Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1000 and K20D

I was thinking about throwing some b&w film in my new K1000 and shooting some portraits with off camera lighting. My question is, if I get the lighting right on my K20D, will the same camera settings (ISO/ASA, Shutter (1/60), Aperture) work on the K1000 or would there be some sort of difference that I am not thinking about? Also, is it easy to get high resolution scans of the negatives?

07-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I was thinking about throwing some b&w film in my new K1000 and shooting some portraits with off camera lighting. My question is, if I get the lighting right on my K20D, will the same camera settings (ISO/ASA, Shutter (1/60), Aperture) work on the K1000 or would there be some sort of difference that I am not thinking about? Also, is it easy to get high resolution scans of the negatives?
Many people use a dSLR for testing lighting and exposure for film shots. In the large format world, this practice has pretty much replaced Polaroid test shots. The K1000 will have somewhat less DOF for a particular aperture and lens. You should also expect some differences in spectral response of your film vs. the dSLRs white balance with monochrome conversion.

Yes, high resolution scans are available, though you will have to decide what you are willing to pay and whether the negative is worth the money. Usually, 35mm film images are not good enough to justify scanning to more than about 2000 x 3000 pixels (8x10" printed).

Steve
07-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Maybe you could try the inverse as a test. That is, aim the K1000 at a scene, get a reading, put the K20D in manual mode at that exposure and shoot?
07-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maybe you could try the inverse as a test. That is, aim the K1000 at a scene, get a reading, put the K20D in manual mode at that exposure and shoot?
I'd have to (figure out how and) replace the battery first

07-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
There are examples of this technique all over. If you look at my night shots with the SightSeeing Screwmount SV here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/45892-sightsee...wmount-52.html . I took test shots with my K10D to get what I was looking for, and then applied those settings to the SV to get these shots.
08-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Many people use a dSLR for testing lighting and exposure for film shots. In the large format world, this practice has pretty much replaced Polaroid test shots. The K1000 will have somewhat less DOF for a particular aperture and lens. You should also expect some differences in spectral response of your film vs. the dSLRs white balance with monochrome conversion.

Yes, high resolution scans are available, though you will have to decide what you are willing to pay and whether the negative is worth the money. Usually, 35mm film images are not good enough to justify scanning to more than about 2000 x 3000 pixels (8x10" printed).

Steve
Steve, interesting to know that now they use DSLR to test (set) the film light and exposure for large format film shots.

Will the 1.5 crop factor or the sensor affect the setting in the film camera?

Thanks,
08-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
Steve, interesting to know that now they use DSLR to test (set) the film light and exposure for large format film shots.

Will the 1.5 crop factor or the sensor affect the setting in the film camera?

Thanks,
The crop factor should not be an issue as long as you are framing the same subject. Your film of choice may react differently to light than the dSLRs sensor, but that is to be expected.

Steve

P.S. It is my understanding that when shooting "the last roll of Kodachrome", Steve McCurry did dSLR test exposures for every shot before risking even one of the final 36 exposures.
08-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The crop factor should not be an issue as long as you are framing the same subject. Your film of choice may react differently to light than the dSLRs sensor, but that is to be expected.

Steve

P.S. It is my understanding that when shooting "the last roll of Kodachrome", Steve McCurry did dSLR test exposures for every shot before risking even one of the final 36 exposures.
Steve: Thanks for your answer. Interesting about Steve McCurry. I got to check it out.