Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Ehh... the local shops are like the commercial ish ones, I doubt they would return it... but it wouldn't hurt to try. Anyways... Black and White developing totally empties my wallet. It's around 15$ here for 24 exposures normal print size. I wished I had my own darkroom ;/.
$15 CDN for 24 Exposure B&W? Yes, you need to soup your own film. A daylight tank with reel is pretty cheap (<$20) and chemistry is inexpensive as well (about $0.75 per roll). You can get a changing bag for loading the tank or wait until the dead of night. I load the tank at night and process the next day.

Steve

07-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$15 CDN for 24 Exposure B&W? Yes, you need to soup your own film. A daylight tank with reel is pretty cheap (<$20) and chemistry is inexpensive as well (about $0.75 per roll). You can get a changing bag for loading the tank or wait until the dead of night. I load the tank at night and process the next day.

Steve
Thanks ;D and... YES IT'S 15$ FREAKEN CND... and... they don't do it on site ;(. The last time I shot black and white outside of the classroom, it costed me 20$, 5$ for the film and 15$ for the development ;(.

Yeah I'm going to need a dark bag anyways so why not.
07-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Thanks ;D and... YES IT'S 15$ FREAKEN CND... and... they don't do it on site ;(. The last time I shot black and white outside of the classroom, it costed me 20$, 5$ for the film and 15$ for the development ;(.

Yeah I'm going to need a dark bag anyways so why not.
BW film was comparatively hard to get developed 15 years ago around my location compared to color. So today, even worse.

Do you have a bathroom without a window? If so, way more convenient than a changing bag. Stuff a towel under the door and tack up a black or thick cloth over the door on the inside. Taking the backing off 120 roll when you can clip it to the shower curtain is easy too.
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
BW film was comparatively hard to get developed 15 years ago around my location compared to color. So today, even worse.

Do you have a bathroom without a window? If so, way more convenient than a changing bag. Stuff a towel under the door and tack up a black or thick cloth over the door on the inside. Taking the backing off 120 roll when you can clip it to the shower curtain is easy too.
Yes I do! I like changing bags though ;(! You answered my next question though... where to hang them??? Seems like a good place, hope my mom doesn't touch them though.

07-28-2010, 04:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd add another nice feature about a bulk loader is you can load a reel up with as many frames (up to max of course) as you want. Right now, for example, I've finally started to shoot some old 135 Pan-X film that I've had forever. I loaded a roll up of 24 frames and after almost three weeks I still haven't shot the roll up. So the next roll I'm only going to load 12 frames so I won't have to wait as long to develop it. The film is rare so I'm not going to waste it on shooting anything.
The only downside to small rolls of a rare film is that you will lose more leader frames. I've thought of getting a bulk loader again to create smaller rolls like 12 or 20 exp. Between shooting digital and 120, I've gotten used to changing the ISO more frequently.
07-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The only downside to small rolls of a rare film is that you will lose more leader frames. I've thought of getting a bulk loader again to create smaller rolls like 12 or 20 exp. Between shooting digital and 120, I've gotten used to changing the ISO more frequently.
Great, now I'm gonna have to figure out how much is lost with 12 exp rolls with my remaining stash. I figure I have about 150 feet left. But thanks for pointing that out. I completely overlooked it.
07-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In theory scratches are at least 50% more likely on bulk loaded film,
due to an additional pass through the light baffle on the cartridge lip during loading,
and the greater likelihood of grit or debris on the felt of a reused cartridge.
Avoid trouble by using better quality reloadable cartridges and examine them before each reuse.

In the past I bulk loaded my own film but haven't done so in years, as I now use much less film.
But I will keep my bulk loader, in case those little yellow and green boxes ever disappear from store shelves...

Chris