Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Pentax Forum's local astrophotographer, Nightfly, has been testing Gold 200 in shooting the cosmos. And he posted an earth-bound pugly shot with it and I too was amazed of what it's looking like these days.
That is cute. Here is one from my trip, taken with an Olympus XA2. (I wish I'd had a film SLR and my FA35) For some reason, the Gold 200 colors caught the mood better than my K-x:

07-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That is cute. Here is one from my trip, taken with an Olympus XA2. (I wish I'd had a film SLR and my FA35) For some reason, the Gold 200 colors caught the mood better than my K-x:
Yes, really nice color and a better example.
07-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK, Kodak Gold 200 it is. Thanks for the helpful and patient advice!
07-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yes, really nice color and a better example.
+1 on that one...

Steve

(Memo to self...buy Gold 200 the next time you see it for sale to shoot in the XA...)

07-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
+1 on that one...

Steve

(Memo to self...buy Gold 200 the next time you see it for sale to shoot in the XA...)
Adorama still has a screaming deal on it at $2.25/$2.49 for 100/200 135 36exp. I bought a bunch a while back, and it now lives in my XA2 and/or Stylus. (I really need to see if my beat up XA can be saved). I'm now down to $0.15 per click on those cameras including processing.
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...you be a total noob...

Negative film produces a photographic negative when processed. To get a viewable image, that negative must be printed to photographic paper or scanned and reversed to a positive with software.

Reversal (Slide) film produces a positive transparent image when processed. Photos taken with slide film were originally intended for optical projection to a viewing screen.

Conventional wisdom has been that negative film is more forgiving and slide film is more demanding of appropriate exposure. Slide film also has the reputation of having higher contrast and higher color saturation. These generalizations have become somewhat less true with current films. All current moderate speed (ISO 100-200) films, both negative and reversal, have fine grain.

For film noobs, I would recommend Kodak Gold 200 for those first couple of color film outings. It is forgiving, has reasonably fine grain, and good color. Portra 160VC would also be good. I personally shoot Ektar 100, but it is sort of picky about exposure. Slide film is expensive to process and more difficult to scan. Unless you need its "special" characteristics, I would avoid Velvia and other slide films.

Steve
Actually E6 processing is cheaper than you think. My local lab charges:

35mm/36 exp – E6 processing: $8.00CDN
35mm/36 exp – E6 processing/mounting: $9.50CDN
35mm/36 exp – C41 processing: $4.95CDN

With a slide you have the finished product and can view in on a light table or project it. With negatives you still have to get it scanned or printed, which may or may not add additional costs if you get the lab to do it.

I agree for the OP Colour negative film is the way to go.

Phil.
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

With a slide you have the finished product and can view in on a light table or project it. With negatives you still have to get it scanned or printed, which may or may not add additional costs if you get the lab to do it.

Phil.
Those are great prices.

I can't really say that a slide is a finished product anymore than the neg, though. Not too many people really want to watch the old carousel these days.

07-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Those are great prices.

I can't really say that a slide is a finished product anymore than the neg, though. Not too many people really want to watch the old carousel these days.
The Kodak carousel slide trays are really cheap these days; I'm getting them for a fraction of what they cost 10 years ago.

I’m also in heaven looking at them on a light table using a photo loupe.

Phil.
07-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The Kodak carousel slide trays are really cheap these days; I'm getting them for a fraction of what they cost 10 years ago.

I’m also in heaven looking at them on a light table using a photo loupe.

Phil.
I really need to find something that is worth taking at a buck-fifty a click, because I've always wanted to do that with a 6x7 slide.
07-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
On the theme of Kodak Gold 200. This film has very good reciprocity and color stability characteristics which make it useful for long exposures in night work.

The Gap on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kodak Gold 200 Test- Milky Way on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
07-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #26

Phil.
I just had a roll of Ektachrome processed, cut and mounted, all for $10 at Blue Moon. They would have done just the processing for $3.
07-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
I just had a roll of Ektachrome processed, cut and mounted, all for $10 at Blue Moon. They would have done just the processing for $3.
Sounds like that might be the way to go for E-6. I've not seen the "process only" option on any price fliers, but it makes sense that the mounting would be a big part of the cost.
07-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I've had E6 processing done at Pro Photo Supply for $10/roll, cut but not mounted. Haven't even considered buying another roll since then.
07-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wow! When did Bluemoon start doing E6? The $10 figure is pretty much the standard, but $3 uncut is outrageously cheap. Citizens Photo on the "East Bank" does E6 mounted in-house for $8.50 with 24hr turn-around. They are supposed to do good work, but also have the reputation of being rude to noobs. If I ever start shooting 4x5 Velvia or Ektar 100, it will go to Citizen's.

Steve

(Please forgive the "Portland Talk"...)
07-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #30

Any worldwide ebay film seller to recommend?

Amancio...