Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Es 11....opinions please?

I don't really know much about the ES 11, but as it's really one of the "last of the line, (except Spotmatic F?), I would think it should be pretty good. I think I may have heard (NOT SURE!), that "maybe" sometimes the electronics may play up, or maybe that some of these "electronic" parts cannot be repaired/replaced, as the parts are no longer available?
As I said, I don't know much about them, so I'm hopeful of a few opinions, & a bit of info from some users.
Cheers, Pickles.

07-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #2

First of all, it is called ES II (like number two, not number eleven), ES means "Electro Spotmatic".

My battered copy had so far no electronic problems, if problems, then mechanical, like a delayed mirror or inaccurate shutter button - CLA needed. The information about repair problems is new to me, I've heard this only about the K2 and KM bodies.

I was not really thrilled by the camera, because there's no metering in manual modes (similar to rangefinders of the 70ties) and the lenses are usable (with adapter) on K-mount bodies, that's why I don't use the ES II a lot.

The ES II has an very advanced type of M42 mount that requires Pentax SMC Takumars to fully benefit from the Automatic modes.
07-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have one and love it. If it came down to a choice of letting it or my K20D go I'd have to kiss the K20D goodbye. Just a few minutes ago I dropped off a roll from it to be developed.

It has viewfinder curtains which make it an excellent choice for tripod work and does exposures up to eight seconds.

You can meter in manual mode; you just have to do it in the stopped down fashion and there is a somewhat limited set of shutter speeds to choose from.

The camera does work best (easiest) with SMC and S-M-C Takumars (which have the requisite metering lug on the rear of the lens which interacts with the camera) but all Takumars work quite well.
07-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Mike on this (as usual) - the ES-II is an excellent and fun camera.

Yes, it has the limitation in manual mode - limited shutter speeds, and you have to transfer the shutter speed yourself (or, change aperture till the needle points to your chosen shutter speed). It probably was a design decision - they probably thought the use of older Taks would result in exposure errors (metering wide open but not compensating for aperture set) and had no other reliable way to force these into manual stop down.

Re. repair parts - Eric still has the meter boards, I had mine replaced as part of a CLA as my ES-II was meter-dead when I bought it.

07-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vranx Quote
First of all, it is called ES II (like number two, not number eleven), ES means "Electro Spotmatic".
Remember that there was an Electro Spotmatic, ES and ES II.

My battered copy had so far no electronic problems, if problems, then mechanical, like a delayed mirror or inaccurate shutter button - CLA needed. The information about repair problems is new to me, I've heard this only about the K2 and KM bodies.
The only common issue with the K2 is the aperture ring and even that is a combination of age and lack of use. The KM only has circuitry for the meter.

I was not really thrilled by the camera, because there's no metering in manual modes (similar to rangefinders of the 70ties) and the lenses are usable (with adapter) on K-mount bodies, that's why I don't use the ES II a lot.

The ES II has an very advanced type of M42 mount that requires Pentax SMC Takumars to fully benefit from the Automatic modes.
But it does have metered modes just like regular Spotmatics, Spot. II, Spot 1000. As far as rangefinders go, that is a lot of territory. There were fixed lens and interchangeable lens RF and many of both came with metering.
07-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The ES series was developed out of the Metallica II prototype shown at the 1966 Photokina. They were the first electronically controlled stepless shutter. However, they were cloth. The K2 came out in 1975 and had similar feature but with a metal shutter and mlu and better power management.

Unlike most Pentax bodies, The Electro Spot, ES, and ES II came in black as standard paint. Chrome was special order and its seems like 1 in 20 of the ES and ES II are chrome. The Electro Spotmatic was sold only in Japan and each of them was like a quasi prototype with constant revisions going on. The ES was the final improved version and marketed abroad. The ES II was the final update including the power source and management.

Edit: The Metallica II prototype from 1966

Compliments of AOHC
http://www.aohc.it/proto1e.htm
07-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I don't really know much about the ES 11, but as it's really one of the "last of the line, (except Spotmatic F?), I would think it should be pretty good. I think I may have heard (NOT SURE!), that "maybe" sometimes the electronics may play up, or maybe that some of these "electronic" parts cannot be repaired/replaced, as the parts are no longer available?
As I said, I don't know much about them, so I'm hopeful of a few opinions, & a bit of info from some users.
Cheers, Pickles.
All the other info aside (), a lot of the reputation of electronic failures or actually reliability issues were with the Electro Spotmatic. The ES and ES II have a good chance of being repaired and if someone like Eric Hendrickson went through it, it would last a long long time. Remember these things are nearly 40 years old so age has more to do with it than anything. The big thing for you is that you are 'down under' and Eric is 'up here.'