Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

HELP- in need of M42 screwmount adapter!

Hi, I bought today a Yashinon-DX 50mm f 1.7 lens with a Pentax screwmount. I was very excited about this lens, until I realized that my K-x needs an adapter to work.. I have looked online and read that the third party brands can get jammed, mess with the infinity (I'm new to this- not sure what that means), and overall just not work. Also, I'm a student.. with no extra money. The last 20 bucks I had went to that lens! Obviously, I can't afford the real price of the Pentax adapter right now. If anyone knows of a way for me to get my hands on a genuine one, OR know of a third party brand that works.. that would be great.

Thanks!

07-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no screw-mount lens but I was planning ahead and got an Adorama variety for $16 (without the flat tool shown in the photo :-(

However, I'm sure everyone will recommend (probably wisely) to get the real deal from Pentax for just about $30+.
07-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having had very poor luck personally with the Adorama adapter, I would suggest waiting until you can manage the "real deal" Pentax.

Steve
07-24-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Back when the genuine one was in short supply, (Pentaxian term for 'unavailable'), I bought the Bower adapter from B&H - a bunch of them are similar. It works, it does the job, only there will be a day when it rotates too far into the K mount and you'll have a moment of anxiety: how are you going to get it off? The other thing that starts to happen is that the adapter comes off with the lens.

The K/M42 adapter is meant to fit entirely inside the K mount. If there's a flange - some of them have it - you won't be able to get infinity focus as the thickness of the flange makes registration distance too long.

But accepting these eventualities vs. cost is a part of life, and as I said, the thing does do the job. As an adult, you can make the choice of trade off.

The DX is an excellent lens by the way, I have some Yashinons, though not that particular one. Congratulations on making the M42 leap, I'm sure you'll have fun and will amaze yourself at the cost-benefit ratio of the lenses.

07-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Back when the genuine one was in short supply, (Pentaxian term for 'unavailable'), I bought the Bower adapter from B&H - a bunch of them are similar. It works, it does the job, only there will be a day when it rotates too far into the K mount and you'll have a moment of anxiety: how are you going to get it off?
It does happen to me as described exactly. I suggest you wait for the real one.

sein06231