Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need some recommendations

Hello friends

I always told myself that someday i'd buy a film SLR just for the heck of it. But now, i've made up my mind and i really wanna get one.
Prices are quite cheap too which is a good thing, the only tho is: which one??

I've been roaming various threads to see which ones were more popular or better but it seems theres many (ME, Me super, KX, LX, MX....)
So i've checked the camera section of the forum trying to figure out which one would be the best pick only to confuse myself even more...

So i'd like to get some recommendations on which on to, also at a fair price (i know for example, the LX or the MZ-S are quite costy) and i don't want any of the AF models.

07-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, you'll enjoy the experience. And not wanting one of the AF models is a big plus

My recommendation isn't the usual specific model, but rather this:
first, figure out if you want manual exposure only, or one of the auto exposure models.

If manual, any of the models will do the trick - MX is nice and petite, KX/KM/K1000 are larger and heavier, all metal.

If auto, ME Super, Super Program or Program Plus are all petite and effective. The only real operational difference at this remove is how many modes and controls the camera has - they all have manual exposure, and the program models will do Av at least simply by putting your lens on a f stop instead of A. (Yes, there are viewfinder etc differences but in real life, all are pretty close)

So, my recommendation: within each category, the first one(s) that are in the condition you want, come with a lens you want, and at a price you like is/are the one(s) for you.

An example of my own: while the Super Program is "the" program model with all the features, I bought a Program Plus in excellent shape, as it came with a SMC-A 28/2.8 and at a low price. I haven't missed the Super P, nor the ME Super. I bought a KX because I liked it & it was for sale at the local camera store. I haven't missed the MX or anything else.

This all by the way is assuming you're not ready yet for the REAL Pentaxes: the Spotmatics
07-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nesster covered it. If you narrow down what you have in mind, it will be easier to give more targeted advise. But, heck, if you find almost any manual camera in good condition and at a cheap price you can't go wrong. And that might be the best advise. Go for one in good working condition that does not streach you wallet. You won't be out much if you find it is not your thing or it will be yet another camera in your collection when you find one with the features you know you want.
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I’d recommend the KX if you want an original K series film body. Nice and meaty in size and built like a tank, with all the features that you really need. It also has a better metering system that the KM/K1000.

Phil.

07-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on your decision. All of the cameras you mention are good choices. I have a couple of MEs that I bought new and they have been great cameras. I also have an ME super, that I like for the control it gives you. I agree with some of the other posts that you decide what features you would like to have and then buy accordingly.

Good Luck and have fun. I sure enjoy my film cameras.

Mike
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nesster covered it... and that boy knows his stuff when it comes to vintage equipment!

You're right about ignoring the AF film bodies. I shoot a Ricoh KR-10 which is effectively an ME Super except even cheaper. It's built like a tank and cost me $5 with a 50mm f/2 attached (they wanted $8 but I drive a hard bargain). I would highly recommend one of those.

Now I do have one AF body that I like - It's THE original Canon EOS 650. I use a Canon 28-135 mm so I have 2 stop shake reduction. It's an awesome package, but it comes at a price.... well the lens does!
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys, that pretty much removed the confusion surrounding the subject

I'll keep you guys posted on the choice i'll make, i really appreciate the help