Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Common LX Issues buyers need to be aware of

I’ve been thinking of picking up an LX for the past several years now. I always wanted one back in the 80s when I got my MX. The MX is a fine camera but I recall picking up an LX in the store and being so impressed with how smooth the film advance was. I was also impressed with the interchangeable finders. I was always scared away by the infamous sticky mirror problem which seems to plague this unit.

My questions are directed to those of you to those of you who still use the LX and have had it serviced.

Once cleaned, lubed and adjusted by Eric or other qualified folks does the sticky mirror problem go away for good or is it a recurring issue?

Are there any other common problems one needs to be aware of when looking for a used LX?

Thanks in advance.

Tom G

07-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as I know, that is the major issue. Other than that, any film camera issue can occur (bad seals, foam bit on the screen or in the viewfinder, etc. I had mine completely serviced by Eric last year, and other than changing the battery once, have had no reason to doubt its reliability. As you said, the advance is buttery smooth and QUICK! A lovely camera to use, however, I just don't tend to use mine any more (last time was around April).
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The sticky mirror has not been a problem post-Eric. The camera has worked perfectly and is wonderful in hand.
07-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Sticky mirror, and also both the ISO resistor and aperture cam follower resistor are prone to corroding.
The latter two were IIRC, licked by putting in resistors that used gold instead of copper.