Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Early Vs. Late model Spotmatic

I saw this thread- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/56010-early-spotmatic.html - while looking around earlier today. I'm fairly confused. My camera has early model fonts and late-model parts. How can this be? Is their a way to date it using the serial number? (I had heard some rumours about batch numbering vs. date of production numbering, but couldn't confirm either way.
My camera's serial number is 1154240, if that helps.

Any information is appreciated.

07-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you find another number on the back lower right of the body like 231 or 23102? Based on the serial #, I'm inclined to think its a later version but those numbers are more definitive.
07-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, there isn't any other numbers. I think maybe the camera went in for CLA and had some parts replaced?
It has a fairly recent service mark inside. I had heard something about the film rollers changing over time?
07-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
No, there isn't any other numbers. I think maybe the camera went in for CLA and had some parts replaced?
It has a fairly recent service mark inside. I had heard something about the film rollers changing over time?
That's highly possible. Woof may know how to tell. The serial # isn't a reliable way because of an overlap period even though your serial seems just beyond the overlap. However, replacement top plates would have a "new" serial #.

07-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everything except the meter switch and frame counter looks to be early model. I don't know much about serial numbers, but the # on mine, as with all the other writing, seems to be in the early-style font. I think the top plate is original, with replacement switch, counter, and bottom plate having been put on later. The bottom plate is in EXTREMELY good condition, but the screws that hold it in look like they've been removed a time or two. Is there a way to trace the serial numbers?
07-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Everything except the meter switch and frame counter looks to be early model. I don't know much about serial numbers, but the # on mine, as with all the other writing, seems to be in the early-style font. I think the top plate is original, with replacement switch, counter, and bottom plate having been put on later. The bottom plate is in EXTREMELY good condition, but the screws that hold it in look like they've been removed a time or two. Is there a way to trace the serial numbers?
There isn't really a way to trace a specific serial #.