation dials plus another dial for Av/Tv, plus some useful buttons including a custom button.

I considered EVIL cameras for a long, long time. Nothing that has come out so far meets the compactness/versatility/price equation - see my suggestion in the OP. I tried the Samsung NX recently and was surprised to realize that if I am using Live View, I would prefer to be using controls (zoom, focus) that are on the camera, not on the lens.

As far as the viewfinder goes, on the G11 I see myself using almost exclusively live view, but the optical is not bad; only 77% but at least it zooms, and there's a Quickshot mode displaying all settings on the LCD when using the OVF.

The ME Super I've only had about a year. I had a K1000 a long time ago. I think I like the ME Super better for Av mode, although I kind of miss the analogue needle in the K1000 VF. I get about 7.5MP images from my Epson 2450 scanner. Ilford XP2 has very satisfying range/response compared to the digitals, there is so much I can do with those images in Curves. I'm really just getting started with the film stuff too. I could probably learn a lot from these forums.

Here's an image from last year as an example. In this one I basically used Curves to get as much texture as I could find and also have some pure blacks and whites.
Attached Images

07-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
I considered the S90, Fuji EXR models, and Samsung EX-1 because of image quality, but the controls on the G11 really shine in comparison - ISO and exposure compensation dials plus another dial for Av/Tv, plus some useful buttons including a custom button.
I must say, though, the decision is not made 100% until I hand over the wallet. And I find this news significantly diverting: Panasonic DMC-LX5K Support and Service Information. This is not the forum to discuss it in though